The QUICK question thread.....

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am after bearing press and bearing remover tools. I recently replaced the bearings in a front wheel using a You Tube hack. Very scary experience. I sure this is a job done best with correct tools.
Any suggestions? What are you using?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I am after bearing press and bearing remover tools. I recently replaced the bearings in a front wheel using a You Tube hack. Very scary experience. I sure this is a job done best with correct tools.
Any suggestions? What are you using?
What bearings are you replacing?

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Initally wheel. All of are hubs are some DT Swiss variety. But I want to be able to work on the pivot bearings, as well.
Cool. I got a bearing press set from AliExpress that I'm pretty sure I linked, I'll find it again. It comes with heaps of bushing sizes. I've so far only used it for my husband's Solo pivot bearings but it has plenty of common wheel bearing size bushes (bushings? FIIK) too.

Last edited:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

slowmick

38-39"
Bought the same kit as Labcanary from ebay. Used it today to replace all of the frame bearings on my enduro. It works really well and is a lot of fun to use. Bought cheap bearing pullers from ebay with a slide hammer. Works well and looks like the kit from Sydney tools but a whole heap cheaper.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Looking at the WAGE website out of interest and they have a 'welcome' category - what is it? And if I was to do one does it matter if I enter that or my age category given I'm just looking to go and give it a bash once I've got some fitness up?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at the WAGE website out of interest and they have a 'welcome' category - what is it? And if I was to do one does it matter if I enter that or my age category given I'm just looking to go and give it a bash once I've got some fitness up?
Not sure what the welcome cat might be, but I would just enter your age group. If anything like local races over here, there will be plenty of people just doing it for the fun / challenge. Never know, might surprise yourself.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I bought a Shimano freehub body for DT 350 hubs, and it didn't come with an endcap. The endcap I have on my XD freehub have says "XD compatible", but are these interchangeable? It all seems to fit?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I bought a Shimano freehub body for DT 350 hubs, and it didn't come with an endcap. The endcap I have on my XD freehub have says "XD compatible", but are these interchangeable? It all seems to fit?
Not compatible to my knowledge. I think the XD one is shorter from memory.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
I went to adjust the belt tension on the Pinion bike the other day and broke the ball end off of a hex key in one of the holding bolts. After unsuccessfully trying to get it out, it was off to Bunnings to look for a replacement before cutting off the offending bolt. I got a pack of stainless M8 x 16 hex head bolts, got the damaged bolt out and replaced them all with hex head's. Just wondering whether the hex key setup is for standardisation only so you don't need to cart a toolbox around on your bike, or is there another reason hex head bolts aren't used?

Attachments

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I use DOT 5.1 fluid from a bottle opened, and tightly capped, that was opened 6 months ago? Brakes need a bleed but I have heard that opened DOT fluid should not be used. Any experience or thoughts?