Speeding is bad, mmkay?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Hang on there, people blatantly speeding way over the limit are the ones saying fuck you to everyone around them. They have no regard for anyone but themselves.

The street I live on is a racer favorite, idiots fly down the hill wheels screeching, one ended up in the bottom of the gully a couple of months back, brought a smile to my dial.
i don't get it
I thought we were talking about those fucking tools that drive side by side on a highway/ freeway (speed limit above 60/70 kmh)
Trying to play their little power game by being all self righteous making sure the cars behind follow the speed limit
Or just sitting out in the right lane generally giving everyone the shits
That's what I'm talking about and what it seemed you were as well
It is infuriatingly frequent in the mountains and you sound like you are one of them

If someone is going 'way over the limit' would you really pull out in front of them to prove your infantile point?
If someone is pushing 100 -110 in a 90 zone, in a late model car with good car handling skills
You really take it upon yourself to block them because you feel it is your duty as a citizen?

We've all come across the dick head who sits up your clacker because he's so important and in such a hurry
And yes, because of that we may take a little longer to turn or get out of the lane
But that is a lot different to just being a gutless little turd and sitting in the safety of your car giving others the shits because it makes you feel better about yourself

You've stated so many different things about what you really mean
I don't think even you have any idea which category you fit in

And as far as living on a favorite racers street
Why don't you stand in from of them with a sign 'slow down on my street'

binner

Hath shat hymself
me too

I think helmets save lives
Smoking should be banned

There you go this will be good for another 20 pages of drivel
forget the car drivers,smokers, helmets what about those enduro guys that come screaming past you on a trail, I make a point of staying on trail just to hear them yell abuse. It is my way of getting that hit I need to make me "giddyyup" on the trail :behindsofa:

carry on......

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I appealed a speeding ticket once because I accelerated to avoid a collision, right near a speed camera. I rang to enquire about some details of the process, the lady on the phone told me what I had to do then said "and when they reject your submission....", not IF they reject it, WHEN they reject it. She actually stumbled and hesitated after she said it and tried to backtrack, but it spoke volumes.

Surprisingly, my submission was rejected, I know, shock! The very well written letter said that if they made an exception in my case it would be contrary to the intent of the speed enforcement program. !!!! So the intention of speed enforcement is not to prevent accidents. Thanks for clarifying!

redbruce

Eats Squid
I appealed a speeding ticket once because I accelerated to avoid a collision, right near a speed camera. I rang to enquire about some details of the process, the lady on the phone told me what I had to do then said "and when they reject your submission....", not IF they reject it, WHEN they reject it. She actually stumbled and hesitated after she said it and tried to backtrack, but it spoke volumes.

Surprisingly, my submission was rejected, I know, shock! The very well written letter said that if they made an exception in my case it would be contrary to the intent of the speed enforcement program. !!!! So the intention of speed enforcement is not to prevent accidents. Thanks for clarifying!
I know at least a dozen people who have got of via this process in the last few years, including someone on this forum. One of them a (motorbike) riding mate who argued he went through a red light because he figured the guy behind couldn't stop if he did (and indeed supported by the camera showing the car behind did run the light also).

Speeding up to avoid a collision is likely to be hard to prove. You must have been unlucky or too far outside the guidelines.

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I completely admit mine was a "grey area" call. But things that were said confirmed that the "compliance" approach is real.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The thing with the whole speed kills campaign, is that is is technically true. You can't deny that the faster you go, the more likely a fatality is going to be should you fuck up and crash, it's just plain common sense.

Yes, driving along a straight empty road at 110 is perfectly safe provided you don't stack, so is doing 130, so is doing 150. Problem is, where do you draw the line? Well the powers that be have drawn that line for us for better or worse, and that's the speed the majority of traffic will be doing. If someone (look I'll even stop using names here because some of you are clearly this someone) decides to go faster, they're suddenly introducing a speed differential, and the bigger the differential, the bigger the chance of a stack. Add to this the common sense stated above, and your adding extra risk to what is already a risky situation in simply driving.

What right does an individual have to add extra risk to this situation? What makes a person so special that suddenly the rules don't apply to them? If we all had this attitude it would be a free for all out there and I'd guarantee the road toll would go up. Cops speed when on route to an incident, but they have extra training, piles of studying and much, much more responsibility should something go wrong.

I'm done arguing about all of this, doesn't feel like fun anyone when half the forum is having pot shots at you. But I'll leave you with this - what exactly is a 'safe' amount of speeding? I wasn't always a Dudley do right, I spent a year off the road (in which time I saw the light and started mtb) and when I got around to asking this, I found I couldn't answer it. If 5 is ok, then 6 should be fine, then 7, then blah blah etc. In the end I figured I'd just try not speeding on for size and funnily enough I haven't contributed to the police 'revenue raising' in 10 years...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
They had a free-for-all in the NT & injuries dropped.

We should always reevaluate things...the current limits on the freeway are too low now but probably appropriate when they were set a while ago.

The speed the majority travel at is likely to be closer to the appropriate speed for that area, that's pretty much how it works.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Doesn't mean we get to make the choice, not our call to make. And isn't it a free for all out in the middle of nowhere? Pretty sure limits still apply in suburbia.

Also, aren't reformed smokers and speeders just the biggest assholes :p

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
What right does an individual have to add extra risk to this situation? What makes a person so special that suddenly the rules don't apply to them?
I think you just summed up what everyone else is trying to tell you!

I'm done arguing about all of this, doesn't feel like fun anyone when half the forum is having pot shots at you....
Perhaps the sheer volume of people disagreeing with what you do should speak for itself.

I'm gonna send you a copy of the road rules matey.... Just so you can keep one in the car and point this out to the next person you target with this slow down tactic. Hopefully it's an unmarked cop car ;)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Plank, I don't know that people who speed think different rules apply to them - they usually suck it up when booked, pay the fine, and modify their behaviour ( usually).

But when it comes to increasing risk - you note the point of "speed differential" - well it also goes that people driving slower than the traffic likewise increase risk for themselves and other road users, yet no one seems to be canning me ( I mean them not me)for driving 20kmh less than the traffic.

As to all this, I believe that most people drive too slowly because of 2 things - they are scared of being caught, and some because they believe it to be safer.

I speed, I speed in a manageable manner - I have to because my car has just come up to 65,000km in 19months ( excluding the wife's car that I often drive)- and I drive on some of the most policed highways in the country. I have shit to do and saving 19 or 20 minutes each day by small amounts of speeding ads up to a shitload of riding I can do instead of sitting behind the wheel watching the brake lights in front.

Last speeding ticket was around 6 years and 250,000km ago.

People are welcome to think that driving slowly makes no difference to their travel times, they can live in that cocoon, but I don't bother other people, and I think it's fair that others don't bother me with their idea of morality

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I think you just summed up what everyone else is trying to tell you!

Perhaps the sheer volume of people disagreeing with what you do should speak for itself.

I'm gonna send you a copy of the road rules matey.... Just so you can keep one in the car and point this out to the next person you target with this slow down tactic. Hopefully it's an unmarked cop car ;)
read previous posts:
no laws broken.
not something I do often or unsafely.
think what you like...

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
If I'm being boy racer and someone's sitting in my right lane, doing the speed limit no less, I'll wait. I've seen people honk and flash, reserve that for the real reason you've got a horn and hi beams. Just sit back and eventually they'll jump out of your way, sitting up their arse never works. Looking ahead is something people don't do enough either. Sitting as a passenger in the mrs car, I can see in 100m car A will pull out and so will car B, she doesn't think about that stuff because her lane is empty then so why would that change? Scares the hell out of me, doesn't stop until number plates are touching at red lights either.

Learners in the right lane on a three lane highway though, what reason did your instructor have to tell you to get in the right lane?!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
read previous posts :yawn:

(unless i'm misinterpreting something here? does overtaking have to be done quickly? provided i'm moving past someone, i assume this is considered overtaking? if not, apologies, point out a solid reference for the way i have to overtake someone and thats what i'll do)

As johnny pointed out, i've spent a lot of time defending myself, i think i've gone over it enough, i'm done arguing. it seems like most of you have your assumptions about the way i do things, so be it, cant be stuffed explaining it again and again.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
read previous posts :yawn:

(unless i'm misinterpreting something here? does overtaking have to be done quickly? provided i'm moving past someone, i assume this is considered overtaking? if not, apologies, point out a solid reference for the way i have to overtake someone and thats what i'll do)

As johnny pointed out, i've spent a lot of time defending myself, i think i've gone over it enough, i'm done arguing. it seems like most of you have your assumptions about the way i do things, so be it, cant be stuffed explaining it again and again.

You've explained yourself perfectly, it's just most people (and the road rules) don't agree with you. It doesn't really matter how you spin it.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
But when it comes to increasing risk - you note the point of "speed differential" - well it also goes that people driving slower than the traffic likewise increase risk for themselves and other road users, yet no one seems to be canning me for driving 20kmh less than the traffic.
speed differential is a factor, but a reduced issue the slower you get. coupled with the fact that its extremely difficult to police (i mean how does a camera know a person isn't accelerating or decelerating?), i think thats why you'll find it doesn't get policed. but i would suggest that if you're driving around at 20 under the limit everywhere, that maybe you need to rethink your need to be on the road? no, i dont think its that much safer than going 20 over, but it is undeniably safer (same speed differential with less speed to cause injury).

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
speed differential is a factor, but a reduced issue the slower you get. coupled with the fact that its extremely difficult to police (i mean how does a camera know a person isn't accelerating or decelerating?), i think thats why you'll find it doesn't get policed. but i would suggest that if you're driving around at 20 under the limit everywhere, that maybe you need to rethink your need to be on the road? no, i dont think its that much safer than going 20 over, but it is undeniably safer (same speed differential with less speed to cause injury).
Just BTW, that was an iPhone changing "them" to "me" so no, I don't drive 20 under and fully agree that people should seriously consider their driving license driving so slowly - particularly on a freeway .

While it may be relatively safer if you are hitting a tree to be going slower, it's not necessarily safer overall going slower than faster. The reason isn't physics, it's traffic interactions. The guy going much faster is looking ahead and is expecting more interactions and interactions with traffic going at 20kmh slower than him. This is the opposite of the slow driver - for the average driver at average speed, they are not expecting interactions 20kmh slower than them ( or indeed 30kmh+ ) by sedans on flat stretches of road - hence they are more likely to be surprised, act wrongly etc.

Anyone who drives a lot in NSWwill be well aware of the sort of disruption to traffic flow that learners at 70kmh have caused on freeways ( a law now finally changed)- brake lights , swerving etc . About the most dangerous law I think I've ever seen in action.

So it's not undeniably safer because it's a complicated environment that's effected by behaviour and expectations. Once an accident happens it may be the case, but the number of accidents is also crucial to the overall effect

Last edited: