The gaming thread

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I havent played Fallout New Vegas, So i will get that instead of cyberpunk

that is if I can tear myself away from Geralt, mmmmmmm
The rendering and layout of the main city in the Witcher 3 was excellent, IMO. Actually kind of enjoyable having Geralt running from place to place in the city rather than just fast travelling. The streets and buildings were distinctive enough such that I could navigate without the minimap. Immersion FTW.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah in hindsight trying to retrofit a game with such behemoth resource requirements to platforms that are 7-8 years old might have been a stretch too far. Issues on PS5 / PC seem to be 1/10th the crap being experienced by PS4 users. They'll turn it round though.

So worth it though. MAXIMUM ARMOUR. One of my mates was so desperate to play Crysis as intended he spent actual money on a water cooled system.

View attachment 370645
What the hell is that second game?

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah in hindsight trying to retrofit a game with such behemoth resource requirements to platforms that are 7-8 years old might have been a stretch too far. Issues on PS5 / PC seem to be 1/10th the crap being experienced by PS4 users. They'll turn it round though.
Thing is, RDR2 and GTA5 run awesomely on xbone and PS4. They could have optimised CP2077 to run half decently on those systems and it’s bullshit to say they couldn’t.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Strong agree. Out of all the gamers on here, I think 1/2 have new-gen consoles.
So their target market should have been the current-gen consoles/ PC.
Exactly. They were developing it before series X/S and PS5 were even advertised so the PS4 and xbone should have been target market.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Exactly. They were developing it before series X/S and PS5 were even advertised so the PS4 and xbone should have been target market.
Lol um, no. Why would you spend over 5 years developing for old consoles as your target, when you know what's on the horizon? People don't buy old consoles to play new games

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I havent played Fallout New Vegas, So i will get that instead of cyberpunk

that is if I can tear myself away from Geralt, mmmmmmm
F:NV is an amazing game but vanilla shows its age. Get some high res textures, weather mods and weapon models to take the edge off. I played it this time last year and it was great.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol um, no. Why would you spend over 5 years developing for old consoles as your target, when you know what's on the horizon? People don't buy old consoles to play new games
The game has been under development before the new consoles were even hinted at. Not only that but they’d be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn’t develop it for current gen consoles as there are millions still being used and will continue to be used for a few years yet. Not everyone who has a current gen console will upgrade to next gen straight away.
RDR2 and GTA5 run excellently on current gen. No reason CP2077 shouldn’t.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The game has been under development before the new consoles were even hinted at. Not only that but they’d be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn’t develop it for current gen consoles as there are millions still being used and will continue to be used for a few years yet.
Have to agree. There are around 150 million PS4's and XB1's out there now. You can't make your investment back without capitalising on that install base. https://www.vgchartz.com/article/442352/switch-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-global-lifetime-salesjanuary-2020/ The PS4 sure killed it in that generation.

Either of the PS4 and XB1 aren't sloppy hardware either despite the next gen hoohaa. They should be able to squeeze quite a bit out of these platforms but if software ships with that many bugs then you can bet bugger all optimisation was done.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The game has been under development before the new consoles were even hinted at. Not only that but they’d be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn’t develop it for current gen consoles as there are millions still being used and will continue to be used for a few years yet. Not everyone who has a current gen console will upgrade to next gen straight away.
RDR2 and GTA5 run excellently on current gen. No reason CP2077 shouldn’t.
Hinted to the public. Developers have years lead time on architecture and a view to intended specs well in advance. Why do you think the game released simultaneously on all platforms? Upgrading assets isn t a flick of a button, they've been developing for all platforms simultaneously.

While you're correct that most won't up grade immediately most of those People also know that they'll be trying to play a new gen game on sub par hardware. I'd say most people who are serious about their gaming would not have tried and will wait to play it on next gen. Or buy a PC. (Ahem pc master race).

GTA5 is about 5 years old now. I'm not surprised it works perfectly on the last gen console it was made for. RdR2 also old and developed for the last gen architecture. Bad examples.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Have to agree. There are around 150 million PS4's and XB1's out there now. You can't make your investment back without capitalising on that install base. https://www.vgchartz.com/article/442352/switch-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-global-lifetime-salesjanuary-2020/ The PS4 sure killed it in that generation.

Either of the PS4 and XB1 aren't sloppy hardware either despite the next gen hoohaa. They should be able to squeeze quite a bit out of these platforms but if software ships with that many bugs then you can bet bugger all optimisation was done.

It wasn't sloppy hardware 8 years ago. It's old, it's mostly obsolete, and the driver for newer better hardware. Trying to squeeze anything out of it is a false economy.

150M consoles out there of which probably half haven't been switched on in many years. Then there would be many owned by children who'd never even have an opportunity to be exposed to CB2077, then a whole bunch own3d by adults who don't even like RPGs etc. The lifetime sales numbers of old tech isnt an indicator of future sales of next gen games nor where sales figures are predicted from or planned for. That's naive to even considder.

The game is poorly optimised for ps4. Not surprising. Why put the effort in when it's not the target market?

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It wasn't sloppy hardware 8 years ago. It's old, it's mostly obsolete, and the driver for newer better hardware. Trying to squeeze anything out of it is a false economy.

150M consoles out there of which probably half haven't been switched on in man years. The lifetime sales numbers of old tech isnt an indicator of future sales of next gen games nor where sales figures are predicted from or planned for. That's naive to even considder.

The game is poorly optimised for ps4. Not surprising. Why put the effort in when it's not the target market?
The PS4 is clearly a target market since they tried to release Cyberpunk 2077 for it but has been pulled by Sony because it was buggy utter rubbish. That is a different scenario and not like they ignored it totally or they wouldn't have done it in the first place. They tried and messed up royally.

No one will develop a game since 2012 for target market of a next gex consoles that will have about 6M all up out in the wild when they launch.
From that, they will need also subset of owners that want to buy my game which might be 3M all up.

They better hope that they can make some $$$ out the PC market since the next gen console market is not going to do it now. Call it a courageous and ambitious business model which must have a very fat margin even if they delivered software without the undocumented 'features'.

The PS4's haven't suddenly been switched off and binned in droves yet - the PS5 only was released last month. It also has a huge back catalogue to explore and will be alive for some time yet. Even if you conservatively estimate that 80M are still powered on regularly then you still are ignoring 30 times or more of the present install base which is commercially stupid.

PS4 and PS5 are similar both use x86 architecture, AMD hardware and both use a variant of FreeBSD. Should not make any backport impossible.
Sure they will lose a load of graphic and gameplay detail which will be big hit and no doubt a factor of why it is so rubbish now but still should not be in the sorry alpha release 'compile with no errors and ship' state that it is presently in.