The Woodwork thread

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Its
Buyeded one tonight. I have a router plane to set up on a bigger bench but this is for stuff the size of those bits in the pic. Have wanted to get one for ages so now I have. Spent the afternoon watching various videos and went from the cheapest to one a big further up the tree but not a huge one, just 300 ish.
Hahaha...it's still a slippery slope. We've a 15" thicknesser here. Beaten the shit out of it for over a decade and I've always been tempted to upgrade it.

Make sure you have a spare set of blades on hand too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I didn't want to hard mount the thicknesser to the bench, especially given the amount of detritus is spits out and so I bolted it to a trolley. I will keep the hand planes and sanders on the various shelves so it will help tidy up the storage area and when I need it I just roll it out. Plenty stable enough.

But does it work. Fark how could I not have bought one of these years ago! Straight out of the machine.

So now my wife wants to use this somewhere else and can you still make up the side table please, make that the same style as the other stuff in the lounge...

Shit.

I can see snipe will be an issue with this set up so I will either make some extension bases or buy the DeWalt ones.

ausdb

Being who he is
I didn't want to hard mount the thicknesser to the bench, especially given the amount of detritus is spits out and so I bolted it to a trolley. I will keep the hand planes and sanders on the various shelves so it will help tidy up the storage area and when I need it I just roll it out. Plenty stable enough.

But does it work. Fark how could I not have bought one of these years ago! Straight out of the machine.

So now my wife wants to use this somewhere else and can you still make up the side table please, make that the same style as the other stuff in the lounge...

Shit.

I can see snipe will be an issue with this set up so I will either make some extension bases or buy the DeWalt ones.
What are you using to get a straight/flat surface to work from?

silentbutdeadly

Snipe is very hard to be rid of but the extension tables help. So does very careful setting of the bottom roller height (if you can). And I recommend you source a jar of Silver glide for the table.

With regard to that trolley...I'd suggest putting some dead weight in the bottom of it to help keep it stable with bigger chunks of timber. Your other option is to use adjustable legs on your extension tables...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Just the base at the moment with small bits of timber. Trolley can be counterweighted and it is more solid and a bigger footprint as the proprietary base that you can buy for it.

To do bigger timber will need extensions.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nephew gave me a couple of bits to clean up for a project he has at school.

The first piece was 'cheese tree' which I had not heard of. Glochidion ferdinandi. Relatively small but lovely colour. Goes very red with a clear coat. Sap wood was often used for framing and core wood used for cabinetry in the olden days apparently. Works nicely and has a good tight grain. The piece I had to work with was 30-35 thick but badly cupped and warped. Luckily he only needed it 12-13mm thick so I managed to get the cupping out and then plane side to side to size and it is now pretty decent. Mind you it took until it was under 19mm before it cleaned up.

Then there was a slab of native tamarind which looks good but this particular piece was badly cracked and split and fungus has gotten in. Worked it to 19mm and left it there. Would be interesting with the staining from the fungus... And a piece of northern silky oak. I like to call this Hambo Robusta. It has a pink tinge compared to the SE silky oak which is more of a yellow. Have no idea what I will use it or the tamarind for but you know I have it now...

I bought the extended table for the planer and it made a huge difference feeding these longer slabs through. I also got some silver stuff to polish the faces and that works a treat as well. I am really impressed with the thicknesser.

Having it mobile is good though the shelves fill up with shavings. Swept all that up and redid the garden bed mulch with a top layer of cheese tree, tamarind and silky oak. I could gather up about 14 shovel fulls and there is at least that much floating around the grass too.

A mate of #1 saw the raw slabs and wants to commission me and the nephew to make a dining table. Raw edged slabs for a table 1800x1200x60 or so. I will need to use the router sled (that is make it) unless they are happy with 300 wide boards joined to make the table. As it is the mill only cuts about 650 wide so it would be joined in the centre anyway.

After all the metal working I have been doing it is nice to work with timber again even if I don't actually have a project for it.

silentbutdeadly

Nephew gave me a couple of bits to clean up for a project he has at school.

The first piece was 'cheese tree' which I had not heard of. Glochidion ferdinandi. Relatively small but lovely colour. Goes very red with a clear coat. Sap wood was often used for framing and core wood used for cabinetry in the olden days apparently. Works nicely and has a good tight grain. The piece I had to work with was 30-35 thick but badly cupped and warped. Luckily he only needed it 12-13mm thick so I managed to get the cupping out and then plane side to side to size and it is now pretty decent. Mind you it took until it was under 19mm before it cleaned up.

Then there was a slab of native tamarind which looks good but this particular piece was badly cracked and split and fungus has gotten in. Worked it to 19mm and left it there. Would be interesting with the staining from the fungus... And a piece of northern silky oak. I like to call this Hambo Robusta. It has a pink tinge compared to the SE silky oak which is more of a yellow. Have no idea what I will use it or the tamarind for but you know I have it now...

I bought the extended table for the planer and it made a huge difference feeding these longer slabs through. I also got some silver stuff to polish the faces and that works a treat as well. I am really impressed with the thicknesser.

Having it mobile is good though the shelves fill up with shavings. Swept all that up and redid the garden bed mulch with a top layer of cheese tree, tamarind and silky oak. I could gather up about 14 shovel fulls and there is at least that much floating around the grass too.

A mate of #1 saw the raw slabs and wants to commission me and the nephew to make a dining table. Raw edged slabs for a table 1800x1200x60 or so. I will need to use the router sled (that is make it) unless they are happy with 300 wide boards joined to make the table. As it is the mill only cuts about 650 wide so it would be joined in the centre anyway.

After all the metal working I have been doing it is nice to work with timber again even if I don't actually have a project for it.
Please tell me your are using appropriate lung protection when doing this because some of our local timbers (especially silky oak) are spectacularly unhealthy.

Cheese trees are nice though...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Please tell me your are using appropriate lung protection when doing this because some of our local timbers (especially silky oak) are spectacularly unhealthy.

Cheese trees are nice though...
Full face respirator so yep got that sorted. Moreton Bay Chestnut is a baddie too. I built a table many years ago.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Anyone generating dust indoors these one of these cyclonic dust extractors. The typical filter bag extractors are particularly useless if working with any manufacturered boards.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Anyone generating dust indoors these one of these cyclonic dust extractors. The typical filter bag extractors are particularly useless if working with any manufacturered boards.

I thought you were just meant to set up the extraction unit's inlet as near the workpiece as practicable, and the setup the exhaust through the shed wall into the neighbour's place? :p

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I thought you were just meant to set up the extraction unit's inlet as near the workpiece as practicable, and the setup the exhaust through the shed wall into the neighbour's place? :p
Or into the storm water riser at the back of your property with a back flow prevention flap for your drain…..

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Finished this today… console table for the hallway to be the dedicated keys and shit dumping ground. Tas oak, Osmo satin finish. As always, made and covered some dumb mistakes along the way but pretty happy with it.

Except for the fucking twist I managed to introduce with the bottle shelf that means the diagonals are a mm out of square on the legs so it fucking rocks forwards and back.. nothing an extra felt pad didn’t fix though so all good. Kinda pairs in nicely with the bookshelf @Jpez made me too… (stupid sideways image)

http://instagr.am/p/CjztgovO2Htrkl9gg2G1GgU1TyGlkNPEWlIkqM0/

09E43A86-AD0A-4739-BA6B-5B1F8C13DBA4.jpeg

Jpez

Down on the left!
Finished this today… console table for the hallway to be the dedicated keys and shit dumping ground. Tas oak, Osmo satin finish. As always, made and covered some dumb mistakes along the way but pretty happy with it.

Except for the fucking twist I managed to introduce with the bottle shelf that means the diagonals are a mm out of square on the legs so it fucking rocks forwards and back.. nothing an extra felt pad didn’t fix though so all good. Kinda pairs in nicely with the bookshelf @Jpez made me too… (stupid sideways image)

http://instagr.am/p/CjztgovO2Htrkl9gg2G1GgU1TyGlkNPEWlIkqM0/

View attachment 393528
Dude.if I knew you were going to set it up sideways I would never have built it for you! sheeeesh.

sideboard looks sweet! Seems you’ve definitely got some skills in that department yourself!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My 1/4" router has died. TradeTools home brand many many years old. Armature has no integrity so not worth chasing. The 30 year old 1/2" Makita is still good after a bearing and brush replacement a year or so ago but I liked the smaller unit for rounding edges etc. Looking at the equivalent Makita however the trimmers seem to be a good option. Any thoughts? I like the single handed size of the things if they will do the job for me. Cordless is too many $ for the convenience and the wee router doesn't see much work.

silentbutdeadly

My 1/4" router has died. TradeTools home brand many many years old. Armature has no integrity so not worth chasing. The 30 year old 1/2" Makita is still good after a bearing and brush replacement a year or so ago but I liked the smaller unit for rounding edges etc. Looking at the equivalent Makita however the trimmers seem to be a good option. Any thoughts? I like the single handed size of the things if they will do the job for me. Cordless is too many $ for the convenience and the wee router doesn't see much work.
The Makita 1/4" trimmers have long been ok...

Scotty675

Cable thief
I still use Makita trimmers. I’ll use them up to a 6mm radius (have taken a lot more). They aren’t what they were 20 years ago but good for $$. I have a Makita 18v trimmer permanently set up with a 2 mm radius cutter, they go alright as well.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah agreed. The aluminium housing trimmer/router is a solid tool. You can if you really desire also buy a plunge attachment for it. It’s one of those rare makita tools that hasn’t changed design in many years. ( oh how I miss my old bulletproof LS1013 dropsaw that maintained its design for something like 20plus years. The new ones are absolute junk in comparison)
Can’t go wrong with the trimmer.