The stupid questions thread.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
We like our bikes like our beer.

I’ve a bike in pretty much every category, at one point I had bikes built up that covered 65 to 71 degrees in at worst 1 degree increments across the range, outlier was the DH bike at 63.5.

66.5 ain’t xc I feel. Not till you get to 68 degrees does it work properly on tight single track. 68 degrees, 120mm forks, 100mm rear. This is the sweet spot. Taking two bikes to the single track rich park, riding back to back, the 68 degree bike is just more fun then the 66.5, I don’t get stuck mid corner. I still enjoy riding the 71 degree epic World Cup, it keeps you from being lazy and complacent, mixing up the bikes makes you learn to adapt and always being conscious of front to back weight distribution, plus the epic is blisteringly fast at 9.5 kg and all carbon, accelerates like nothing else. Wish I had the health and fitness to enjoy it.

When I went from the 71degree epic to the 67 degree LaPierre I spent the first few rides constantly washing out the front wheel.

As always, professor Beeb is on the money.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Do they really have to advertise this product isn't infused with the souls of dead chickens?

Especially considering it already says "vegan" and "plant based".

Why not just call them PP's (plant patties)?
Compress_20221009_102828_8076.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Chicken free chicken, with no artificial additives or favours..? It's all artificial, despite perhaps being real things.

But the bit that shits me is where/how they declare the % of domestic ingredients. At least 66%...at least...

moorey

call me Mia
Do they really have to advertise this product isn't infused with the souls of dead chickens?

Especially considering it already says "vegan" and "plant based".

Why not just call them PP's (plant patties)?
View attachment 393316
Many people want the taste or texture they remember even if they don’t want to eat the animal. Just saying ‘plant patty’ doesn’t give them much info.
I’m constantly amused and baffled about why this seems to trigger many people.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Many people want the taste or texture they remember even if they don’t want to eat the animal. Just saying ‘plant patty’ doesn’t give them much info.
I would enjoy both options, but prefer my not meat products to be proudly not meat. For a time I preferred various facon options over bacon.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Wasn't triggered by it, and true burgers could mean anything (meat or otherwise). Just couldn't see why it needs to be labelled specifically as "chicken free"

moorey

call me Mia
Wasn't triggered by it, and true burgers could mean anything (meat or otherwise). Just couldn't see why it needs to be labelled specifically as "chicken free"
It’s to signify that it’s chicken style burger. People frequently get upset when meat/milk free products are labelled as meat/milk. If they’d called it a ‘chicken’ burger, people would lose their minds.

moorey

call me Mia
I see what you mean; we do not even know it is a chicken like taste.

Is all vegan product labelling so politically correct that it becomes meaningless ?
It’s because of carnivore Karens melting down about it trying to be snuck in under the radar as meat to turn the frogs gay. Or something.
You can’t have it both ways.
Don’t lose sleep over it if you don’t plan to eat it.;)

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Only thing is; I would have thought the manufacturers would realise that the only way these products become succcessful (ie generate profit) is if us carnivores start eating them in volume. This labelling confusion just turns me off.

PS I don't really care what its made of but I do care what it tastes like.

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Only thing is; I would have thought the manufacturers would realise that the only way these products become succcessful (ie generate profit) is if us carnivores start eating them in volume. This labelling confusion just turns me off.

Lot's of companies are making a profit from things not a huge % of the population are into. There's more vegetarians in the world than MTBers.
Being turned of by some words is a learned behaviour.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

Carnivore here, but I don't mind a good veg/vegan product. I've tried a few of these out of curiosity and the hype I've seen around some of them, but I have not come across any of these meat free substitutes that's a good substitute for what it claims to be substituting (yet). Given their premium price point, I sort of don't feel like experimenting with the whole range of these to find something that compares.

If anyone knows any that are genuinely comparable, which are they?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Carnivore here, but I don't mind a good veg/vegan product. I've tried a few of these out of curiosity and the hype I've seen around some of them, but I have not come across any of these meat free substitutes that's a good substitute for what it claims to be substituting (yet). Given their premium price point, I sort of don't feel like experimenting with the whole range of these to find something that compares.

Fry's vegan sausage rolls are good.
As are Four n Twenty vegan pies. I also like the Why Meat Co party pies. The gravy is spot on and the meat alternative is barely discernible from whatever they put in meat pies anyway, without the gristle. I love pies (sauce delivery mechanism), but I hate getting gristle.

moorey

call me Mia

That’s not gunna happen. Too many people are butthurt that it’s even an option in my experience.
How would you want it labelled then? However you do it, you’ll upset 1/2 the people.
I’m just saying that in 25 years as a vegan, the only people who bang on about vegans and veganism are meat eaters. YMMV. I don’t hang out with fadsters and fanatics.

moorey

call me Mia

If you go in expecting the full meat experience, you’ll always be disappointed. It’s getting there, for those who want that.
I personally can’t taste a difference in many products from what I remember about meat/dairy/eggs. Used to be pretty shite, but hipsters have helped push the envelope if nothing else.
My best comparison is that most decent vegan alternatives are like a cheap version of the animal version, but as dear or dearer.
People don’t go vegan to save money or increase their dietary options.