Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Heads up…11sp deore to XT is discontinued. They’re replacing it with lead weight ebike 11sp. It’s not cross compatible with current 11sp.
I’ve bought up on derailleurs.
Does the discontinued deore to XT also apply to 10 speed? I'm fully invested in this outdated number of gears.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
My old XT 10sp shifter is starting to die.

Sometimes when I go to shift up a gear, particularly as I'm going from mid gear up, there's nothing there. I have to press the lever a couple of times for it to click - or it only clicks once when it should be clicking twice and double shifting.

Considering going to 11sp, Shimano M8000 (as long as the mount fits with my M8100 brakes, not sure yet), but finding a shifter in stock is proving difficult.
How old is your gear cable johnny? Not saying that's necessarily the issue, but my roadie 105 was doing the same. New cable and a clean up inside the shifter had it shifting smooth and snappy once again.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
How old is your gear cable johnny? Not saying that's necessarily the issue, but my roadie 105 was doing the same. New cable and a clean up inside the shifter had it shifting smooth and snappy once again.
That's a good call @rockmoose. @johnny take the cable cover off the shifter and spray the hell out of it with WD40 let it run out of all of the shift levers etc. The solvent dissolves the gunk and lets it get out of the shifter and the left over fish oil keeps the insides happy.

Lucaw

Next in line
That's a good call @rockmoose. @johnny take the cable cover off the shifter and spray the hell out of it with WD40 let it run out of all of the shift levers etc. The solvent dissolves the gunk and lets it get out of the shifter and the left over fish oil keeps the insides happy.
This. I’ve got a bunch of 20year old deores nine speeds that keep going after this treatment

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Would Inox or Lanox be better?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Would Inox or Lanox be better?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I thought about Inox as that's my go to but when I did a mates he had WD40 so went with what I had used. I know WD40 has a solvent as a carrier but wasn't sure if Inox did.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Heads up…11sp deore to XT is discontinued. They’re replacing it with lead weight ebike 11sp. It’s not cross compatible with current 11sp.
I’ve bought up on derailleurs.
Ah yes, I recall that thread now. Probably just stick with the 10sp given that I don't feel that I need more range and that it's still available.

Brand new, I think. @Tubbsy we used a new cable, didn't we?

Bar clamp is awesome, no need to worry about which variant of spec is compatible.
Yes, but then I won't feel like I've wasted money buying the secciest and lightest piece of kit that will make little to no difference to the experience or my capabilities.

That sounds like good advice, thanks. Will give that a crack this weekend.

moorey

call me Mia
Ah yes, I recall that thread now. Probably just stick with the 10sp given that I don't feel that I need more range and that it's still available.
There’s great 10sp wide range options now anyway @johnny. You’re not getting any younger.

Was your derailleur also new? My crafty shifting was still a bit sub ultimate after a cable change, mainly a bit stiff and ‘groaning’. I stripped, cleaned and lubed the derailleur, not just the clutch, but the big spring behind that tensions the cage. It was completely full of dust and try gunk after Mansfield DH bulldust. Did the shifter also as above. Works like new again.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There’s great 10sp wide range options now anyway @johnny. You’re not getting any younger.

Was your derailleur also new? My crafty shifting was still a bit sub ultimate after a cable change, mainly a bit stiff and ‘groaning’. I stripped, cleaned and lubed the derailleur, not just the clutch, but the big spring behind that tensions the cage. It was completely full of dust and try gunk after Mansfield DH bulldust. Did the shifter also as above. Works like new again.
Nope, the derailleur is just as old as the shifter (2005, with constant but not high use, mostly commuting and dirt roads), so probably a good suggestion too.