The QUICK question thread.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No worries thanks. One of the bearings doesn't even turn at all so assuming it's rooted.
I will keep the old one to bash a new one in as you suspect correctly.
Pop the outside seals with a pick or Stanley knife (dont dig too deep or you'll snap the end off the knife)

The one that doesn't turn might just be caked with dry grease, which could be saved in the short term if it was a major hassle to locate new ones immediately.

Stick a pair of pliers inside the hole of the stiff one and try and turn it while flushing with degreaser, then dry and fill with grease.

Read the number, Hambo it and measure with verniers as said above by @Labcanary and @Dales Cannon to check the right dimensions, thickness, outside diameter and inside hole diameter.

If this is not a long term bike, grab new ones from Ali express. I'm currently running Ali bearings in RaceFace BSA30 BB with no issues.

I got 12 x 6806 2RS for $12 as emergency bearings a while back... probably got 500-700km on 1 set already.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Pop the outside seals with a pick or Stanley knife (dont dig too deep or you'll snap the end off the knife)

The one that doesn't turn might just be caked with dry grease, which could be saved in the short term if it was a major hassle to locate new ones immediately.

Stick a pair of pliers inside the hole of the stiff one and try and turn it while flushing with degreaser, then dry and fill with grease.

Read the number, Hambo it and measure with verniers as said above by @Labcanary and @Dales Cannon to check the right dimensions, thickness, outside diameter and inside hole diameter.

If this is not a long term bike, grab new ones from Ali express. I'm currently running Ali bearings in RaceFace BSA30 BB with no issues.

I got 12 x 6806 2RS for $12 as emergency bearings a while back... probably got 500-700km on 1 set already.

I’ve considered changing the bearings out on those RF bottom brackets but not being designed to be changed out I figured I might end up muntig the cups. You had no issues getting them out?
I’ve got a Cane Creek bb on my Deviate that has outlasted 2 junk RF bb’s on another bike.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I’ve considered changing the bearings out on those RF bottom brackets but not being designed to be changed out I figured I might end muntung the cups. You had no issues getting them out?
I’ve got a Cane Creek bb on my Deviate that has outlasted 2 junk RF bb’s on another bike.
I reckon I tapped them out with a pin punch, little taps all around and they pop out.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I’ve considered changing the bearings out on those RF bottom brackets but not being designed to be changed out I figured I might end muntung the cups. You had no issues getting them out?
I’ve got a Cane Creek bb on my Deviate that has outlasted 2 junk RF bb’s on another bike.
Those RF BBs are junk. Rotor make very good bsa30 BBs and the bearings can be changed out for bearings of your choice. I've got a 30mm collete and just tap the bearings out with the BB still on the bike.

For Shimano HT2, Enduro make a specific kit and tool. All the press fit standards you might as well just get fresh kits. Again Rotor make very good 30mm kits and Shimano for 24mm.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Those RF BBs are junk. Rotor make very good bsa30 BBs and the bearings can be changed out for bearings of your choice. I've got a 30mm collete and just tap the bearings out with the BB still on the bike.

For Shimano HT2, Enduro make a specific kit and tool. All the press fit standards you might as well just get fresh kits.

Agreed. I think it’s time to spend up on a quality bb designed to have the bearings changed. Wheels do a decent one too I think. Just been put off by the big outlay but buying a new BB every six months really doesn’t make financial sense.

Jpez

Down on the left!

For Shimano HT2, Enduro make a specific kit and tool. All the press fit standards you might as well just get fresh kits. Again Rotor make very good 30mm kits and Shimano for 24mm.

What’s a “collete”?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Agreed. I think it’s time to spend up on a quality bb designed to have the bearings changed. Wheels do a decent one too I think. Just been put off by the big outlay but buying a new BB every six months really doesn’t make financial sense.
The Rotor ones are surprisingly ok value, especially if you get them in a big order from Bikeinn or Ze Germans. DIYMTB have a good one at $100 but I think they come from a Taiwan OEM.

The cheapo option would be to get a ZTTO and then swap out the bearings when the original ones wear out.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Quality :cool:

Grab a full set of blind bearing pullers from eBay, Ali or Supercheap for $50.

The small one pulls the idler bearings on your Deviate too.
Yep got a set of those. Not bad. Bit soft though so the common sizes might only get through a couple of bearing changes but for the price you can’t complain.

indica

Serial flasher
“I laughed at that. If Albo wants to know about my health, then I’ve been diagnosed with an allergy to racists,” she told 3AW host Neil Mitchell.
Lidia Thorpe is so fucking racist the mind boggles, when does someone come to the conclusion this behaviour is okay is and fighting a good fight in a good way and going to get you anywhere?

indica

Serial flasher
WOW - gets better.

Senator Thorpe said it was not possible for her to be racist towards Australians who are not black.

“We cannot be racist to white people,” she said. “White people don’t fall into that category.

safreek

Lidia Thorpe is so fucking racist the mind boggles, when does someone come to the conclusion this behaviour is okay is and fighting a good fight in a good way and going to get you anywhere?
According to the "woke" it's impossible to be racist towards white people.
I remember many times being called a "captain cook cunt". Didn't offend me as it's impossible take offense. I'm just a middle age white man so bag me all you want.