The Photo Snob Thread

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Ok snobbers,

I have a friend on exchange in Malaysia who has spotted a D90+18-105mm VR+bag+tripod+SD card for around $1300. Considering the body+lens here in Melbourne would cost $1700, I think that's a pretty good deal.

Say she purchases it over there, it will be treated like any other 'grey' import over here right? She's away for another 6 months from memory; are there any taxes that will apply when it is brought back over here?

Any insight would be much appreciated...

MrSafety

Likes Dirt
To me, the whole blurred front bush thing (lol) takes up waayy to much of the picture, and between the fake looking background behind him and the fact you can't see the ground, the picture sort of leaves no story behind what the hell he's actually doing...
Thanks for that, really solid feedback, I can see where your coming from for sure.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is just what I've read on here but if she was to use it for those 6 months (or to take it out of packaging, put some scuff marks on it etc.) you would get around the tax. It has been discussed for bike parts try and find it somewhere in general MTB.

On another note my 7D arrived today. Had a quick shoot at a river near my house and I'm about to see how the pictures turned out.

Lorday

Eats Squid
I seem to get the best out people:

Meet Shorty, he is one of the happiest people I know.

All shot with film, unedited. C&C

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
24Alpha: I'm new to shooting photos, so what sort of things should I be working on to take photos that dont look like the ones I've posted? I've read a few of the photo tutorials that get posted up, and I'm obviously not doing something right. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Ben

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
24Alpha: I'm new to shooting photos, so what sort of things should I be working on to take photos that dont look like the ones I've posted? I've read a few of the photo tutorials that get posted up, and I'm obviously not doing something right. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Ben
These pages on the Snob thread have hundreds of tips and hints. The last 5 pages or so have 3 that come to mind. Cropping, Flash bouncing and skin tones. You just have to read. POTN (Canon Forum) also has some wicked stuff as does alot of photography mags.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
I paid ~$25 for one, simply because a business card wedged into the top of my flash was not the most professional thing to walk around with. I'm really glad I got one actually as they do a really good job, in taking the 'edge' off indoors. I went to Digital Camera Warehouse.
you mention indoors, i was thinking more outdoors where i cant bounce the flash and want the flash as fill light. Would these cups still work at removing the harsh flash? or lowering the power of the flash make the same effect?

And where u using the business card as a bounce card? did it work at all? even if it looked stupid?

thanks for the help.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice 24alpha, I'm going to get some flashes soon, so I'll try using bouncing and stuff. As for toning and cropping I'll have a go at editing the photos tonight.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
you mention indoors, i was thinking more outdoors where i cant bounce the flash and want the flash as fill light. Would these cups still work at removing the harsh flash? or lowering the power of the flash make the same effect?

And where u using the business card as a bounce card? did it work at all? even if it looked stupid?

thanks for the help.
Diffusion domes aren't directly responsible for making light softer (this is dictated to by the size of your 'light', hence why studios use umbrellas), rather, they scatter it so it can then be bounced off walls, ceilings and the likes making it appear like you have one big light source. In short, they work best when you have bounce available.

The 'business card', simply is kinda an extension of the diffusion dome idea in that the flash throws light up which can be bounced etc, but the card directs it forward a little more-great for portraits etc.

For outdoors, all the dome is doing is robbing you of power as it's throwing your light out in all different directions. In these intances, where you can't bounce, you want something like this to effectively increase your light source.

My 'business card' soon grew to something similar in size but certain family members graffitied it at Christmas...

I'd also try reduing your flash power and balance more with ambient light as generally, a balanced (bare) fill flash is all that you need to illuminate a subject whilst retaining some background definition. If your flash has a 'wide angle diffuser' (the thing that folds out and looks like a bike reflector), use that as that will direct light out a little more.

You can also get those big tupperware thingos (Gary Fong domes I think they're called) which are kinda an 'in between' as they not only diffuse light up, but they throw it out more than a standard diffusion dome and they work pretty well outdoors (so I've heard...I've never used one and they look pretty darn funny!)

There are much more knowledgable members here so I'm hoping someone else puts in their $0.02 worth also...

Hope that helps mate.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
the fact that her head was split in half kinda gets to me:

Could be nice with an edit, mehh :(

Her left eye troubles me a bit. Awesome shot though, i'm a fan of the skin tones.

Any thoughts on this one? 90mm @f14, 1/100s. Nikon SB-600 off camera

Last edited:

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
One from a while that i just put on my Flickr.
City of Kota Kinabalo. Canon AE-1.

yes, the horizon is wonky, but i don't own a tripod.
C&C

freeride-freak

Likes Dirt
Found this the other day, a ricoh point and shoot, pre WW2 have shot a roll of film in it and i will be developing it tomorrow. Hoping it works!

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Found this the other day, a ricoh point and shoot, pre WW2 have shot a roll of film in it and i will be developing it tomorrow. Hoping it works!

That photo is cool. Doesn't even matter how the roll turns out, because you already have an interesting shot. Anyway, keen to see how the film turns out.

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Thanks AngoXC. Your .02 cents was awesome.

I went into my local camera shop asking for that last option (bouce card which velcros to the light) the gurl bassically laughed at me and made me feel like a dickhead just because i wanted one. I tried to explain to her what it did, she then asked the other shop assistant what i wanted just to be a smart ass. I was horrified, i googled and the things do exsist. She then was saying my only option is a reflector and since i dont have an assistant following me around, there kinda usless. So i attempted finding the paper to make my own. Is there a pro name for these things? so when i go to another shop they may not laugh at me.

I called the thing a bounce card and she said that they never exisit and that it is imposible to bounce light outside.

Thanks again.

p.s UNLEARN. your bee shots are awesome +1 for set up you used and what lens?