The QUICK question thread.....

safreek

Hi guys, I have a Chris king tapered headset coming that I want to run a straight steerer fork through, will any adapter work (I have one )or do I need to pay crazy prices for a ck adapter. Cheers for any answers

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Hi guys, I have a Chris king tapered headset coming that I want to run a straight steerer fork through, will any adapter work (I have one )or do I need to pay crazy prices for a ck adapter. Cheers for any answers
If it's just a crown race reducer/adaptor, where you will be using the supplied CK crown race, any will do.
Like this:
Screenshot_20230302-194507.png

You want the correct angle for the lower bearing if you're using an angled adaptor like this:
Screenshot_20230302-195000.png

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
As @Labcanary noted, check the inner race angle to get the correct adaptor. Headset bearings come in either 36° or 45° inner races, and the wrong adaptor will seat badly and stress the bearings. That said, 36° is more of a roadie/small bearing thing, so a simple generic step-out crown race like the 2nd pic above should work a charm.

I've got a couple of spares, I can chuck you one for the cost of postals if you want.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Do SRAM XD cassettes have a lock ring? I don't thinks so, and cant really remember from taking it off, but one of the burners here wants to buy one out of my spares pile and and asked.

ausdb

Being who he is
If you go to a Thule dealer they have all the keys on hand to match your rack.
So I went to a Thule dealer last week, the lock barrel I posted is what they call a "200 series" and the numbers on the barrel do not mean anything as far a I/Ding a key. The guy did have a master set of keys and said "It's not busy and I like a challenge" so started going thorugh the big keyring of keys, amazingly enough jagged it first go! I bought a spare key and it opens one of the other locks to lock the carriers to the roof racks but unfortunately didn't work on the cable locks at the back of the carriers. I think for convenience I will just get two barrels to match the ones I have rather than fsck around having to have two keys.

safreek

As @Labcanary noted, check the inner race angle to get the correct adaptor. Headset bearings come in either 36° or 45° inner races, and the wrong adaptor will seat badly and stress the bearings. That said, 36° is more of a roadie/small bearing thing, so a simple generic step-out crown race like the 2nd pic above should work a charm.

I've got a couple of spares, I can chuck you one for the cost of postals if you want.
Cheers for the offer man, turns out I have a tapered steerer coming. Thought I had a ss fork coming

safreek

Next question, I have a race face deus going through a bottom bracket that I want to transfer to a different frame (the bb) is it likely that a slx crank will fit straight through.

My googling tells me it is the same diameter hole(24) apparently it's an exi bb (x type ?).
Any facts would be nice for confirmation before pulling apart. Thanks

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Next question, I have a race face deus going through a bottom bracket that I want to transfer to a different frame (the bb) is it likely that a slx crank will fit straight through.

My googling tells me it is the same diameter hole(24) apparently it's an exi bb (x type ?).
Any facts would be nice for confirmation before pulling apart. Thanks
My understanding is that both Shimano and Raceface run 24mm as one option for their crank spindles (30mm is another...), so it's likely that the SLX will work. I've put both Shimano and Raceface cranks on the same 24mm Hope BB so you should be ok.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
is this fair dink ?

Fucking hell, had a bit of a peruse of the site and it reads like a cult!

Watched this yt video, the voice over sounds like its straight from a sinister sci-fi movie trying to sucker people into their "utopia".

And "Trojena" has been awarded the 2029 Winter games!?!?

20230306_181630.gif

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The smaller pads are for Guide calipers. They won't sit snugly and move around in the calipers, making an annoying rattle & clatter.