The Photo Snob Thread

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Hey man,
I like the first and second, good shots :)
are you shooting with a flash?, I'm just thinking for the second if you had a small amount of fill flash in the front it may have been rad.
Cheers Elliot. I tend not to shoot with flash at gigs, mainly cos I dont want to piss off the band or audience too much.. That said, I met another photographer that night who gave me tips to bounce flash for the drummer. Gave it a shot and liked the results. Still, I'll probably stick with un-natural light for most gigs..

As for your shots, same comment as above, watch out for cutting off the fingers!

Went n saw Blue Juice at the Manning bar the other night, Epic Fun, and I also took the camera.

Can I please get some CC?
2nd would be rad with a bit of a closer crop, and probably without the sound tech in the background or the blurry head in the bottom (but that couldn't really be helped). Third is a good idea, i feel like you just missed the execution though. Can't wait to shoot them when they come to the gong at the end of April. I heard they put on a rad live show

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
Took this photo on the holidays at my mates place, only recently had it processed and only just got around to scanning it onto the computer.
Small Version

Large version here

C&C

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
That said, I met another photographer that night who gave me tips to bounce flash for the drummer. Gave it a shot and liked the results. Still, I'll probably stick with un-natural light for most gigs..
Care to enlighten us? The only way I could really get the drummer at a gig I took photos for a few weeks ago was to drag the shutter a bit though the forground was a little to bright. Maybe bouncing could have worked better...

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
It's really pretty straightforward... assuming you can get side of stage, get as close as possible to the drummer, and just bounce off the ceiling. That way, the flash isn't hitting the drummers, or anyone elses, eyes, but you still get a decent spread of downward light, and if you shoot second curtain, you get an acceptable shot. Mind you, I know what you mean about dragging the shutter, drummers are NEVER well lit, in comparison to the rest of the band.

As an example, and a rough one. This definately doesn't qualify as a top notch capture, but it's an example of what bouncing off the roof at about 1/16 can do..

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It's really pretty straightforward... assuming you can get side of stage, get as close as possible to the drummer, and just bounce off the ceiling. That way, the flash isn't hitting the drummers, or anyone elses, eyes, but you still get a decent spread of downward light, and if you shoot second curtain, you get an acceptable shot. Mind you, I know what you mean about dragging the shutter, drummers are NEVER well lit, in comparison to the rest of the band.

As an example, and a rough one. This definately doesn't qualify as a top notch capture, but it's an example of what bouncing off the roof at about 1/16 can do..

Not bad man. Sides of the stage for this particular event were blocked but I had about 1.5m infront of the crowd before the stage in which to operate in so I made use of it but as you said, drummers are never well lit. For some of the 'whole band' shots I nabbed, metering for the foreground, having the flash zoomed and diffused and dragging the shutter worked really well. I've only ever been to a few gigs but I've found that there is generally enough light around go down to 1/30th or slower without too much blur (well, unintentional that is). Rear curtain helps too though.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I normally dont get touchy about 'distracting' things in the frame, but that elbow makes me sad. Fuckin' awesome shot otherwise. Really captures the mood of rough, rocky 4X racing.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.

Yewww, new 42" brolly (and old 32") with newly acquired Pocket Wizards :)

Quick clone of other one, better?

Last edited:

nein!

Squid
hey blokes.

looking for some advice.

my sister has offered to sell me her 40d for cheap, so i'm looking at selling my pentax k100d dslr with a sigma 55 - 200mm and an 18 - 55mm lense as well as other stuff (fisheye lense filter type thing, 4gb card etc). it's all it pristine condition and i still have the boxes for it all.

how much could i reasonably expect to get for this?

cheers friends.

here's a picture for your troubles

cc always welcomed too :~)

Drew.

Eats Squid
Yewww, new 42" brolly (and old 32") with newly acquired Pocket Wizards :)

NOICE! I like the picture, too! Cool colours.

Im hoping to get my hands on some new good light stands soon and some better light modifiers.
52" would be niiceee and soft.

hey blokes.

looking for some advice.

my sister has offered to sell me her 40d for cheap, so i'm looking at selling my pentax k100d dslr with a sigma 55 - 200mm and an 18 - 55mm lense as well as other stuff (fisheye lense filter type thing, 4gb card etc). it's all it pristine condition and i still have the boxes for it all.

how much could i reasonably expect to get for this?

cheers friends.

here's a picture for your troubles

cc always welcomed too :~)
Id say pushing $600?

How much are you buying the 40d for??

Picture, wayyyy to tightly cropped.

Last edited:

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
*snip
Look at their faces, determination and concentration into the race, as said before really brings the photo out,
really diggin' how you process your photos Callan.

EDIT -

What are some good ND filters, and any location to buy them for?

77mm needed for 17-40 - long exposures.

I'm still browsing around for some, but anything to speed up the process is nice. :)

Last edited:

nein!

Squid
NOICE! I like the picture, too! Cool colours.

Im hoping to get my hands on some new good light stands soon and some better light modifiers.
52" would be niiceee and soft.

Id say pushing $600?

How much are you buying the 40d for??

Picture, wayyyy to tightly cropped.
she's selling me the 40d for 500 :~)

the crop is fairly retarded because i had to get rid of the blurred heads in front :\