Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
2005? What model derailleer?
XT Shadow+

I used the deraileur off the bike I took to China with me, and it's one of the older clutch XT models. I left for China near the end of 2006, so maybe it was 2006, can't recall.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If you had $700-800 to spend on this build, what would you upgrade?

FRAME: Pyga Hyrax large
FORK: Lyric Ultimate
REAR SHOCK: RS Deluxe RT3
RIMS: DT Swiss Front-XM481, Rear-EX511
HUBS: Hope Pro4 boost
SPOKES: DT Swiss Comp
NIPPLES: DT Swiss
VALVES: DERT Tubeless
AXLE: Maxle Ultimate
TYRES: Front-Maxxis Minion DHF, Rear-Maxxis Ardent
HANDLE BAR: Renthal Fatbar Lite - 35mm diameter, 45mm rise
STEM: Spank split 35mm
SPACERS: FSA
GRIPS: ODI Rogues
SEATPOST: PNW Loam dropper
SEAPOST LEAVER: PNW Loam
SEATPOST CLAMP: Wolftooth
SADDLE: Joystick Binary (has a fuckin skull on it, bro!)
PEDALS: HT Industries Supreme
CRANKS: Shimano XT
CHAINRING: Wolftooth StopDrop 36 tooth
BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano threaded
BRAKES: Front -Shimano BR-M8120, Rear-Shimano BR-m8100 (due to availability...)
ROTORS: Shimano XT - Front-203, Rear-180
DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT Shadow 10spd
SHIFTER POD: Shimano Saint
CASSETTE: Shimano XT

Initially, I'd like to get a Cane Creek Double Barrel Kitsuma Air rear shock. But they've gone up to over $1k in some places - lucky to find them under $900.

I'd consider upgrading the drive train, but I've just purchased a new 10spd Saint shifter and I'm not sure that upgrading the XT cranks (which are 8 years old) would yield much real value.

I'm not sure where else I'd spend the money. What would you upgrade?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The bars and then the shock. Renthal 35mm bars are too stiff and the RS Deluxe is pants compared to a DVO or Cane Creek. What size shock does it take?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Pretty nice build without wasting much cash on it.

OneUp bars are really nice compared to the Renthals.

Maybe something for aftermarket plush(er)ness in the Ultimate fork.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The avatar. Selfies aren't allowed.

Looks OK to me, if you absolutely wanted to spend some $ then a DVO topaz squishy thing.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The bars and then the shock. Renthal 35mm bars are too stiff and the RS Deluxe is pants compared to a DVO or Cane Creek. What size shock does it take?

NS Dynamics have some good deals on DVO Jade/X coils at the moment. The Jade in particular is a nice shock that you can easily tweak the shim stack if you are so inclined. The Jade X loses some of that adjustability in favour of a climb switch.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

205×57.5 Metric Trunnion

I knew the bars would be a popular choice. But I actually have no probs with these. My arms are fine with the stiffness, and once I stop with the I'm-shitting-myself-death-grip when I'm heading downwards, I can't see my hands having an issue with them either.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah the rear shock would be the best improvement you could make. There are a few that would be worth looking at, I would start with DVO and Manitou Mara Pro.
The Mara does have some pretty sweet red splashes of colour on it!

#priorities

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
@johnny ur bike looks pretty mint. There’s not much left to upgrade, I’d look to spend the money on either getting the suspension dialled or revalved if required or a couple of coaching lessons.
But if you absolutely have to spend the money before u put it on a 3 bet multi I’d go for a wider range drivetrain.