The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Not been able to find any details about this at all. Having seen a fair bit f late night goings on in the past, it's highly variable what is considered inappropriate versus welcomed etc.

More concerned with his activities re the marble coffee table and his dodgy CV (This one the most)

Given the other 2, I suspect this latest is just the final straw, and not the reason for the sacking ( though who knows, once some info comes out)

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
There's a strong showing for the Libs in the poll here. Why? is anyone still convinced that they're not a pack of inept Greg H*nts?

Maybe its an old poll. I like minority governments - shit gets done.

Since there's an election coming up and the fearmongering is about to explode all over our medias, I'll point you all at this - an interesting source of ideas:

https://www.facebook.com/green.modernmoneytheoryandpractice/

http://neweconomicperspectives.org/2013/03/what-is-modern-monetary-theory-or-mmt.html

Enjoy the upcoming bullshit storm :)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't think you will see anywhere near as much fearmongering as you would have if Tony was still in. No politician is perfect - or even in the same grid square as perfect - but then none of us are. With that in mind I have a better gut feeling about Turnbull than I have for any PM for quite a while.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
No politician is perfect - or even in the same grid square as perfect - but then none of us are. With that in mind I have a better gut feeling about Turnbull than I have for any PM for quite a while.
I'd settle for reasonably honest, and actually working toward things that are good for normal Australians rather than keeping themselves re-elected at any cost (to someone else, of course).

Bear in mind Turnbull consciously wrecked probably the best infrastructure project proposed for AU in my lifetime (ye NBN. Problematic, but isn't anything involving more than one person. Hell.. I sometimes can't even decide which hand to use!).

He can string two words together, but I don't believe either of them. I'd like to see the major parties hung out to dry. Whoever gets in has to form a minority government.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'd settle for reasonably honest, and actually working toward things that are good for normal Australians rather than keeping themselves re-elected at any cost.
That's likely to the problem regardless of who is in. Of course the degree of the problem will ebb and flow depending on the people and party but it's likely to always be there.

I often wonder if we should move to 4 year terms. I don't really know the arguments for and against but it seems an interesting question.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I often wonder if we should move to 4 year terms. I don't really know the arguments for and against but it seems an interesting question.
Maybe... Also the end of instant pensions for life, office allowances and travel allowances after the person quits. Just standard super like everyone else - hell, you get enough while you're in the big house. That should filter things a little.

'nuff for now. back to study... need more beer to talk politics.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Instead of taking their pensions away, I'd rather they keep their Parliamentary pension for life, but you must sell all investments and assets on election, and take no other job after retirement. They can keep their savings in a fund that is indexed to the standard of living index or equivalent.

I want them making decisions based on what's good for the country, rather what's good for them or their puppet masters.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Instead of taking their pensions away, I'd rather they keep their Parliamentary pension for life, but you must sell all investments and assets on election, and take no other job after retirement. They can keep their savings in a fund that is indexed to the standard of living index or equivalent.

I want them making decisions based on what's good for the country, rather what's good for them or their puppet masters.
Is there an assets test for this like every other hard working Australian, if not they shouldn't get anything in my opinion.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The election thread - for the conferring of knighthoods and gazing of navels.

Is there an assets test for this like every other hard working Australian, if not they shouldn't get anything in my opinion.

Either you've missed the point, or I've missed yours

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Based on what we've seen in the last few months - especially after seeing Scott Morrison on Insiders today - I couldn't be any less motivated by either of the big two. My enthusiasm for turnbull has been destroyed by his same old same old approach to politics that I thought he was going to change.

Sad.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Based on what we've seen in the last few months - especially after seeing Scott Morrison on Insiders today - I couldn't be any less motivated by either of the big two. My enthusiasm for turnbull has been destroyed by his same old same old approach to politics that I thought he was going to change.

Sad.
I hear you, I've traditionally voted Liberal however I cannot stomach their bullshit anymore. Turnbull was my last glimmer of hope but has been nothing but a massive disappointment. So for me there are three options, 1. vote Liberal so they are in charge when the economy goes arse up (they deserve to have the wreck on their watch), 2. draw a dick on my ballot paper, 3. vote Labor due to their tax changes and royal commission into the banking sector. I'm leaning towards option 3.

Minlak

custom titis
The election will be a debacle anyway due to the new voting rules. I predict a record high informal vote count.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
A mate of mine done some of the local electorate vote counts in QLD and he said about 30% of the informal votes were Donald Trump, Micky Mouse, explicit words and dicks. I hope our economy doesn't nose dive, five companies have gone into voluntary receivership this financial year that have owed me money for contract work.

Last edited: