The gaming thread

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I dont think you know how target markets are identified. Ps4 is not a target market by virtue of CB2077 having been released on the platform lol. It's just an another revenue stream. And likely one that only makes up a fraction of their projected sales. You do it because it adds to the revenue, not because it's your target. Even if it add 1% to your bottom line, it makes sense to d ok when the scale is millions of dollars.

Youre arguing for it like as if everyone who owns and currently uses a ps4 was going to buy CB2077. Its simply not the target market.

x86 has been around since 1985 and freeBSD since 1997, berhaps they should be looking to port it to the 486 or even 386, shouldn't be difficult, right?

Target markets arent so broad to be assumed based on console sales numbers either or how many get switched on regularly.

RPG as a genre is not the typical console bread and butter. This game has a very specific audience, some of them own consoles. The RPG target market however is strongly based on PC for obvious reasons.

They will make plenty off the pc platform (50M in the first 2 weeks isnt bad hey), and they will fix issues plaguing ps4. Those that haven't already bought a ps5 or bought the game on PC by then will buy it if they want to I play it on PS4. Though I find it more likely that if they want to play it badly enough, they'll upgrade. It's a good excuse to do so.

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
'Sorry love wont be a minute im just on a mtb forum arguing about ps4's'

I downloaded warzone the other day, a bit of fun with friends i havn't seen in years. The free ps plus download this month was pretty good too, platform game hollow something or other. Kept me busy whilst it rained.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
RPG as a genre is not the typical console bread and butter. This game has a very specific audience, some of them own consoles. The RPG target market however is strongly based on PC for obvious reasons.
Not sure where you get this from. If the RPG target market is more strongly based on PC, then it perplexes me why there exists titles which are first released on console (and some remain only for console) and only after on PC. Perfect example is the FF7 remake which was released on console and still yet released on PC.

I'm sure they will fix up CB2077 on the ps4, whether it was the target market or not. If you release a game on a platform, be sure that it at least playable on that platform. If you can't even do that, then you should be shut down.

Last edited:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hinted to the public. Developers have years lead time on architecture and a view to intended specs well in advance. Why do you think the game released simultaneously on all platforms? Upgrading assets isn t a flick of a button, they've been developing for all platforms simultaneously.

While you're correct that most won't up grade immediately most of those People also know that they'll be trying to play a new gen game on sub par hardware. I'd say most people who are serious about their gaming would not have tried and will wait to play it on next gen. Or buy a PC. (Ahem pc master race).

GTA5 is about 5 years old now. I'm not surprised it works perfectly on the last gen console it was made for. RdR2 also old and developed for the last gen architecture. Bad examples.
If the xbone/PS4 aren’t target and X/S/PS5 are, why has CP2077 not been optimised for those systems and likely won’t until late 2021?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I dont think you know how target markets are identified. Ps4 is not a target market by virtue of CB2077 having been released on the platform lol. It's just an another revenue stream. And likely one that only makes up a fraction of their projected sales. You do it because it adds to the revenue, not because it's your target. Even if it add 1% to your bottom line, it makes sense to d ok when the scale is millions of dollars.
You can't really separate one from the other anyhow. You still are targetting similar demographic people into RPG shootery stuff regardless if it is PS4, XB1 or PS5 or whatever but those people still need to have the platform to target to run your shiny new game and so it is still a factor like it or not. Saying that, the hardcore RPG shooter market for pocket calculators is a greenfield ready for picking.

Anyhow, none of this makes any difference whatsoever if you aren't competent to deliver a working product that doesn't lead to core dumps.

Youre arguing for it like as if everyone who owns and currently uses a ps4 was going to buy CB2077. Its simply not the target market.
No. I said the opposite right here that will apply to any platform. Even if 30% bought it then they would still be way in front of the next gen console sales.

No one will develop a game since 2012 for target market of a next gex consoles that will have about 6M all up out in the wild when they launch.
From that, they will need also subset of owners that want to buy my game which might be 3M all up.

x86 has been around since 1985 and freeBSD since 1997, berhaps they should be looking to port it to the 486 or even 386, shouldn't be difficult, right?
No. PS1, PS2, PS3 and XB360 are not x86 and hence more difficult to port between the MIPS/Cell/PPC to x86 era.
There will be no 286 or 4004 port but I will start a well marketed and petition full of social media influencers for Z80A port and then flip tables if it doesn't happen and shout a lot on YouTube.

Target markets arent so broad to be assumed based on console sales numbers either or how many get switched on regularly.
Please do. The floor is yours to tell us all about the world of game target marketing with loads of venn diagrams with consoles, PCs and 8-16 and 16-24 year old gamers and the EB sales plus other massively interesting observations on game buying, especially in the $10 and under bin and turning paid games into free games but adding paid DLC where it was another well hyped bigger-than-jesus-experience but flopped.
The Cash Converters game stash is also a game marketers behavioural wet dream.

RPG's have been on consoles for a long time even if the keyboard and mouse team say they shouldn't. Not that it is the best place for them but they still appear, so the marketing folks must firmly believe that console RPG players are out there.

They will make plenty off the pc platform (50M in the first 2 weeks isnt bad hey), and they will fix issues plaguing ps4. Those that haven't already bought a ps5 or bought the game on PC by then will buy it if they want to I play it on PS4. Though I find it more likely that if they want to play it badly enough, they'll upgrade. It's a good excuse to do so.
The initial launch is always the gold mine. It doesn't get better than that and is all downhill from here.
They blew it at the best time being the Xmas holiday period with the colder indoors northern hemisphere to help sales.

By the time they fix it, then people might not be bothered with it and next shiny new is out.
Bugs and the reputation that follows were great for Fallout 76 too.

I probably would have got 2077 for the PS4 if it had decent reviews but would wait now till the smell of freshly laid crap wears off and a few patch releases and better reviews surface. There is plenty of other things to play. Tell the marketing propeller heads that one.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Not sure where you get this from. If the RPG target market is more strongly based on PC, then it perplexes me why there exists titles which are first released on console (and some remain only for console) and only after on PC. Perfect example is the FF7 remake which was released on console and still yet released on PC.

I'm sure they will fix up CB2077 on the ps4, whether it was the target market or not. If you release a game on a platform, be sure that it at least playable on that platform. If you can't even do that, then you should be shut down.
Because the FF series has always been a console rpg. A large volume of JRPGs are exclusively console because they have a heavy console culture, but JRPG is also a niche. FF series is almost the only successful JRPG export and an exception, not the rule.

An bonus answer to that question is that sometimes the games are exclusives to prop up a new platform, like horizon zero dawn was for the ps4PRO. That doesnt prove your point at all either. Because for every console rpg, theres like 10 for PC exclusive RPG. If you don't be live me, jump on steam, filter by RPG then go and try and find 10% of those titles on a console.

Don't disagree with the sentiment that the game should t be released if its buggy. My only over arching argument is that ps4 gamers are not a target market for CP2077.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
You can't really separate one from the other anyhow. You still are targetting similar demographic people into RPG shootery stuff regardless if it is PS4, XB1 or PS5 or whatever but those people still need to have the platform to target to run your shiny new game and so it is still a factor like it or not. Saying that, the hardcore RPG shooter market for pocket calculators is a greenfield ready for picking.
umm yes you can. Some players literally could not give a shit about a story driven RPG game and just want to pwn noobs in COD. Or some people just want to kick a ball around in FIFA. Wrap cars around trees in Forza etc. You can see this when people are selling their old consoles and their stack of games. They usually have avery specific library.

While plenty of gamers enjoy a variety of games, you cant lump console owners under the banner of "target market" for a very story driven long winded sci-fi RPG regardless of how much shooting, driving cars or kicking balls occur in it just because they game on a console.

Anyhow, none of this makes any difference whatsoever if you aren't competent to deliver a working product that doesn't lead to core dumps.
Never disagreed with that sentiment. Again the argument is PS4 console players are not the target market. There may be some players within the overall target market that wish to play that only own a PS4. Not the same.

No. I said the opposite right here that will apply to any platform. Even if 30% bought it then they would still be way in front of the next gen console sales.

No one will develop a game since 2012 for target market of a next gex consoles that will have about 6M all up out in the wild when they launch.
From that, they will need also subset of owners that want to buy my game which might be 3M all up.
30% is still a fanciful number. Anyone who has been a gamer in their life will know that A-grade titles are best played on the best hardware of the time. Those people will generally strive to play these games on those platforms.

Also again, not target market. Plenty of people with PC that out number console players which have gone and bought the game at launch. Ps5 launch numbers and how many people will end up playing the game on ps5 are not tied to each other. Plenty of people wont play this game for 1 year or more. But you can bet when they do, they will probably not be doing it on a PS4.

No. PS1, PS2, PS3 and XB360 are not x86 and hence more difficult to port between the MIPS/Cell/PPC to x86 era.
There will be no 286 or 4004 port but I will start a well marketed and petition full of social media influencers for Z80A port and then flip tables if it doesn't happen and shout a lot on YouTube.
That wasnt really the point i was making. The point is that 8 year old technology is going to be worse at running anything at the level that CP2077 is. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Please do. The floor is yours to tell us all about the world of game target marketing with loads of venn diagrams with consoles, PCs and 8-16 and 16-24 year old gamers and the EB sales plus other massively interesting observations on game buying, especially in the $10 and under bin and turning paid games into free games but adding paid DLC where it was another well hyped bigger-than-jesus-experience but flopped.
The Cash Converters game stash is also a game marketers behavioural wet dream.
why would i do this? all you need to know is that 13 million copies sold after factoring refunds (so far). That's like 780M at 60 bucks a pop. ps4 copped the issues, not more advanced ps4pros consoles. SO do you really need a diagram to realise that ps4 players wanting to play this game on a shit old console make up an insignificant number of players? ergo not the target. They could also just say "you know guys, were not doing anything about the PS4 anymore, have your money back" and they'd still be half a billion dollars up after development costs (which are reportedly 130M) in just the first two weeks.

RPG's have been on consoles for a long time even if the keyboard and mouse team say they shouldn't. Not that it is the best place for them but they still appear, so the marketing folks must firmly believe that console RPG players are out there.
never argued that point. again the argument is that ps4 owners are not the target market for CP2077.

The initial launch is always the gold mine. It doesn't get better than that and is all downhill from here.
They blew it at the best time being the Xmas holiday period with the colder indoors northern hemisphere to help sales.
They "blew it" with a small segment of the player base which own ps4s. the rest of us are juggling dildos and shooting corpos in the face. I cant imagine that the ps4 crowd will contribute significantly to the overall sales numbers. "blew it" is so relative - I'd love to "blow" my launch of a game and still make half a billion dollars in two weeks.

As to launch being the gold mine - hmmm sometimes. Witcher 3 sold more coppies in the three years after release than it did in the first year. Then the Witcher series was made and that one year outsold the prior 3 after a whole new audience was introduced to the series. So it seams the longevity of the goldrush is more to do with the quality of the game, the accolades and marketing campaigns.

By the time they fix it, then people might not be bothered with it and next shiny new is out.
Bugs and the reputation that follows were great for Fallout 76 too.
Maybe, but fall out 76 was basically the same fall out game as the last several fall out games. It offered nothing new or exciting to rope new or old players in. Expect a cyberpunk 2077 netflix series (oh wait, already being done for 2022) and expect the game to generate more interest and players. by which point, people will likley have a bug free experience and no one will remember what a PS4 is.

I probably would have got 2077 for the PS4 if it had decent reviews but would wait now till the smell of freshly laid crap wears off and a few patch releases and better reviews surface. There is plenty of other things to play. Tell the marketing propeller heads that one.
I see now why you're so vehemently defending the pS4. good luck playing the game on a potato. CD Projekt Red would like you to know they could care less, they told me so :D

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
umm yes you can. Some players literally could not give a shit about a story driven RPG game and just want to pwn noobs in COD. Or some people just want to kick a ball around in FIFA. Wrap cars around trees in Forza etc. You can see this when people are selling their old consoles and their stack of games. They usually have avery specific library.
Hey Squiddz,

That is a leap. I'd think most games, casual or not just get the better known titles of each genre hencr the wide spread of stuff.
Why you would want only play all of one genre is a bit limiting to me but I also have exactly that in the past - but hey, that is a personal choice and things must change.

Not the point though, if I was making RPG shooters then it would make perfect sense to offer it to as many interested buyers as possible - casual or dedicated gamers, console or PC, whatever, all of their money looks the same in the end. Why not make it so more have access to it than not?

While plenty of gamers enjoy a variety of games, you cant lump console owners under the banner of "target market" for a very story driven long winded sci-fi RPG regardless of how much shooting, driving cars or kicking balls occur in it just because they game on a console.
Why not if the console hardware or horsepower is not the limiting factor? If the consumer is happy then you have won. If you can make it work well enough on a console controller interface which biggest issue and not much more IMHO.

The onus would be on the developer to make a big epic game that is PC only and have enough market share to make the a bunch of money out of it. Maybe once upon a time that was a great idea and the only option but the console market has ate a big chunk of that lunch long ago. The PC market has it own niche but no developer is strong enough to ignore the console market. Think of that whatever you like but that won't change. Horse has bolted and not coming back.

Never disagreed with that sentiment. Again the argument is PS4 console players are not the target market. There may be some players within the overall target market that wish to play that only own a PS4. Not the same.
Well, they still made it for non-target platform. Think of the marketing folks who must have been royally pissed at that one. Call it whatever you like but they still did the opposite of what you say. I'd call it A-Grade BS. It is only their fault that the end product sucked hard. Not point blaming the console if you just aren't as good with it as other developers nor have the capacity to make a reasonable decisions on how to steer you own product.

30% is still a fanciful number. Anyone who has been a gamer in their life will know that A-grade titles are best played on the best hardware of the time. Those people will generally strive to play these games on those platforms.
Yep, picked 30% out of the air and it is fair stab. "A-Grade' titles are offered on mainstreams consoles since the PC market just won't supply the expected profits nor the PC must not have the fabled 'target market' all to itself. There are hordes of casual console gamers that are obviously sneered at by the PC 1337 d00dz that need to spend $2k on a GPU but doesn't make them less important overall. Dev's will fold without them.

Also again, not target market. Plenty of people with PC that out number console players which have gone and bought the game at launch. Ps5 launch numbers and how many people will end up playing the game on ps5 are not tied to each other. Plenty of people wont play this game for 1 year or more. But you can bet when they do, they will probably not be doing it on a PS4.
Pre-orders sound good but not big deal. Many have been burnt on the game hypewagon where the end product is less than stellar.
At this point, it is all null and void since you can't buy it as direct download from Sony now. See if they fix it to something worthy but to already have Sony take out the biggest title of the year and shoot it in the back fo the head isn't a great vote for confidence.

That wasnt really the point i was making. The point is that 8 year old technology is going to be worse at running anything at the level that CP2077 is. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
That goes without saying. If you should make it then you should make it reasonable and not a rolling bug fest - downscale whatever is needed but atleast make it playable and not having heads being clipped off and falling into unseen chasms etc. Is that too much to ask? FFS.
It must have been seen a good enough to release but it wasn't, so they played the consumers for suckers. Fuck those guys since they deserve it.

why would i do this? all you need to know is that 13 million copies sold after factoring refunds (so far). That's like 780M at 60 bucks a pop. ps4 copped the issues, not more advanced ps4pros consoles. SO do you really need a diagram to realise that ps4 players wanting to play this game on a shit old console make up an insignificant number of players? ergo not the target. They could also just say "you know guys, were not doing anything about the PS4 anymore, have your money back" and they'd still be half a billion dollars up after development costs (which are reportedly 130M) in just the first two weeks.
This is your 'target market' show. All I need to know that after these fat budgets seeded with pre order $$$ and years of dev time that we apparently have to cut these guys some slack with loads of excuses for producing digital horseshit. It wasn't our fault that the PS4 is a PS4, right.
The only conclusion can be that it was a $$$ grab if they are making software for a console that apparently they don't have anyone on it that will play thier game anyhow.

never argued that point. again the argument is that ps4 owners are not the target market for CP2077.
No, that is not it at all. If it worked well then we wouldn't be here shooting the shit about this now.

The point being that they made a plie of crap and must have at some point known that they were shipping rubbish. They must have seen something there with the PS4/XB1 or they would not have bothered. I gather the XB1 is not a target market either since it the wrong gen and the next gen consoles are too few and far between to help with the bottom line.

They "blew it" with a small segment of the player base which own ps4s. the rest of us are juggling dildos and shooting corpos in the face. I cant imagine that the ps4 crowd will contribute significantly to the overall sales numbers. "blew it" is so relative - I'd love to "blow" my launch of a game and still make half a billion dollars in two weeks.
Sigh, presently the largest console install base in the entire market. Why would that not contribute to the bottom line.
Isn't their $109 as good as the PC's guys $109? If they actually made something worthy then that 1/2 billion easily could be a lot more

As to launch being the gold mine - hmmm sometimes. Witcher 3 sold more coppies in the three years after release than it did in the first year. Then the Witcher series was made and that one year outsold the prior 3 after a whole new audience was introduced to the series. So it seams the longevity of the goldrush is more to do with the quality of the game, the accolades and marketing campaigns.
You can only change day zero pricing at the start. Price per copy plunges over time making it more attractive to buy. Sure, they all make improvments and you would not expect to have guns clipping through heads after a year of GA release time at the most.
Get bargain 'Platinum' status or in a online store bargain bin price. Nothing to see here.

Maybe, but fall out 76 was basically the same fall out game as the last several fall out games. It offered nothing new or exciting to rope new or old players in. Expect a cyberpunk 2077 netflix series (oh wait, already being done for 2022) and expect the game to generate more interest and players. by which point, people will likley have a bug free experience and no one will remember what a PS4 is.
No, Fallout 76 has been another buggy mess from the start. Sure, you have expect some but there is a limit.

I see now why you're so vehemently defending the pS4. good luck playing the game on a potato. CD Projekt Red would like you to know they could care less, they told me so :D
No, I have no need to defend. Just stating the obvious. I owe Sony nor anything else game related nothing. My PS4 was free too.

I'm like most others hear stating the elephant in the room is that a buggy rubbish product made it as a GA release and for reasons only known to you that the PS4 and 'target market' faff are in turn the real culprits to blame is a monumentally stupid way to justify it. I'll give you a plus for entertainment value though and I'm sure someone out there will believe it. Nothing to do with them releasing a shit product that would still be beta at best bugger all, if any Q&A, but hey, it isn't our fault...............don't blame us,...... it is you guys................lol.........geeeeezzzz......

If they couldn't do it then do not make it for the PS4. Don't release it. Pretty simple, right. Instead they saw $$$ and apparently, as a big surprise to everyone, including you, made it for a target market clearly doesn't exist and still went GA. Step right up to believe that one. It must take a lot of courage to believe your own story and all the power to you.

CD Projekt Red said they couldn't hear you say that while you were giving them complimentary shill blowjobs :D

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Hey Squiddz,

That is a leap. I'd think most games, casual or not just get the better known titles of each genre hencr the wide spread of stuff.
Why you would want only play all of one genre is a bit limiting to me but I also have exactly that in the past - but hey, that is a personal choice and things must change.

Not the point though, if I was making RPG shooters then it would make perfect sense to offer it to as many interested buyers as possible - casual or dedicated gamers, console or PC, whatever, all of their money looks the same in the end. Why not make it so more have access to it than not?

Why not if the console hardware or horsepower is not the limiting factor? If the consumer is happy then you have won. If you can make it work well enough on a console controller interface which biggest issue and not much more IMHO.

The onus would be on the developer to make a big epic game that is PC only and have enough market share to make the a bunch of money out of it. Maybe once upon a time that was a great idea and the only option but the console market has ate a big chunk of that lunch long ago. The PC market has it own niche but no developer is strong enough to ignore the console market. Think of that whatever you like but that won't change. Horse has bolted and not coming back.

Well, they still made it for non-target platform. Think of the marketing folks who must have been royally pissed at that one. Call it whatever you like but they still did the opposite of what you say. I'd call it A-Grade BS. It is only their fault that the end product sucked hard. Not point blaming the console if you just aren't as good with it as other developers nor have the capacity to make a reasonable decisions on how to steer you own product.

Yep, picked 30% out of the air and it is fair stab. "A-Grade' titles are offered on mainstreams consoles since the PC market just won't supply the expected profits nor the PC must not have the fabled 'target market' all to itself. There are hordes of casual console gamers that are obviously sneered at by the PC 1337 d00dz that need to spend $2k on a GPU but doesn't make them less important overall. Dev's will fold without them.

Pre-orders sound good but not big deal. Many have been burnt on the game hypewagon where the end product is less than stellar.
At this point, it is all null and void since you can't buy it as direct download from Sony now. See if they fix it to something worthy but to already have Sony take out the biggest title of the year and shoot it in the back fo the head isn't a great vote for confidence.

That goes without saying. If you should make it then you should make it reasonable and not a rolling bug fest - downscale whatever is needed but atleast make it playable and not having heads being clipped off and falling into unseen chasms etc. Is that too much to ask? FFS.
It must have been seen a good enough to release but it wasn't, so they played the consumers for suckers. Fuck those guys since they deserve it.

This is your 'target market' show. All I need to know that after these fat budgets seeded with pre order $$$ and years of dev time that we apparently have to cut these guys some slack with loads of excuses for producing digital horseshit. It wasn't our fault that the PS4 is a PS4, right.
The only conclusion can be that it was a $$$ grab if they are making software for a console that apparently they don't have anyone on it that will play thier game anyhow.

No, that is not it at all. If it worked well then we wouldn't be here shooting the shit about this now.

The point being that they made a plie of crap and must have at some point known that they were shipping rubbish. They must have seen something there with the PS4/XB1 or they would not have bothered. I gather the XB1 is not a target market either since it the wrong gen and the next gen consoles are too few and far between to help with the bottom line.

Sigh, presently the largest console install base in the entire market. Why would that not contribute to the bottom line.
Isn't their $109 as good as the PC's guys $109? If they actually made something worthy then that 1/2 billion easily could be a lot more

You can only change day zero pricing at the start. Price per copy plunges over time making it more attractive to buy. Sure, they all make improvments and you would not expect to have guns clipping through heads after a year of GA release time at the most.
Get bargain 'Platinum' status or in a online store bargain bin price. Nothing to see here.

No, Fallout 76 has been another buggy mess from the start. Sure, you have expect some but there is a limit.

No, I have no need to defend. Just stating the obvious. I owe Sony nor anything else game related nothing. My PS4 was free too.

I'm like most others hear stating the elephant in the room is that a buggy rubbish product made it as a GA release and for reasons only known to you that the PS4 and 'target market' faff are in turn the real culprits to blame is a monumentally stupid way to justify it. I'll give you a plus for entertainment value though and I'm sure someone out there will believe it. Nothing to do with them releasing a shit product that would still be beta at best bugger all, if any Q&A, but hey, it isn't our fault...............don't blame us,...... it is you guys................lol.........geeeeezzzz......

If they couldn't do it then do not make it for the PS4. Don't release it. Pretty simple, right. Instead they saw $$$ and apparently, as a big surprise to everyone, including you, made it for a target market clearly doesn't exist and still went GA. Step right up to believe that one. It must take a lot of courage to believe your own story and all the power to you.

CD Projekt Red said they couldn't hear you say that while you were giving them complimentary shill blowjobs :D
Sorry you lost me at "I have a ps4".

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
No matter, you have been lost from the start. I also have a PC so now what to make of that.
All done here. Thanks for playing.
Not really. But thinking of playing CP2077 on an 8 year old console when you also have a PC, tells me all i need to know about the pc too. Thats what i make of that. Thanks for playing indeed lol. Ignore function activated :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Not really. But thinking of playing CP2077 on an 8 year old console when you also have a PC, tells me all i need to know about the pc too. Thats what i make of that. Thanks for playing indeed lol. Ignore function activated :)
It does not matter what you make of anything since most if wrong from start. Glad this is end of my road.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Haven't read through the last few pages but, they should never have let it be sold for the PS4/ XB1 consoles if this was the product. TBH, Microsoft and Sony should have controlled that - they would have been happy with a game that was just playable but consumers could get so much more if they bought the new consoles etc - but this falls far short of that.

The "generation" argument will soon be largely gone too. I dont know for Sony, but Xbox is just a hardware range tied to games as a service now - you get the best one you can afford at the time and that gives you a certain level of performance before you upgrade to the next one - much like PCs.