The QUICK question thread.....

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Any recommendations for a good beginner drone with follow-me capability?

Image stabilisation is a must, and I assume 4K is standard by now?

Basically going to use it for camping holidays, mountain biking videos and dicking around.

safreek

I am not up to date with the latest scams but I am curious as to how these scammers taking over other people's phone numbers.

In the last couple weeks I have had many messages saying I have missed phonecalls but there is no missed call on my logs.

I fire up the burner phone to call these numbers back but get the proper owner of the number, they say their number appears to be jacked.

How does someone hijack anothers phone number. Are my financials that are on my phone safe.
Screen shot of the latest one

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I am not up to date with the latest scams but I am curious as to how these scammers taking over other people's phone numbers.

In the last couple weeks I have had many messages saying I have missed phonecalls but there is no missed call on my logs.

I fire up the burner phone to call these numbers back but get the proper owner of the number, they say their number appears to be jacked.

How does someone hijack anothers phone number. Are my financials that are on my phone safe.
View attachment 378749
I had a couple of them a few months back. Then it just stopped. I'm no good with technology, and it hates me back, so I see some angst in my future.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

View attachment 378749
Your phone is mostly likely safe but don't leave stuff you really need on there. Don't do it. Regardless of these scammers, your phone will die one day right when you need it. If not backed up and you know how to restore it then there is a good chance that you will lose everything.

The missed call ID is deliberately obfuscated with 'hsve' and 'misled' in there so life must already be getting harder for these scammers since they are trying to hide the text. I'll guess that this might be one those Wangiri scam calls where the call hangs up immediately usually with no ring at all. They present to you a what looks like an AU number but is really hiding a premium $$$ number usually overseas. You will get the bill when you call back.

VoIP calls allow you to display a different number than the real number that the call has originated from. SIP VoIP calls are all text based so are much easier to figure out for the evil scammers. The Display name that you see (From Header) is most likely the one that they are filling up with the spoofed number but is isn't the same as the actual number they used which is found in the Request URI. Some geekery here if you are keen https://blog.wildix.com/sip-invite-method/ VoIP scam calls is growth industry and telco's are trying to figure out how to control it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Your phone is mostly likely safe but don't leave stuff you really need on there. Don't do it. Regardless of these scammers, your phone will die one day right when you need it. If not backed up and you know how to restore it then there is a good chance that you will lose everything.

The missed call ID is deliberately obfuscated with 'hsve' and 'misled' in there so life must already be getting harder for these scammers since they are trying to hide the text. I'll guess that this might be one those Wangiri scam calls where the call hangs up immediately usually with no ring at all. They present to you a what looks like an AU number but is really hiding a premium $$$ number usually overseas. You will get the bill when you call back.

VoIP calls allow you to display a different number than the real number that the call has originated from. SIP VoIP calls are all text based so are much easier to figure out for the evil scammers. The Display name that you see (From Header) is most likely the one that they are filling up with the spoofed number but is isn't the same as the actual number they used which is found in the Request URI. Some geekery here if you are keen https://blog.wildix.com/sip-invite-method/ VoIP scam calls is growth industry and telco's are trying to figure out how to control it.
Bulk sms services, like sms global, still don’t have forbidden entity names in the from field. That’s got to be an easier one for the authorities to clamp down on.

At 2.5 cents a text message, you can place anything in the field. Like “Pink Poodles ATO collections” , and bulk sms away.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bulk sms services, like sms global, still don’t have forbidden entity names in the from field. That’s got to be an easier one for the authorities to clamp down on.

At 2.5 cents a text message, you can place anything in the field. Like “Pink Poodles ATO collections” , and bulk sms away.

You may not be aware of your outstanding obligations. Unless an immediate payment of $1000 is made you will be prosecuted.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

True. Now, you can buy access into the SS7 phone network into other parts of the world. Get in, send your junk and disappear. Application to Person SMS spam is the leader now by volume.

If you end up shutting down L2/L3 access like, IP ranges or SS7 Point Codes or whatever then the spammer always pop up somewhere else. More regulated countries or company will boot them off once they detect that they have breached their T&C's. It creates a wack-a-mole situation.

SS7 was built around trusted highly government regulated networks and policing it hasn't ever been implemented well or widely done. The standards were always lacking. Spam policing is cost for a telco - they aren't going to make loads of $$$ out it but they do need some level of it.