The stupid questions thread.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That’s not gunna happen. Too many people are butthurt that it’s even an option in my experience.
How would you want it labelled then? However you do it, you’ll upset 1/2 the people.
I’m just saying that in 25 years as a vegan, the only people who bang on about vegans and veganism are meat eaters. YMMV. I don’t hang out with fadsters and fanatics.
Need a single production line that branches into two different labelling lines.

One is labelled "Veggie patties" (or "burgers", that's another debate... :rolleyes:) and is half the price, the other line labels the same product with "Chickenesque meat-free Vegan superfood burgers". :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Calling it a patty or a sausage is fine by me. Name defines the shape and function. I did see some fucking weird vegan things in the UK that were coloured and shaped like a T bone steak which I thought was beyond weird. I guess the equivalent dead animal bit is to distinguish what flavour and not sure what else the could call it? Dinosaur relative flavour? Anyway no biggie to me. I have had some cracking vegan meals. In the past a few of those were a step on a journey to finding out what was under some outer layers but let's not digress.

If you are offended by food labelling or someone's comestibles preferences have a long hard look at yourself.

Something I just found: The word sausage is derived from the Latin word salsus which means something salted. Sausages are mentioned in The Odyssey which was written by Homer more than 2,700 years ago: Queen Victoria was fond of sausages but insisted that the meat be hand chopped rather than minced. And here I thought it was the shape description so the shape was defined by the name of the item?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If you go in expecting the full meat experience, you’ll always be disappointed. It’s getting there, for those who want that.
I personally can’t taste a difference in many products from what I remember about meat/dairy/eggs. Used to be pretty shite, but hipsters have helped push the envelope if nothing else.
My best comparison is that most decent vegan alternatives are like a cheap version of the animal version, but as dear or dearer.
People don’t go vegan to save money or increase their dietary options.
maybe ill rephrase- If i buy a "chicken" patty, i don't expect it to taste like an actual real chicken patty, but it shouldn't be like, as you put it, the cheap version of the real thing, but only dearer. I 100% would pay the premium for an amazeballs vegan patty that has a great favour and texture. I've just found that in attempting the substitute, its fallen short on both as the substitute and as a product itself. I have no doubt it will get there or close to, just feels like they've gone to market a little soon (probably to keep investors appeased and to generate some cashflow for more R&D).

What is your view on the lab grown meat direction? That seems more promising from a substitute perspective.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Fry's vegan sausage rolls are good.
As are Four n Twenty vegan pies. I also like the Why Meat Co party pies. The gravy is spot on and the meat alternative is barely discernible from whatever they put in meat pies anyway, without the gristle. I love pies (sauce delivery mechanism), but I hate getting gristle.
interesting. I'd written these off just thinking about them. But i guess it makes sense re gravy. I've had TVP in various things as mince and its carried sauces well, so maybe the pie format is a winner. Will check it out next time I'm looking at eating a pie.

moorey

call me Mia
maybe ill rephrase- If i buy a "chicken" patty, i don't expect it to taste like an actual real chicken patty, but it shouldn't be like, as you put it, the cheap version of the real thing, but only dearer. I 100% would pay the premium for an amazeballs vegan patty that has a great favour and texture. I've just found that in attempting the substitute, its fallen short on both as the substitute and as a product itself. I have no doubt it will get there or close to, just feels like they've gone to market a little soon (probably to keep investors appeased and to generate some cashflow for more R&D).
There’s long been a market, we’re just playing catch up. That’s like saying we shouldn’t have sold any electric/hybrid vehicle in previous decades seeing as the science isn’t perfect yet.
What is your view on the lab grown meat direction? That seems more promising from a substitute perspective.
I don’t have one at this point. Currently too labour/energy/cost heavy to see it as anything other than or elitist wankers to post about on Instagram.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Very few of the people I know are offended by any of the vegan products. We are just confused so we ignore them.
Just pointing out that it is not a good business model to ignore a large potential customer base.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

The last doco I saw on lab-made meat mentioned that the unit cost of a laboratory chicken nugget was DOWN to about $100USD.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
It’s to signify that it’s chicken style burger. People frequently get upset when meat/milk free products are labelled as meat/milk. If they’d called it a ‘chicken’ burger, people would lose their minds.
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. I was looking at it as it's not meat so why be specific.

It’s because of carnivore Karens melting down about it trying to be snuck in under the radar as meat to turn the frogs gay. Or something.
Hahaha, classic.

moorey

call me Mia
Very few of the people I know are offended by any of the vegan products. We are just confused so we ignore them.
Just pointing out that it is not a good business model to ignore a large potential customer base.
You didn’t say how you’d market it to rectify that though? If that’s all that’s stopping people, they weren’t interested in it in the first place.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
no vegan should consume almond milk unless the almonds are grown without bee-killing pesticides.

Conventional almond milk should be re-labelled "Bee-killing ground almond emulsion that's mostly water"

Even California - largest almond producer - is only now discussing how to address the problem, AFAIK.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Pretty sure it's not meat :p
Exactly *shudder*
I'd very much rather eat pretend meat than whatever they put in "meat" pies. But I'm not a big meat eater, I eat it less and less these days and don't miss it.

I've tried a fair few vegan meat alternatives, but many are emulating junk food or are high in salt so I use it sparingly. Some are quite good, some are not. My opinion really only counts for me because what I like someone else might not and that's ok. We all have our reasons for liking or disliking one thing over another.

Minlak

custom titis
Exactly *shudder*
I'd very much rather eat pretend meat than whatever they put in "meat" pies.
I remember reading an article about how they wanted to raid the amount of offal allowed in pies - things like cows vaginas etc - I know how may cows vaginas I like in my meat pies not sure about others.

But I'm not a big meat eater,
Won’t be convincing you in a hobo franchise then I guess :)

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
You didn’t say how you’d market it to rectify that though? If that’s all that’s stopping people, they weren’t interested in it in the first place.
Packaging label;
1. brand name
2. description; "Chicken flavoured vegan patty"
3. for some reason I think you would probably need in smaller print "contains no animal products"
Delete everything else.

Then sell it on taste at a similar price to the product it is replacing.

As far as interest goes that is up to the manufacturer/marketer.
I have cash, they have a product; sell it to me (like thousands of other food products). Or not.

Last edited: