The Woodwork thread

silentbutdeadly

Eats Squid
Its
Buyeded one tonight. I have a router plane to set up on a bigger bench but this is for stuff the size of those bits in the pic. Have wanted to get one for ages so now I have. Spent the afternoon watching various videos and went from the cheapest to one a big further up the tree but not a huge one, just 300 ish.
Hahaha...it's still a slippery slope. We've a 15" thicknesser here. Beaten the shit out of it for over a decade and I've always been tempted to upgrade it.

Make sure you have a spare set of blades on hand too.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
I didn't want to hard mount the thicknesser to the bench, especially given the amount of detritus is spits out and so I bolted it to a trolley. I will keep the hand planes and sanders on the various shelves so it will help tidy up the storage area and when I need it I just roll it out. Plenty stable enough.

But does it work. Fark how could I not have bought one of these years ago! Straight out of the machine.

So now my wife wants to use this somewhere else and can you still make up the side table please, make that the same style as the other stuff in the lounge...

Shit.

I can see snipe will be an issue with this set up so I will either make some extension bases or buy the DeWalt ones.

ausdb

Being who he is
I didn't want to hard mount the thicknesser to the bench, especially given the amount of detritus is spits out and so I bolted it to a trolley. I will keep the hand planes and sanders on the various shelves so it will help tidy up the storage area and when I need it I just roll it out. Plenty stable enough.

But does it work. Fark how could I not have bought one of these years ago! Straight out of the machine.

So now my wife wants to use this somewhere else and can you still make up the side table please, make that the same style as the other stuff in the lounge...

Shit.

I can see snipe will be an issue with this set up so I will either make some extension bases or buy the DeWalt ones.
What are you using to get a straight/flat surface to work from?

silentbutdeadly

Eats Squid
Snipe is very hard to be rid of but the extension tables help. So does very careful setting of the bottom roller height (if you can). And I recommend you source a jar of Silver glide for the table.

With regard to that trolley...I'd suggest putting some dead weight in the bottom of it to help keep it stable with bigger chunks of timber. Your other option is to use adjustable legs on your extension tables...

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Just the base at the moment with small bits of timber. Trolley can be counterweighted and it is more solid and a bigger footprint as the proprietary base that you can buy for it.

To do bigger timber will need extensions.