The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Get a food container, like a Chinese take away for example.

Drop your eggs in. Pierce them a few times.r

Add a little bit of water. Not heaps...this isn't the stove top.

Drop or two of vinegar.

Lid on, but not completely sealed.

Microwave power down to 60-70%. This is important! You don't want an eggplosion! It'll fuck your day up.

Cook for about 2-3 minutes, depends on power of microwave and level of doneness you desire.

Scrambled is easier and you can make an "omelette" of sorts easily as well if you want a little veggies.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
How does one properly poach eggs in a microwave? I'm oldschool and distrust all things beepy boopy, don't get me started on creepy robovacs that don't have Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics in place.

I recently succumbed to a KMart microwave so i could bulk cook for the week and portion it off into meal prep containers so as not be chained to the kitchen nightly whilst fielding calls from idiot dog owners who's precious labrawhatsitoodle reeeeeealy needs a four-hour that they want to pay for one hour groom because they don't bother to brush their overpriced mutt. Don't even get me started on every random ringing me for their have to book in the week before Christmas groom when i haven't seen their dog in 12 months ffs.

I just want easy poached eggs for breakfast so I'm not hangry dealing with this shit.
Some things are best done properly. It doesn't take long to poach an egg.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Onsen Tamago! I do love me a 60° egg but I've rarely got the foresight to put them on 45 minutes before I'm hungry.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Just search the back of your cupboard and see if you have one of these hanging about. Use mine almost daily for easy perfect poached eggs. New ones don't seem to be as good to be honest
1670819574340.png

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Just search the back of your cupboard and see if you have one of these hanging about. Use mine almost daily for easy perfect poached eggs. New ones don't seem to be as good to be honest
View attachment 395236
So all these perfect poached eggs that people eat in cafes and ogle over - pan of water, some acid (white wine, vinegar or lemon juice), a slotted spoon and a tea towel. These last two things you don't even actually need. That's it. Its not some sort of secret magic trick.

...or is this like a bike nerd thing where we just cant help ourselves looking for that next big secret to eeking out performance from something as simple as a shifter cable or a spoke nipple?

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What is it? Never seen one before....
A Sunbeam on off based on the labels. A poached egg is fucking easy. Pot of boiling water. Eggs. Done. No need for vinegar or citrus unless you want a perfect white. Tastes better without. Lightly killed then consumed.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
You could full Jamie Oliver for your poached eggs. Crack an egg into some cling wrap, wrap up a like a Christmas pud and drop in boiling water :oops:

Chef I worked with years ago showed me his trick, get a little vortex going, drop egg in gently and let it spin and cook.