The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I know they're over your budget, but all I can say is Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS.
That is all :single_eye:
Craig, well over my budget, especially if I want to firstly stay married and secondly stay alive!:single_eye:
This is currently listed in the OCAU photography sales forum:

Bloke wants $1200 I think, or $2200 with a bunch of other bits.

NB: I've never really looked into studio gear (I know I can't afford it) so I have no idea if that is suitable for you...
OCAU is Overclockers, yes?
Shayne, Thanks for pointing me in this direction, whilst looking for more info on the BXRi's, I came across this:
I think this will be plenty suitable to start out with. Anyone had any experience with the D-Lites?

saMfish

Likes Dirt
I came across this:
I think this will be plenty suitable to start out with. Anyone had any experience with the D-Lites?
Yep, I've got this kit. Would recommend if you're likely to stick with it for a while (purely because $800 isn't a sum of money you want to spend then want to upgrade a few months later). The kit's got good build quality and the strobes pack a fair amount of punch for only being 400w. Not too hard to power externally either. Only ever had a misfire once or twice, other than that it's all been great.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess what's holding me back from taking more kit is that the plans are pretty open at the moment, and could well involve backpacking (or if we can organise it maybe even some cycle touring) for a bit; that's not something I really want to do with the 10+kg of camera gear in tow.
I'll definately look at the 135 Tris, although to be honest I'm loathe to part with the 70-200, I really love that thing.
Of course if I find myself over there and thinking I could carry more gear, I can always get the girl to post it over for me if I can sort out a mailing address.

I have nothing to add to the question but if you find yourself over the Channel let me know. I live in a photographic town with many a pub. I'll also be in Chamonix around TDF time if you happen to be in that part of the world.
For sure man, the Tour is totally on the to-do list, as is the UK hopefully. Actually, speaking of the tour, anybody done that before, or got tips on the best approach? Is it worthwhile hiring a car for transport or are there alternatives?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Just like this.
Haha, I remember the hoo-haa over whether or not that was real when the image first popped up online.

Another question kinda related to what I'd been asking already: who here's rocking a Dakine Sequence, or even just the camera block on its own?
I went out today looking for travel packs, and it looks like I'll probably end up with a ~75ltr pack, but a lot of them have detachable daypacks of 15-20L capacity. I really like the idea of this, it can serve as my carry-on bag for flights, and can always be attached to the main pack when required. What's I'm struggling with is how to get my photo gear into this system. I don't really want it in the daypack, hanging off the back of the big bag, but I want to be able to put it in there if I'm the small bag if that's all I'm carrying.

This got me thinking that maybe I should just get a big pack without the daypack, and get something like a Sequence to use as a day pack. Obviously it won't clip on as neatly, but it does give me the option to chuck the camera block in the main pack for security and protection, and just use the sequence as a normal day pack if I have the need.

Alternatively, does anyone make something like the camera block dakine do, but in a smaller version that I could slot into a little 20L day pack?

Edit: Lots of people make such inserts it seems, Domke and Tenba for starters, but also this neat one from Mountainsmith. They all seem to be lacking padding on at least one face though; I'd really prefer something that's padded all over like the dakine one, but just a bit smaller.

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I know there is a lot of car photographers so would really appreciate any opinions/feedback on my first set
The second one is my favourite, with two exceptions. Firstly, it's underexposed, and secondly, there's a colour cast on the car and ground from the sky.

Try bumping up the overall exposure and then doing some localised colour adjustments to the ground and wall, and then remove the vignette to further reduce the problem with exposure. Not bad for a first go though.

wombat

Lives in a hole
What about something like this?: http://www.naneubags.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=16&Itemid=35
Seems pretty sweet.

Edit: Watch the clip to see how the bag actually works...
That is a hectic cool camera bag. Can't help but think it'd compromise a bit on space for clothes and other stuff though. I found another version of that kit cube, which has a padded top flap too, so I think something like that is probably the go. It even has a strap so it could be a standalone shoulder bag in a pinch.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Shayne, check out F-stop Gear. I had a customer the other week come in and show me the Tilopa BC (48L - fits carry on) which is specifically a back country ski pack but suits well as a solid all rounder. Camera+gear is stored in individual cells (like the Dakine System) and is accessed via the back panel of the pack (like the LowePro Flipside series). Now that was a pretty serious set up but I believe they sell the 'ICU' storage cells individually - might be worth a look.

Attachments

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt

I understand this this is quite different, framing wise, but I do love it.

I guess I should have cleared up her skin a bit though.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Shayne, check out F-stop Gear. I had a customer the other week come in and show me the Tilopa BC (48L - fits carry on) which is specifically a back country ski pack but suits well as a solid all rounder. Camera+gear is stored in individual cells (like the Dakine System) and is accessed via the back panel of the pack (like the LowePro Flipside series). Now that was a pretty serious set up but I believe they sell the 'ICU' storage cells individually - might be worth a look.
Yeah, I checked their stuff out, they have an even bigger one than the Tilopa, called Satori. It's a sweet looking bit of kit, but it's only 62L and I can't seem to find a good display of how much room the smaller ICUs take up inside it, so it's probably a little on the small side. It's a bugger, if it was a bit bigger I reckon I'd be all over that one. Great warranty, if I wanted to check it in I could pull the ICU out for flights, ticks most of the boxes.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I was almost thinking a smaller version of that bag could be your day bag but that would be a PITA to travel with if you've got a bigger rucksack.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I was almost thinking a smaller version of that bag could be your day bag but that would be a PITA to travel with if you've got a bigger rucksack.
Yeah, I'm really starting to think that for now the easiest solution is a rucksack with day pack, and a camera insert to go in whatever. If I think I need something else over there I'm sure I can find it, it's not like we're heading to deepest Siberia after all.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I guess a bunch of people will have already seen this on Facebook, but here's a shot from Friday morning I quite liked.

By far the best surfer on the best wave at the best time of the morning. Dee Why Point, Sydney.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alex, I really like the first one on this page but it looks like she should be further to the right in the frame, as in, moved the camera to crop off the far right.

But that's just me.

Tristan that surf shot is pure amazing!

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Can someone run me through different print types?

I've wanted to get a largish (A0ish) size print done for a while but haven't decided what or how to do it yet so I was hoping someone could give the varying types, pros and cons, and any good or bad experiences you've had.

Cheers

Can someone run me through different print types?

I've wanted to get a largish (A0ish) size print done for a while but haven't decided what or how to do it yet so I was hoping someone could give the varying types, pros and cons, and any good or bad experiences you've had.

Cheers
I recently got a metallic print done. It turned out awesome. It was a black and white print so each time the light shone on the white parts is gave it this amazing sheen. I wouldn't recommend it for all photos (I wasn't sure about how it would turn out myself when I got it done) but if you can afford to, and want to take a risk, it's definately something to look into.