Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The reason I'm going for the Spanks as it's just the faceplate that's red - I'm all about small splashes of colour here and there, rather than blocks of it, like a whole stem.

Told myself I wasn't going to get hooked up on aesthetics for this build. Fail...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
My old XT 10sp shifter is starting to die.

Sometimes when I go to shift up a gear, particularly as I'm going from mid gear up, there's nothing there. I have to press the lever a couple of times for it to click - or it only clicks once when it should be clicking twice and double shifting.

Considering going to 11sp, Shimano M8000 (as long as the mount fits with my M8100 brakes, not sure yet), but finding a shifter in stock is proving difficult.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Let me know if you're after an Ispec 2 shifter, pretty sure I have a spare in 11 speed.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Optimal gear display, yay! Are those things removable? Never had to deal with them before.

Fuck me, cassettes are expensive these days.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
First thing to rip off whenever I've bought a shifter, on the XT ones anyway
Ah, it's bar clamp anyway. Looking for the I-spec version, for now.

You can remove those displays without needing a new coverplate or something similar?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ah, it's bar clamp anyway. Looking for the I-spec version, for now.

You can remove those displays without needing a new coverplate or something similar?
Given your luck with this build you'll be the first person to ever buy a new shifter that comes without either the cover plate or the shift indicator...

Are you just looking to replace the shifter, or really looking to move to 11 or 12 speed?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Given your luck with this build you'll be the first person to ever buy a new shifter that comes without either the cover plate or the shift indicator...

Are you just looking to replace the shifter, or really looking to move to 11 or 12 speed?
Given that going to 11sp will likely cost around $350+, I might just replace the old shifter and stick with 10sp a while longer.

moorey

call me Mia
eBike rider, it’s implied.

[EDIT] Okay, well probably not miss Q.
I meant the weight of the E-components, but ok.
Long story short, @johnny, I love shimano 11sp. Bombproof and reliable, and I don’t need more range than 42t, but you’ll soon struggle to find parts. I’m sticking with it until I no longer can.