The stupid questions thread.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What is a good slab to say thank you for your efforts. I don't drink beer so I have no idea.
The car mechanics went above and beyond for me this morning.
Top end thank you would be a carton of craftys from a local Brewery.

If its a 'cheers guys' to a few at a local workshop who are going to smash them after work, grab a locally drank beer.

Stick with Pale/Session/Lager ale kind of beers as IPA/Stouts are not for everyone.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
What is a good slab to say thank you for your efforts. I don't drink beer so I have no idea.
Kinda depends. In the past I've just asked what kind of beer (ale, draft, lager, dark, stout, IPA etc.) someone's into and surprised them with that.

Edit: what @ozzybmx said. Be warned though, if you really want to go out of your way and go the craft option cartons can get a bit pricey (i.e. over $100....)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Kinda depends. In the past I've just asked what kind of beer (ale, draft, lager, dark, stout, IPA etc.) someone's into and surprised them with that.

Edit: what @ozzybmx said. Be warned though, if you really want to go out of your way and go the craft option cartons can get a bit pricey (i.e. over $100....)
Some well over too :oops:

My go to 'thank you' for a really good deed is these local ones from Lobethal Bierhaus, they are usually call Irish Red Ale but I live next to a place called Belair Fine Wines and they have a wall of craft beers, the beer was originally made in conjunction with the owners of the bottle-o and it was called Belair Red-Menace. Only available from the Belair Fine Wines store as The Red-Menace, available from other places as Irish Red Ale.

Its $125 a carton so its a special thank you for saving my life level gesture :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was in this situation a while ago, twice! With different mechanics each time. I went to the bottle shop closest to their workshops, it happens to be the same shop for both of them, and the owner hooked me up with the best option each time.

• robo got Tooheys extra dry for finding my dog wandering the neighbourhood and giving me a call while keeping her at his workshop.
  • lex got Coors (he liked ice hockey) for doing a few freebie tune ups on my youth centre van.

Both were happy.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Looking at a frame with a 30.9 seat tube but I really like my current 31.6 dropper. What are my chances to ream it from 30.9 to 31.6 without damaging the frame? Also second hand so no warranty to worry about.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Plenty of 30.9 droppers.
But I like mine, unless someone wants to swap a 31.6 185mm Yep for a 30.9?

It is a lot to go through for a dropper, just a pain as I only just got this one a few weeks ago.

I still like your Tranny, I need a bigger garage and bank account.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I am back to the eternal "is it time for an upgrade?" point in life. I am kind of struggling to get my head around the longer + slacker + steeper trend that all bikes seem to have. When I get off road I'm generally riding disappointingly flat short trails made up of berms and jumps. They are mostly hard pack and dust, with some erosion and roots and barely any rocks. When I am lucky enough to ride the gnarly stuff I have my nomad and one day I might even finish rebuilding my 951. So I don't really see a why on a shoe travel party bike I would want/need these new angles. So help me out...

Going from about 67 in he head tube to 64...am I going to be driving a bus? Or will it retain or even enhance aggressive cornering and lip popping goodness?

I currently rock a 74.9 seat tube angle which at first I felt was way too upright. The seat often got in the way when I was pretending I could throw sick tricks on the jumps. The newer option is offering 76.5 of upright erectile function!

Yours in a confused state of affairs...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So I am back to the eternal "is it time for an upgrade?" point in life. I am kind of struggling to get my head around the longer + slacker + steeper trend that all bikes seem to have. When I get off road I'm generally riding disappointingly flat short trails made up of berms and jumps. They are mostly hard pack and dust, with some erosion and roots and barely any rocks. When I am lucky enough to ride the gnarly stuff I have my nomad and one day I might even finish rebuilding my 951. So I don't really see a why on a shoe travel party bike I would want/need these new angles. So help me out...

Going from about 67 in he head tube to 64...am I going to be driving a bus? Or will it retain or even enhance aggressive cornering and lip popping goodness?

I currently rock a 74.9 seat tube angle which at first I felt was way too upright. The seat often got in the way when I was pretending I could throw sick tricks on the jumps. The newer option is offering 76.5 of upright erectile function!

Yours in a confused state of affairs...
Head Angle in isolation is a tricky one to judge. Really need to look at more of an overall picture.

3deg slacker head angle will increase front-centre (distance from BB to front axle) quite a bit, so if your chainstays don't increase a proportional amount your weight distribution on the bike will become more rearward. This is also exaggerated in a change to 29er, as the bigger wheel means a taller fork, which means more stack height, which means for the same reach dimension the bigger wheels have the front-centre grow even more than just the slacker HA suggests. And if you're also 'sizing up' on reach, this effect becomes very pronounced.

If you have a slack-slack HA like 64 degrees and the bike has short-shortish (~425-430mm) chainstays*, it can mean you have to ride a pretty aggressive/forward position if the ground surface is even a little bit loose. Some people like this setup as the bike feels reactive and is easier to loft the front. Others (me) don't like it as it sometimes feels like you have to ride in a permenant push-up position and the front can "push" if you get lazy. It can tend to transfer more of the force from the back wheel through bumpy/rocky terrain too, though aggressive riders can avoid this by just popping the back up over obstacles. Longish-long chainstays* (~440-450mm) generate more front-end traction through corners (particularly on flatter/loose corners as the front wheel is better 'weighted') and offer more stability over bumps/rocks at speed, and also can allow to ride slightly more centrally/upright over bumps (larger 'window' to move your body-weight around in as more input is needed to alter the front/rear balance)

I am very shit at jumping, but longer chainstays are somewhat harder to jump, in that until you're going fast it can make the front feel a little held-down and tend to suit jumps that are more fast and long, rather than short and steep. On the faster jumps the extra stability is a perk though.

IMO, overall I'd look for something around 65deg HA, with medium-sized chainstays. 64deg HA is effective for plowage but goes past anything that could be described as "responsive" or "flickable" (IMO, and prepare for the possibility every following comment will wholeheartedly disagree with this comment), unless paired with quite long chainstays and then the whole bike likely won't feel particularly playful (though will be super capable and fast AF). Super slack/long bikes are sort of victims of their own success in that they're so capable, modest trails can feel quite banal at times.

*I'm basing short/long chainstay feel assessments of a guesstimate of you being around 6' tall?

Last edited: