Speeding is bad, mmkay?

floody

Wheel size expert
Didn't get enough demerit points to lose it, simple.

That person sounds like a terrible driver. If I knew him I'd beat him up for ya.

Right, so my inattentiveness to my speed is reflective of my entire driving attitude? The limit jumps down because that area gets a bit busier during the day with a line of shops parallel to the highway. The shops are behind a wall and concrete barrier, and a car park, so they're a fair way out of danger, BUT, it's still a 60 zone, fair enough, I get that. So my doing 80km/h late at night with nobody on that entire stretch of road driving, walking, cycling and not a soul in the whole shopping complex, really isn't putting anyone at risk besides myself. I'm not advocating speeding when it 'feels' safe, but sometimes doing what was perfectly legal 100m before might not kill anyone and just maybe, isn't worth 6 demerit points.

Like I've said, I too copped my fine sweet because it was fully due to my inattention. You know, we're not so different, you and I....
When I say how, I am asking how we give probationary drivers such extreme leeway. 3 points would be generous, 12 is ridiculous and clearly neither infringement scared the shit out of you to follow the rules or the latest one wouldn't likely have come up. As to attitude well, yes, those infringements and your self justification here do speak volumes of your driving attitude.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
When I say how, I am asking how we give probationary drivers such extreme leeway. 3 points would be generous, 12 is ridiculous and clearly neither infringement scared the shit out of you to follow the rules or the latest one wouldn't likely have come up. As to attitude well, yes, those infringements and your self justification here do speak volumes of your driving attitude.
What probationary license has 12 points? Red - 4, Green - 7, Black - 13. Lost 6 on greens for the rego thing, honestly don't think I deserved that many points for something that was out of my control. Maybe the owner of the car could have known and told me the car was out of rego, that would have been nice. Not displaying plates, like I've said, honestly I really did put fresh ones on that morning as it wasn't my car. I drove to the city and back to pick them up from the airport and they must have come off, always had problems with magnetic plates. The ones on my car were duct taped on and didn't have issues with it. 6 point I don't think I deserved BUT I still took them and didn't dispute anything, paid the fines. Good attitude I think.

6 points for no seatbelt, bullshit. Justify a bigger fine and the same amount of points for speeding 20 over the limit to me, please. My own danger, my choice, nobody else is at harm. It was stupid, but the distance I moved my car was too short for it to even get over the limit in that area. Again, I didn't think, I had to move my car a short distance while I was being ushered out of a closing car park and just jumped in and moved that. If somebody got hurt by my lack of a seat belt, I'd understand. Admittedly I cheated the system and got my full license while my demerits were in limbo, but there were no rules against that and I didn't break any law. Morals, sure. Law, no. Kinda like the revenue made out of fines.

The speeding, my attitude has been (I've said multiple times in here) I've accepted that and I'm not trying to fight anything about it. I'm not sure that I've been self justifying my driving errors, maybe trying to explain why I don't think the penalties were not just. I've said it many times, I'll say it again. I'm not defending/promoting/condoning speeding. Judging my attitude on infringements like the last two I think is pretty poor. Is every driver in America a bad driver for not wearing a seatbelt, they don't even have a p plate system, there's 12 of my demerits gone! I knoooow that it's the law here but my point is that those infringements a bad driver do not make. (Any comments like 'well we're not there so' will just get ignored). I've never had a passenger tell me they don't like my driving, I've never caused any hazard on the road and I've never been caught out by anything and found myself in a dangerous situation because of my terrible driving attitude.

Oh, and ignoring the 'not so different you and I', come on.

TLDR: Why I'm right all the time.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
It is simply not an issue of whether seatbelt, rego sticker and speed limit regulations are 'just'. The reality is following the law is so easy and causes so little inconvenience that the arbitrary nature of some regulations is largely irrelevant.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is simply not an issue of whether seatbelt, rego sticker and speed limit regulations are 'just'. The reality is following the law is so easy and causes so little inconvenience that the arbitrary nature of some regulations is largely irrelevant.
But you cant say that always applies. Following the arbitrary limit from Longreach to Birdsville of 100 means adding about an hour plus you'll go to sleep for sure from sheer boredom.

floody

Wheel size expert
Oh ok, well we should all just bend the rules a little where we think it's safe to, everyone has great judgement and that won't lead to any problems.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Oh ok, well we should all just bend the rules a little where we think it's safe to, everyone has great judgement and that won't lead to any problems.
That is the nub of the issue (and 27 pages of thread).

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or we can all sit 1 k under the speed limit watching the speedo and ignore things like road conditions and that wont lead to any problems

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Or we can all sit 1 k under the speed limit watching the speedo and ignore things like road conditions and that wont lead to any problems
Unlike the tools hurtling along at 130, watching the speedo, then slam on the anchors to slow to 70 100m out from a fixed speed camera?

If you cannot maintain a constant velocity with the occasional glance at the gauges to account for grade or surface changes, as floods suggested, cut up your worthless licence.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If you cannot maintain a constant velocity with the occasional glance at the gauges to account for grade or surface changes, as floods suggested, cut up your worthless licence.
I find that hard to do in many 50k zones that are wide open straight roads.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You should have added, "if you haven't done anything wrong, you shouldn't have anything to fear"

Doesn't anyone read political history or Orwellian books anymore?

The innate trust of authority in Australia is sometimes quite staggering

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should have added, "if you haven't done anything wrong, you shouldn't have anything to fear"

The way everyone here just follows the party line is incredible. In the UK they "necklace" the speed cameras..

hazza6542

Eats Squid

Well, if I get pulled over for speeding and don't give the cop jurisdiction over me by entering any controversy with him, well yeah I don't have anything to fear because there is no charge. That's a hard one you've really got to research into and unless you know exactly what you're doing you can get doodled by the law pretty hard.

Not an issue of whether something is just? Holy cow. Everyone just kneel and do what you're told because it's easy. Go back to bed Australia, your Government has figured it out.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cruise control anyone?

Back to horns. There was 3 lanes of traffic waiting at a red light, I was at the front of the middle lane. A cyclist rides through the red light (LTIH). I beep him. He turns around with an aggressive look, ready to abuse someone, but can't figure out who it was, so he looks kind of embarrassed and sheepish as there's at least 3 car loads of people laughing their arses off at him (LTIL).

stirk

Burner
Saw a roadie getting torn a new one by a cop who bailed him up for casually riding through a red. He got a stern talking to but no fine so was lucky.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Never run a red and not a fan of running orange lights. Long story, orange light both ways on highway, guy assumes brother is going to stop so turns across highway and hit each other. Never know what the other guy is going to do.

LITH on the road, I know everyone does it and I should be prepared for it but the last second decision to change lanes with one quick flash of an indicator then forcing their way in.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Never run a red and not a fan of running orange lights. Long story, orange light both ways on highway, guy assumes brother is going to stop so turns across highway and hit each other. Never know what the other guy is going to do.

LITH on the road, I know everyone does it and I should be prepared for it but the last second decision to change lanes with one quick flash of an indicator then forcing their way in.
didn't you know that indicating gives you right of way? crikey mate, thats beemer driving 101! :heh:

floody

Wheel size expert

That analogy is far from pertinent. The roads are a bloody dangerous place, where people less qualified than forklift operators hurtle about in 2 ton metal boxes at 50 to 110kmh+ with no more protection than some painted lines and colorful lights. While we can debate the effectiveness or overly cautious nature of some limits, they are there for a reason and that reason is that some kind of regulatory framework is a necessity to instil even an echo of order in such a chaotic environment.

There's no functional laissez faire model for road rules like speed limits and the arguments for such are just as laughable as those advocated for anarchic Libertarianism. Autobahns? Still regulated in other ways, the infrastructure is of a far higher standard and there is a greater burden of driver training and vehicle standards applies there too. The Northern Territory? The area de-restricted in 2013 saw so few fatalities (and the NT government ruled those that did occur, while it was unrestricted before 2007 were *not* due to speed) so it proves little.