The QUICK question thread.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The usual laundry and household cleaners have enough caustic in them to fade paint if left on too long which means they can also affect seals etc. Car washes are made for these conditions. But if you must use a dishwashing solution ensure you use the appropriate steel wool or scourer too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The usual laundry and household cleaners have enough caustic in them to fade paint if left on too long which means they can also affect seals etc. Car washes are made for these conditions. But if you must use a dishwashing solution ensure you use the appropriate steel wool or scourer too.

How else would I get the gunk off my stanchions?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Noooooo. This stuff is caustic and rips off all wax. Same as household cleaners. Just a simple wash like turtle or any of the others. I would not use ct 14 or ct18 on a car unless it was getting a full beauty treatment after.
I thought he was asking about his bike haha.

I have no issue using it on paint, including cars. But I am a sucker for a nice waxing periodically.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Folks,

I have these early Marzocchi Z5's that I still think are worthy of a restore.

Marzocchi came up with this bit of an odd idea to remove top caps. A special tool is used screw over the schrader valve. The top cap is then tapped with a hammer to drive it a bity further into the stanchion which exposes a retaining clip thingy. The clip is removed then the tool is used to pull the cap out of the stanchion.

The tool is just a schrader threaded bolt with a wide enough base so it screws onto the top cap apparently so you don't rip the schrader valve off.

Collective wizards and wizardesses, would any of you have came across any similar schrader fitting in any other industries or some sort of air pump fitting that I could be used opposed to going down the path of getting one of these fabled special tools?

Air-Cap-Puller-DSC_0557-610x584.jpg

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Folks,

I have these early Marzocchi Z5's that I still think are worthy of a restore.

Marzocchi came up with this bit of an odd idea to remove top caps. A special tool is used screw over the schrader valve. The top cap is then tapped with a hammer to drive it a bity further into the stanchion which exposes a retaining clip thingy. The clip is removed then the tool is used to pull the cap out of the stanchion.

The tool is just a schrader threaded bolt with a wide enough base so it screws onto the top cap apparently so you don't rip the schrader valve off.

Collective wizards and wizardesses, would any of you have came across any similar schrader fitting in any other industries or some sort of air pump fitting that I could be used opposed to going down the path of getting one of these fabled special tools?

View attachment 402349
You should be able to whip one up pretty quick out of a bit of hardwood dowel.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Easy enough to make but the thread isn't common. It is an 8V1 thread: 0.305 in (7.747 mm) x 32 TPI[4] (1⁄32 in or 0.7938 mm pitch; tap size 8v1-32). Not sure the thread is necessary, just a clearance hole should do unless you have to extract it with the thread.

That pushing in to expose a circling or ring is quite common, my tractor's steering cylinder is like that. Compact size and all you need is a groove to be machined.