The stupid questions thread.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It said gaming chair, yes.
I thought gaming was dungeons and dragons type stuff?

You may be righ

I don’t do gaming. I know people who sit 12h+ straight in them and barely get up to go to the toilet, but I believe they get dressed at least. Japanese kids are at least courteous enough to wear a nappy for their extended session
s.t.OTE]

You "know" people like that...?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Like that idea @moorey. I usually put a little grease between the fingers that are holding the outer and run the inner through it as I feed it into the outer. Its only a very thin surface layer that way and I haven't found them to get gunky, I am running full length outers which helps.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Tri-flow used to be my lube of choice for cable inners, very light and PTFE based so dirt wont stick to it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Again these things aren't sealed... only times I have seen issues with new cables was from running lube in the outer. Dry stainless on stainless is slippery for such short throws. Any grease with or without grit is going to add stiction. Clean the outer if it is dirty with some inox or alcohol blown through. Let it dru thoroughly then fit the new inner. Don't fuck with it.

You guys are weirdoes.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Go for it. If you can now google why ask questions here only to post up what you have googled? Just because someone says something doesn't make it right and that includes me. Do a test. Get some outer and run fresh inner through it dry, just move it by hand, I was going to say pull it by hand but there is too much of that going on already. Then grease the fuck out of it and try again. Then drop the greased inner on the dirt and try again.

Post up your results.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
You guys are weirdoes.
Note that "Triflow used to be" in my post, I haven't lubed a cable in years. Use high quality inners and outers and you wont have any problems. Jagwire ProSlick is good. (And if you buy the front and rear derailleur kit you can do your 1x and dropper setup instead.)

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No lube for me, and even gone back to standard cables as was sick of the optislick crumbling off then gunking things up. (Road shifter issue)

Also ran a full length outer through my frame rather than the stupid internal sleeves, shifts so much better and lasts much better as well.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Go for it. If you can now google why ask questions here only to post up what you have googled? Just because someone says something doesn't make it right and that includes me. Do a test. Get some outer and run fresh inner through it dry, just move it by hand, I was going to say pull it by hand but there is too much of that going on already. Then grease the fuck out of it and try again. Then drop the greased inner on the dirt and try again.

Post up your results.
Who are you talking to?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Again these things aren't sealed... only times I have seen issues with new cables was from running lube in the outer. Dry stainless on stainless is slippery for such short throws. Any grease with or without grit is going to add stiction. Clean the outer if it is dirty with some inox or alcohol blown through. Let it dru thoroughly then fit the new inner. Don't fuck with it.

You guys are weirdoes.
Good points @Dales Cannon light grease/lube was recommended to me and I never really thought too much about it. Will give lube free a go next time, no reason to add steps if you don't have to.

Flow-Rider

Burner
How the fuck does cash converts, the pawn shop, sell anything when all their goods are 125% of new prices?
Are you supposed to barter with them ? I never bought anything from them but have gone in there looking for my stolen stuff occasional and noticed the pricing.