The QUICK question thread.....

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Thanks Dale. Most appreciated. That might be a options

I was hoping / thinking that there must be a few schrader adpators out there that could be up for a bit of home hackage :cool:
You could always try a 7mm hole in that piece of dowel and whip up a tap out of an old Schrader valve. It will either be 5 minutes wasted or a lot of time saved.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Folks,

I have these early Marzocchi Z5's that I still think are worthy of a restore.

Marzocchi came up with this bit of an odd idea to remove top caps. A special tool is used screw over the schrader valve. The top cap is then tapped with a hammer to drive it a bity further into the stanchion which exposes a retaining clip thingy. The clip is removed then the tool is used to pull the cap out of the stanchion.

The tool is just a schrader threaded bolt with a wide enough base so it screws onto the top cap apparently so you don't rip the schrader valve off.

Collective wizards and wizardesses, would any of you have came across any similar schrader fitting in any other industries or some sort of air pump fitting that I could be used opposed to going down the path of getting one of these fabled special tools?

View attachment 402349
I hope I'm reading this right... Could you use a flat top metal Schrader cap to tap with a hammer to remove the clip, then maybe a knurled Schrader cap to grip with *ehem* vice grips to pull the top cap out? Or maybe one of those older style pump hoses that screw onto the valve?
How much force is needed to pull the top cap out?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I hope I'm reading this right... Could you use a flat top metal Schrader cap to tap with a hammer to remove the clip, then maybe a knurled Schrader cap to grip with *ehem* vice grips to pull the top cap out? Or maybe one of those older style pump hoses that screw onto the valve?
If it is like the hydraulic cylinders the piece has an o ring that seals the outer diameter and is quite tight but worth a go.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Pushing the top cap in shouldn't be that hard. I think a carefully placed socket over the cap and gentle belting with the persuader mallet would do it.
Takin the cap out is the bit that worried me a bit more since people have reported to have busted them.

No idea how much force it needed ot pull it out. Couldn't be *that* stuck could it......Errrr................... :oops:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
this repro looks like basically stuffed a metal schrader valve cap into a hole... could be that sinmple instead of buying a tap?

1694076087105.png

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
this repro looks like basically stuffed a metal schrader valve cap into a hole... could be that sinmple instead of buying a tap?
Stuffing a metal value cap into a socket head T bar screwdriver might just do it. I could get adventurous and see if I can put washer on the bottom to act as base of the repro tool or maybe a bigger socket if I can mount the valve cap. I'll have an experiment in the shed.

Nice thinking sir!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Attach an old shock pump hose. Stick a couple of wooden bits on either side (chopsticks?). Give ‘em a whack to unseat the cap. Remove split ring. Then pull on the hose to extract?
Great idea but what about a suitable 1/2" drive socket, let the hose hang out the middle. More even pressure...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like the little basket that some places use
I've never seen a steak folded up in a little basket. It does sound cute...

No.

Putting them in a bowl means you can season to taste without affecting the main dish.
This is true. I have always struggled to season my food when it is on a big plate. Come to think of it, I have always struggled to season it on a small plate as well.