The Photo Snob Thread

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Awesome. It's been a while since there have been some bugs in here. Maybe I should pull the camera out again. Despite the wafer thin dof, you got the focus right on the eyes. By the looks of it, it could be a lady eating her significant other, but I don't really know with huntsmans. Good effort overall though. How many pics did you have to take to get this one?
Thanks! I reckon bugs are really easy to take a photo of. They are almost always a good subject since all you see of them normally is legs, body and color. Shoot some macro shots of it and it's actually quite scary looking haha.

Yes I think the DOF is still too thin, I think next time I'll try at like f8 or something. I tried using the 80mm, but it was a little too wide compared to the 50mm, since I wanted to get right up in his grills for what I think is the best effect. Ah well, live and learn. If only I had like 3mm of focus, instead of what seems like .5mm, would make all the difference!

I have no idea what it is, or what's going on. I was really surprised since I've never seen a huntsman eat anything, let alone another spider. Was a pretty big tangle of legs hahah. I think I went through probably 25 or so before I was happy with this one? I think only maybe 2 or 3 others are acceptable though, lots of failures getting the focus and exposure to an acceptable level.

Thanks! I reckon bugs are really easy to take a photo of. They are almost always a good subject since all you see of them normally is legs, body and color. Shoot some macro shots of it and it's actually quite scary looking haha.
That was the focus of my yr 12 art project; "Small Is Beautiful". They are often over looked and under appreciated.

25:3 isn't too bad. I often get hundreds and still manage to not get one in focus. The only thing I hate about shooting bugs is you can't control them. Then again, that's half the fun. That and the fact that the photos turn out more natural when they are going about their business.

You know what, thank you. Having seen this, I'm going to endeavour to pull out the camera and take more pics.
What's up with me tonight? I'm feeling way too philispohical about everything.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
25:3 isn't too bad. I often get hundreds and still manage to not get one in focus. The only thing I hate about shooting bugs is you can't control them. Then again, that's half the fun. That and the fact that the photos turn out more natural when they are going about their business.

You know what, thank you. Having seen this, I'm going to endeavour to pull out the camera and take more pics.
What's up with me tonight? I'm feeling way too philispohical about everything.
I got to cheat a bit since I was resting the rail of my extender on the window, so I just tilted it back and forward to get focus haha. I think 3/4 of the battle is just getting the damn thing to sit still, and a fridge works pretty well for that I reckon.

Good good, glad to be of inspiration :)

Picking the camera up is the hardest bit about taking good photos. And if you take good photos (in the opinions of everyone else), chances are you think you take terrible photos, which makes it so much harder to keep it up in the first place.

TWChikn

Likes Dirt
Bit of a downer compared to recent posts but I was digging through some older photos and found this. I plan to re-work it when I hae the time but thought I'd see what you lot reckon.
Capture5.JPG

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Bit of a downer compared to recent posts but I was digging through some older photos and found this. I plan to re-work it when I hae the time but thought I'd see what you lot reckon.
Definitely got potential dude...put a bit of work into it and you'll have a winner.

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Hey Fellas,
Here are a couple from the last couple of weeks from me!
Loving the second lot of Formula One shots Jason, better than the first one's I think!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Lights......

OK, I want to buy some studio/modelling lights but have really no idea where to start. I am after something of decent quality without my wife cutting off my nuts 'cause they cost too much.
Michaels I believe had a set of lights and stands for around $1k, I'm happy to go a bit more than that if need be. I'm after at least 2 lights, with stands, I'm not sure if I should go flash or constant light.
Any ideas of brands, where to buy from, cost, constant over flash or what I should be looking at as a minimum?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
OK, I want to buy some studio/modelling lights but have really no idea where to start. I am after something of decent quality without my wife cutting off my nuts 'cause they cost too much.
Michaels I believe had a set of lights and stands for around $1k, I'm happy to go a bit more than that if need be. I'm after at least 2 lights, with stands, I'm not sure if I should go flash or constant light.
Any ideas of brands, where to buy from, cost, constant over flash or what I should be looking at as a minimum?
I know they're over your budget, but all I can say is Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS.
That is all :single_eye:

wombat

Lives in a hole
This is currently listed in the OCAU photography sales forum:

2x Elinchrom BXRi 500 flash heads
2x Elinchrom Portalite 66cm square softboxes
2x 2.4m Air-cushioned Light Stands
1x Elinchrom Skyport transmitter
2x Power Cables
1x Stand Bag
1x Case for heads and accessories
Bloke wants $1200 I think, or $2200 with a bunch of other bits.

NB: I've never really looked into studio gear (I know I can't afford it) so I have no idea if that is suitable for you...

wombat

Lives in a hole
Actually, I have a question too: travel gear.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to Europe (predominantly France) shortly, somewhere between 6 and 12 months, largely funds dependent. Pretty much hanging out to shoot some awesome scenery, but not really sure what I'll be carrying.

The 5D is coming, but the grip can stay home. I figure the 24-70 will be my go to most of the time, but I've always really liked the idea of playing with compression in landscape shots so I'm sort of hankering for something longer too. As much as I love the 70-200, it's 1.5kg that I just don't think I can justify carrying, so I think the drainpipe stays home too. Question is, is there anything light (and preferrably cheap) that would give some sort of coverage there? Zoom or prime, I'm open to options. Also planning on hitting Spa later in the year too, and maybe a WRC round. I'll probably be spewing if I don't have something longer there.

I reckon I can chuck in a couple of Cokin grads I've got too, they're too small for the 24-70, but they'll work if I just hand hold, or ghetto mount with some rubber bands. Should I grab an ND400 or a big stopper too? I think the tripod is out too, so I might just take a gorillapod and buy a tripod over there if I think I need it.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Shayne, all I have to say is that I sold my 70-200 in favour of a 135L just before I left for 7 months in Europe back at the start of 2008, and I still have it. It's probably the best change I've ever made. The 135L is smaller, lighter, less conspicuous, sharper, faster (in terms of aperture and focus speed), and just generally more fucking awesome than the 70-200 in every way. It's also much more versatile than you would think. Using it on my 5D was akin to a photographic orgasm.

I suggest you do the same. You will not be disappointed.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I lugged my tripod around Europe. If nothing else, carry it just to ward off pesky street vendors / beggars.

tu plang

knob
Actually, I have a question too: travel gear.

Looks like I'm taking a trip to Europe (predominantly France) shortly, somewhere between 6 and 12 months, largely funds dependent. Pretty much hanging out to shoot some awesome scenery, but not really sure what I'll be carrying.

The 5D is coming, but the grip can stay home. I figure the 24-70 will be my go to most of the time, but I've always really liked the idea of playing with compression in landscape shots so I'm sort of hankering for something longer too. As much as I love the 70-200, it's 1.5kg that I just don't think I can justify carrying, so I think the drainpipe stays home too. Question is, is there anything light (and preferrably cheap) that would give some sort of coverage there? Zoom or prime, I'm open to options. Also planning on hitting Spa later in the year too, and maybe a WRC round. I'll probably be spewing if I don't have something longer there.

I reckon I can chuck in a couple of Cokin grads I've got too, they're too small for the 24-70, but they'll work if I just hand hold, or ghetto mount with some rubber bands. Should I grab an ND400 or a big stopper too? I think the tripod is out too, so I might just take a gorillapod and buy a tripod over there if I think I need it.
I have nothing to add to the question but if you find yourself over the Channel let me know. I live in a photographic town with many a pub. I'll also be in Chamonix around TDF time if you happen to be in that part of the world.

I just got back to Germany carrying with me on board a.
Lowepro pro roller X200
1dmiii
5d with grip
70-200mm 2.8
50mm
17-40mm
15mm fish eye
1.4x converter
2x 430ex
Flash cord
Elinchrom skyports
Varies filters
Along with my tablet, papers, wallet, mp3 n head phones my bag weighed in at mmm about 13-15 kg's
Nerer got asked once to check the weight.
The good thing about the bag is that it's on rollers so no need to carry the heavy beast. A good bag will help you out and my two cents. I would tell you to carry that heavy 70-200mm with you. Pain in the arse but I'm sure you willl need it, When your at Spa or a WRC France you will understand.
You can also buy a light tripod?? And just put in into your check in luguage or just buy one when you arrive in France.