The QUICK question thread.....

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Think I've managed to confuse myself with threaded bottom brackets...
SRAM DUB 73mm apparently needs 2mm spacer (because of the chain guide tab I have) plus 2.5mm spacer at the crank axle.

Does that mean the order goes (from the bottom bracket out on the drive side):
- thread
- 2mm spacer
- chain guide tab
- 2.5mm spacer
- crank

ore does the first spacer go between the frame and the thread?

moorey

call me Mia
Think I've managed to confuse myself with threaded bottom brackets...
SRAM DUB 73mm apparently needs 2mm spacer (because of the chain guide tab I have) plus 2.5mm spacer at the crank axle.

Does that mean the order goes (from the bottom bracket out on the drive side):
- thread
- 2mm spacer
- chain guide tab
- 2.5mm spacer
- crank

ore does the first spacer go between the frame and the thread?
For a 63 mm shell, two on the driver-side and one on the non-Drive side. For a 73 mm shell, just one on the driver-side. Just space your guide with washers as needed.
Shimano is far less fussy about the spacers, as long as your chain line is good, SRAM stuff can be far more finicky, if not spaced correctly.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For a 63 mm shell, two on the driver-side and one on the non-Drive side. For a 73 mm shell, just one on the driver-side. Just space your guide with washers as needed.
Shimano is far less fussy about the spacers, as long as your chain line is good, SRAM stuff can be far more finicky, if not spaced correctly.
Cheers.
I've got Shimano on everyone else so the SRAM instruction manual was throwing me

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers.
I've got Shimano on everyone else so the SRAM instruction manual was throwing me
I don’t touch dub. At least it’s got the threaded collar to take up the slack. GXP is more of a PITA for the inexperienced. I used to run it a lot when it was the best direct mount chainring option, but thankfully most do it now. Even shimano, who were very late to the party.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am on a bike now with a 12 speed XT drive train. Maybe I am cursed, but I am getting the same back pedalling chain catching, refusal to cooperate that I had on another bike with SRAM GX. Mainly tIhe lower speed cogs. I switched to 11 speed to fix the problem. Is there another way or ditch for 11 speed as well?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I am on a bike now with a 12 speed XT drive train. Maybe I am cursed, but I am getting the same back pedalling chain catching, refusal to cooperate that I had on another bike with SRAM GX. Mainly tIhe lower speed cogs. I switched to 11 speed to fix the problem. Is there another way or ditch for 11 speed as well?
Have you done all the usual checking that the chain is in the right orientation and the goat was sacrificed on the right full moon? Maybe adjust your chain line in a smidge?

When all of that finally fails, go back to 10 speed Microshift Advent X cassette and derailleur and join the 10 speed master race.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Chain length and B screw are finicky AF with shimmy 12x but set up right it’s better than shimmy 11sp for the backpedal. That would be my first thought.

ausdb

Being who he is
Nice. The guy that runs it is a quality wheel builder. Cool to see him start this as a side business to the wheel building and classes.
I was going to mention Melody wheels, but looks like I was too slow.
If you have spokes and need them shortened I can do them for you or what do you need and I may have something suitable.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I heard that a bridge on the trail from Latrobe to Railton is washed out. Any NW Tassie riders know about this?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
The chain-drop through backpedal is a combination of chain line offset and chainstay length.
Shimano is more sensitive to it than SRAM.
Noting that the chainstay is fixed you can only improve by adjusting the chain line ( spacer placement and chainring offset).

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I heard that a bridge on the trail from Latrobe to Railton is washed out. Any NW Tassie riders know about this?
Accurate. Suspension bridge isn't too far away now but there's currently no bridge. It's crossable if you don't mind wet feet, probably about knee deep. If you want to do a longer ride, around Railton/Sheffield is probably the better bet.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks. We spoke to a rider in the Parking lot at the Latrobe trails today who confirmed what you said. He suggested riding down from Latrobe to Sheffield, hit some trails and ride back, About 50 km round trip?
We think we might do this; hopefully the trails aren't wet.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
ok bear with me, change plans like I change underwear...

Frame posted brisbane to melb, what's the cost and how do I avoid being duped (fb market buy)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Frame posted brisbane to melb, what's the cost and how do I avoid being duped (fb market buy)
Check if anyone local can inspect?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

Frame only? Get them to bubble wrap it to fuck and then wrap in cardboard so it’s irregular not “boxed” and take it to the local PO. Might be $50?

ausdb

Being who he is
Does anyone know if the number on the cylinder of a Thule lock relates to the key number?
I bought some Thule roof mount carriers last night sans keys. Lots of stuff on the Web says the key number is on the face of the cylinder where the key inserts but that is not the case with these.
I managed to extract one of the cylinders as it wasn't locked and can see the number in the pic.
_20230224_161741-picsay.jpg

_20230224_161659-picsay.jpg