The Photo Snob Thread

alexx23

Likes Dirt
I agree callan. Drove out there to discover that my "model" didn't want her photo taken, turns out she was more interested in me. The composition on the second is horrible, It was just a snap shot i managed to get as she didn't want her photo taken, but i like the light, so.

As of 13th of may I will own a 5MKII and a sigma 50mm f/1.4. My 1000d and nifty 50 are very dead, These were all manual focused from memory.

tu plang

knob
I guess a bunch of people will have already seen this on Facebook, but here's a shot from Friday morning I quite liked.

By far the best surfer on the best wave at the best time of the morning. Dee Why Point, Sydney.
F*cking awesome.

Some more.

I quite like the first one. Regardless of all else, the location and light has some serious potential. Second one is a weird composition - head shot centred in portrait orientation - hipster cross processing/desaturation is not for me... but that's me.

Yeah, but your horizon's crooked.
Haha.

tu plang

knob
Look over here!

In other s̶p̶a̶news, I entered this Facebook s̶p̶a̶m̶m̶i̶n̶g̶photography competition. If you find yourself bored or with some spare time, I would appreciate, and be in your debt, if you could like the Camerapro page and vote. Ideally you would vote for me but if you don't like my photo then feel free to vote as you wish.

http://bit.ly/zCF8Cn < link is safe, I promise.

Actually, another thing - I'm looking at buying a new monitor. I have a few purposes. The reason I need a monitor at all is because at the moment I only have my 15" MBP which is fine for internet browsing etc but I spend many of the hours when I'm not in the lab (with my nice Dell 24" Ultrasharp U2412M ISP display) on said MBP viewing my lab computer via Remote Desktop. What I do sucks on a 15" screen and trackpad - hence 22/23" monitor with keyboard and mouse is the answer. Now that's the boring back story.

The above usage is pretty insensitive to monitor performance but obviously I want something that has great colours for photo editing. It seems that ISP displays are the go in terms of colour accuracy. They tend to be a compromise in terms of pixel response (many are quite reasonable) however I don't really game so as long as ghosting is not too bad in movies, I'm happy. They also tend to be a compromise in terms of contrast - or at least some have great contrast (LG ISP2xxV series) but big weaknesses elsewhere - or great everything else but weak in contrast (HP U2312hm).

I'm off my rocker from reading countless reviews and general info. Does anyone have experience with the current budget/mid ISP monitor range?

I've boiled it down to:

- Dell U2312hm - 23" IPS panel - good colour accuracy out of the box (perfect if calibrated - one day maybe...), good response, when calibrated contrast is a bit low (770:1), good ergonomics (I like a high monitor and being able to rotate to portrait is nice too).

- Dell u2212hm - 22" IPS panel - as above but contrast >1000:1 when calibrated. less real estate is the only compromise (and also the price is about the same as the 23" - probably pushed up from demand due to the better contrast)

- LG IPS235V - 23" IPS, factory calibrated - good accuracy out of the box (but not vastly ahead of the uncalibrated alternatives listed, cheapest, good contrast (>1000:1), very slow, shithouse stand (no height or orientation adjust - tilt only).

- Viewsonic VP2365wb - 23" IPS, good colour accuracy but weak contrast and slow, also quite expensive compared to the dells and HP which seem to rate better in most aspects

- HP ZR2240w - same 22" panel as used in the dell - generally the same just here to say i've looked at it

There are others from ASUS, AOC, BENQ, Samsung (only have a 24" and 27" IPS (they call it PLS) - too dear), philips (237e3qphsu has poor reviews - ok colour but bad light bleed and terrible contrast <500:1), Iiyama (seem to generally be outperformed by those above) but my focus has been steered towards those that have decent lab tests/reviews. Btw the contrasts i quote are lab tested static, not spec sheet.

Help me put myself out of my misery and order something. I'm really tossing up between the two dells. My feeling is I'll appreciate the extra real estate over better contrast. To add to that, you don't want high contrast for photo editing necessary as other mediums in the workflow don't have the dynamic range anyway (particularly print but potentially camera too).

Last edited:
tu plang;2514479 Help me put myself out of my misery and order something. I'm really tossing up between the two dells. My feeling is I'll appreciate the extra real estate over better contrast. To add to that said:
From my experience be carefully with the dell, I brought a -bute 24" screen and had to send it back because of a green/red tinge running across the screen. After calibrating my screen it was worse. I sent it back in seplace of another monitor and it is kinda better, calibration says its good but I wish I really spent the money on an eizo.
I would suggest searching around for a shop that has said monitors and go and see for yourself.
Dell is cheap and you get hat you pay for.
I understand that you may not have the money for such a monitor (eizo) but if you want the best colour quality the pay for it.

tu plang

knob
From my experience be carefully with the dell, I brought a -bute 24" screen and had to send it back because of a green/red tinge running across the screen. After calibrating my screen it was worse. I sent it back in seplace of another monitor and it is kinda better, calibration says its good but I wish I really spent the money on an eizo.
I would suggest searching around for a shop that has said monitors and go and see for yourself.
Dell is cheap and you get hat you pay for.
I understand that you may not have the money for such a monitor (eizo) but if you want the best colour quality the pay for it.
Cheers, duly noted. I have used a few dell monitors and haven't ever been appalled, they also seem to have a good returns policy which lends some comfort. Yeah I looked at the 23" IPS Eizo and it's 3 times the price so I can't really justify that at the moment (I've returned to the life of a poor student).

wombat

Lives in a hole
I've had a great run with my Dell 2209 or whatever it is (older 22" IPS). Had a slightly green tinge out of the box, but was pretty close and came good once calibrated. Never seems to be very out at all when I recalibrate either, even if I've been lazy and left it quite a few months. It was such a huger jump over my old Samsung TN too.

Dunno what Dell are like with pricing on your side of the pond, but I see that over here they currently have the U2711 down to $719. Not really cheap, but it's a buttload of screen for the money, and on special it's cheaper than the 2410.

But I'd quite happily buy another cheaper Dell if I couldn't afford their better ones, or an Eizo/NEC (which lets be honest, I'll probably never be able to justify for home).

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Sorry for a bit of a thread derail but I thought i'd just put this out there to see if anyone is keen:

For sale: Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. Awesome condition, sharp as a tack and perfect colour and contrast. Used to take many-an-awesome photo. $700 posted to your door.

DHoffmann

Likes Bikes
Sorry for a bit of a thread derail but I thought i'd just put this out there to see if anyone is keen:

For sale: Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. Awesome condition, sharp as a tack and perfect colour and contrast. Used to take many-an-awesome photo. $700 posted to your door.
Dammit, wish I had $700 right now.

Figured I'd chuck this up here, after my aborted self-filming attempt at the You Yangs, I ended up roping in a couple mates to film the entire run and then combined it all with a gopro run. Lots of fun and good to get some experience in this side of photography (DSLR filming), despite me practically never being behind the camera.
Turns out I quite enjoy the editing side of things too, although wasn't really bothered with colour correction on this one.
Excuse the shit riding.

[video=youtube;X_e_ZAOuSyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_e_ZAOuSyM[/video]

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Tuplang, I have a Dell 2311 at the moment, and I have to say it's a fantastic screen, calibrated I have absolute confidence in it, very accurate. I'm sure you'll be happy with the Dell IPS screens.

DHoffman, turned out great!

Continuing with the sales, I'm selling my Manfrotto 055xprob tripod, excellent condition, there might be a couple of very minor scuffs, you would have to be looking for them to see them though -$150.

Also selling a Manfrotto 498rc2 ball head, again, in excellent condition - $100.

Can provide photo's, and i'm happy to post for $10 each, although i'm not sure if I still have the original boxes for them. Reason for selling - Gitzo.

Photo below sourced from the net, but this is what you'll be buying. Seriously solid tripod and head.

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
No probs guys.

It's been a while since I've posted something up... excuse the compression. During the summer we had a bunch of storms in over the period of a couple of weeks, was sunrise here and the sun was on the horizon. I actually cloned out a lightning bolt that shot out of thr right hand side of the frame.

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Great photo unlearn.

Took a few car photos last night.

And yes, the windscreen banner is ridiculous, it was put on for a bit of a laugh a couple of weeks ago, and will have to come off for ADGP anyway.