The QUICK question thread.....

moorey

call me Mia
Just ordered a PNW Ranier 3 dropper. Didn’t want the lever, hoping to use a converted XT shifter.
Their info isn’t clear, but looks like the post takes a cable nipple/barrel screw at the actuator in an install video, even though they’re using the cable nubbin at the post, and clamping cable with grub screw at the lever.
Anyone confirm this?
Seems a bit silly using the nubbin there when it appears to suit a cable nipple like KS etc use.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Just ordered a PNW Ranier 3 dropper. Didn’t want the lever, hoping to use a converted XT shifter.
Their info isn’t clear, but looks like the post takes a cable nipple/barrel screw at the actuator in an install video, even though they’re using the cable nubbin at the post, and clamping cable with grub screw at the lever.
Anyone confirm this?
Seems a bit silly using the nubbin there when it appears to suit a cable nipple like KS etc use.

View attachment 388174View attachment 388175
I think mine is a Rainer V2 and the actuator looks the same. It can have the nubbin at the post with the supplied adapter or nubbin at the lever with the cable clamp at the post KS style.

Edit: mine didn't come with the cable clamp but I used one I had in the parts bin and it worked fine.

Jpez

Down on the left!
My 3 PNW posts all run the nubbin at the post. Go on. Give a real dropper lever like the Loam lever a crack. You’ll wonder why you persisted with hacked shifter levers for all this time.

actually. You’re Moorey. No you won’t. Carry on you stubborn fool.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
MTBD direct dropper sale.
Thinking about spending another $400 to get me a (newer/better) post with 35mm drop travel on my hardtail. Seems silly, but hey.

Problem - Carbon frame takes a 34.9 seatpost.
Q - Should I buy a 34.9 post again, or shim up a 30.9 / 31.6? Is there a second hand market for 34.9 posts?

moorey

call me Mia
My 3 PNW posts all run the nubbin at the post. Go on. Give a real dropper lever like the Loam lever a crack. You’ll wonder why you persisted with hacked shifter levers for all this time.

actually. You’re Moorey. No you won’t. Carry on you stubborn fool.
I’ve used many many levers. The nicest throw for me is still an XT shifter, and using the ispec to mount to brakes is a win.
The PNW’s look good, and we’ll priced. Some companies are taking the piss asking $100-150 for a lever. Pure wanker posing points right there.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Thinking about spending another $400 to get me a (newer/better) post with 35mm drop travel on my hardtail. Seems silly, but hey.

Q - Should I buy a 34.9 post again, or shim up a 30.9 / 31.6? Is there a second hand market for 34.9 posts?
An additional 35mm drop, or just 35mm drop? $400 for a 35mm travel dropper sounds like gravel bike territory, except it'd be $750.

And 34.9 are still fairly niche, 30.9/31.6 seems roughly 50/50 split, so I've end up with 30.9 droppers I just shim as needed (or currently, 3x 30.9 seatpost frames).

moorey

call me Mia

35mm drop is the only issue I see here.
If you’re planning to keep the bike, get the 34.9. I shim if I have to without issue, but prefer not to. But of recycling, shim a 30.9.

moorey

call me Mia
I think mine is a Rainer V2 and the actuator looks the same. It can have the nubbin at the post with the supplied adapter or nubbin at the lever with the cable clamp at the post KS style.

Edit: mine didn't come with the cable clamp but I used one I had in the parts bin and it worked fine.
Cool. Plenty of spare cable clamps floating around. All bases covered.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve used many many levers. The nicest throw for me is still an XT shifter, and using the ispec to mount to brakes is a win.
The PNW’s look good, and we’ll priced. Some companies are taking the piss asking $100-150 for a lever. Pure wanker posing points right there.
Ok.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
LOL, yes 'additional' !!
BikeYoke I presume? IIRC BikeYoke are the only folk that have actually re-engineered their post to suit 34.9, so maybe, theoretically, there's some minor benefit going with the native post size.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
BikeYoke I presume? IIRC BikeYoke are the only folk that have actually re-engineered their post to suit 34.9, so maybe, theoretically, there's some minor benefit going with the native post size.
Good guess. I have a 185mm Revive on my other bike so was thinking matchy-matchy.

They don't advertise the 34.9 Revive on MTB Direct as being the "MAX" version, but I assume it must be. No 185mm drop in 34.9 in stock now though. I could probably fit a 213mm - but then I'd end up feeling like the 185 on the other bike isn't enough .... downward spiral !!!

Any issues with shimming carbon frames? Don't see why it's any different to shimming alloy frames.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good guess. I have a 185mm Revive on my other bike so was thinking matchy-matchy.

They don't advertise the 34.9 Revive on MTB Direct as being the "MAX" version, but I assume it must be. No 185mm drop in 34.9 in stock now though. I could probably fit a 213mm - but then I'd end up feeling like the 185 on the other bike isn't enough .... downward spiral !!!

Any issues with shimming carbon frames? Don't see why it's any different to shimming alloy frames.
Remove all the sharp edges on the sleeve where it comes in contacts with the carbon, and tape a spacer on the bottom of the dropper so that it doesn't have a chance to lever in your seat post tube.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Give a real dropper lever like the Loam lever a crack.
We have 2 loam levers and I always have a laugh when I read the packaging. PNW are probably laughing too.
Its a draw for the most expensive with Wolftooth.