Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
That is awesome. And stupid. But mainly awesome.

Just to be novel and ask boring questions about a car with Veyron-esque horsepower, what is it actually like to live with a monster like this? What are the service intervals? Running costs? Are there any special driving techniques you need to employ? (ie. not going over 3,000rpm when it's cold etc.) My understanding is that the LS1 is a pretty understressed beast - does this level of modification introduce any weak links?

I remember reading an article about batshit crazy German Porsche guys 9ff who said that their 800rwhp missiles needed full engine rebuilds every 5,000km or something, and similar stories about mutant Mitsubishi Evos. Just seems to be a whole side of having a highly tuned car that you don't tend to hear too much about..
Its a touch more than veyron power.. they make 1000hp at the motor.. mine would push 1300 hp or probably even more considering the massive stall and auto..

Running costs.. it runs on pump e85 at around $1.20 to $1.40 a liter.. will do 550ks to a 75l tank on the freeway if i really behave myself, or, can drink that 75L in a very small amount of time when your giving it a hard time. I think we used a full tank one night in 10 -12 dyno pulls. Oil is nothing special, penrite 10tenths about 50bux a bottle. Alcholol safe. Change it every time its given a proper hard time. Would be 5000ks if i could go that long without raping it. Auto fluid is changed about the same. Juat gets cooked expecially when using the transbrake.

Motor itself wouldnt have any issues running 100,000ks between pull downs barring mechanical failures. Last time it was apart, it blocked an injectorand melted a piston. All rings, bores & bearings looked brand new and i would have happily reused them. That was 25,000ks, 4 powercruise events, 4 drag days and quite abit of racing in mexico
Cars like this are never about running costs or longevity - they're simply projects that never end :heh:
This fella knows whats up

S_M_I_D_D_Y

Likes Dirt
Ohh the bits i missed..

Its undriveable untill its warmed up. Sounds horrible.. massive piston slap, the material they are made from has much higher thermal expansion than what factory type stuff has, so when cold they are very loose.

As for driving it, boost can be set anywhere from 4psi up to max and changed on the fly from a couple of buttons on the dash. Its actually very tame to drive, as long as your not a complete moron.

On the other hand, wind it up to kill, stand on the loud pedal, and if you dont feed the power in gently, it will happily turn 28x10 drag slicks to smoke and 2 very impressive black lines, at 200ks plus on the freeway

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ohh the bits i missed..

Its undriveable untill its warmed up. Sounds horrible.. massive piston slap, the material they are made from has much higher thermal expansion than what factory type stuff has, so when cold they are very loose.

As for driving it, boost can be set anywhere from 4psi up to max and changed on the fly from a couple of buttons on the dash. Its actually very tame to drive, as long as your not a complete moron.

On the other hand, wind it up to kill, stand on the loud pedal, and if you dont feed the power in gently, it will happily turn 28x10 drag slicks to smoke and 2 very impressive black lines, at 200ks plus on the freeway
Yeah, well my stock forester can almost spin wheels in heavy rain!

That is ridiculously cool man, proper big muscle! Any videos out there of dyno runs or drags? Would love to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Bit of an update on my project.

We swapped out the valve springs to suit the new cam (all these are standard GM parts)

The first new camshaft I ordered got lost but luckily the second one eventually turned up so I got stuck into this again last night.

Note LS2 damper, as opposed to LS3 tensioner. It really is as basic as it looks!

New lifters and buckets.

Refitting the heads:

Looking a lot more complete now.

Next thing to do is to get the oil pressure riser on the new valley plate machined down and tapped to block it off. That should be done next week.

I have an adpater being machined to replace the oil cooler bypass on the sump above the oil filter to relocate the pressure switch. (I'm not going to worry re an engine oil cooler yet - they dont appear to run one standard, however the truck sump holds about a litre less oil I believe than the car pan so I will keep an eye on that)

I have however also ordered 4 x 90 degree an6 fittings, 3m of 200 series an6 hose, 2 x 10ord to an6 adaptors and a 30 row (330mmx231mmx51mm) oil cooler for the auto. (all Aeroflow who seem to make fairly decent stuff)

New sump gasket and oil filter also arrived from the local Holden dealer. I also have the fluid for the auto, just need to grab some engine oil.

Going to start trying to sort the fuel system next.

Thinking bosch 044 pump possibly in the standard Defender tank carrier / sender unit (I have a spare one here I will take apart and have a look at) or a lift pump from the standard tank, to a swirl pot then Bosch 044.

Once I get the valley plate mods done, I will refit that, then the inlet, and then try and get it wired up. I've had the loom and Ecus back for a few weeks and while the TCU is refitted in the 6l80, the loom is sat on the floor in one of the spare bedrooms!

Its got some cool bits in it. Tap up tap down, digital gear display, inbuilt park start switch so it doesnt need one on the lever / linkage, full emissions setup, obd2 port with EML light etc etc

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whoa, is Australia's entire surviving collection of 1950s/1960s Rovers up for grabs?

That mint P4 is my favourite.
Just realised this was probably from the collection of the expired John Flynn, notorious paedo and heir to Tattersalls Empire. Rot in hell.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Just realised this was probably from the collection of the expired John Flynn, notorious paedo and heir to Tattersalls Empire. Rot in hell.
It was indeed. I went to the auction and was tempted by a couple, but they were all pretty rough and despite most going for between $10 and a grand, I didn't buy one - just way too much effort time and money to make them decent.

But having heard this story on the radio this morning I feel pleased to not have anything he owned... Not the car's fault, but an ugly providence and some bad juju..

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Expensive day today, $250 for one seat that needs some welding and other repairs, $350 or so on new vinyl upholstery (is very nice) and $200 on the padding. Will make the seats as close to original as possible, I'll put an extra small layer of foam on the pads just for a bit of extra comfort and to fill out the edges a bit more but I figure dumping money into being comfy in the thing is justifiable.

Also spotted this on my travels, one of my favourite vw's made, type 34 karmann ghia.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2DIE

Likes Dirt
I've been working on my 02 WRX for about 2.5 years now, it would only get driven every other weekend until my daily packed it in and I'm temporarily driving this daily now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yes the load at the slitting lines is close to zero, but when installed and crushed, the damaged surface is going to touch, eyeballing it from side on the roughed up area has some big peaks.
Yeah, I wouldn't fit 'em. That's shit-house (and very rare) from Japanese OEM.
Low possibility the crank journal will receive mild scoring over time...?
....and after the money & effort spent by you & old mate on getting the other bits blueprinted, not worth the risk huh?

What was the cause for the rebuild? Failed head-gasket?
I always liked the EJ20 or 22 better.....the 25's can be fragile as the miles increase....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Brought it 10 years ago to drag the bikes around in the back of. Things have gotten a little more serious since then...

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/S_M_I_D_D_Y/Ute Pics/mms_20130427 0.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/S_M_I_D_D_Y/Ute Pics/FB_IMG_1470970150779.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/S_M_I_D_D_Y/Ute Pics/FB_IMG_1470970136085.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/S_M_I_D_D_Y/Ute Pics/FB_IMG_1470970203968.jpg

Its a 408ci motor, powerglide gearbox, twin 66mm turbos. made 1060rwhp on 22psi boost on the older setup.
Had a few changes since it made that power.. now has bigger cam and a new inlet manifold, bigger injectors, mechanical fuel pump, much better ecu setup, lower compression, better & stronger heads. might see up to 30psi boost now. if i ever get around to finishing the plumbing and get it retuned

Mate, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your garage.....but most mountain bikes only weigh somewhere between 13 & 17 kilos. Even if you had three or four bikes in the ute you probably only need
800 to 900 rear wheel horsepower to carry those comfortably to the trails & back. Granted sometimes you take a mate with you....or there's a slight headwind on the freeway....but 1060 rwhp is just overkill.

I'm sure with slightly less boost you can still load-up 3 bikes AND lay down 3rd gear black lines at 110 km/h with your fist out the window yeah??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm sure with slightly less boost you can still load-up 3 bikes AND lay down 3rd gear black lines at 110 km/h with your fist out the window yeah??
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I guess you can go big or go bigger. Hat's off to the amount of time, money and effort that has been put into this ute. I think you could cement a towing hitch on to the north of Tasmania and the ute of maximum ponies could easily drag it to Port Philip Bay.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I guess you can go big or go bigger. Hat's off to the amount of time, money and effort that has been put into this ute. I think you could cement a towing hitch on to the north of Tasmania and the ute of maximum ponies could easily drag it to Port Philip Bay.
Ha ha yeah. I'd give my left nut to go for a ride in it. That ute is friggin' awesome.
I built a modified car years ago & I know how much time, money, more time, more money goes into making custom parts all get along together. Big respect.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've been working on my 02 WRX for about 2.5 years now, it would only get driven every other weekend until my daily packed it in and I'm temporarily driving this daily now.
Nice, I nearly bought a bug eye and was looking at the peanut eye too. I couldn't find one at the time that didn't look like it has 'only been thrashed once'. I wanted mechanically stock too.

I ended up with the Mazda MPS. It shares the same platform as the Ford Focus and Volvo S40 and has surprisingly quite a few FoMoCo stamped parts. I wanted something generic and practical but the fun version. It has too much power on the front wheels which I though, well, it has to be a bit fun too, I might give that a go. Mazda have done well to tame it and make it behave.

It really does haul pretty hard if needed and always nice to overtake something more expensive in a car that resembles a red smiling Salamander with large nostrils.

RedSalamander.jpg

The previous owner has replaced the rear control arms which is the only mod and it really hangs on nicely. No problems to report after 2 1/2 years of having it now. If you don't give it bootful then it returns about 9L/100km. I'll keep it stock, I don't need more mumbo and less reliability out of road car.
I could easily lose my license in record time if I get all carried away right now :tape2: It can even carry bikes..........

TheMPS-v2.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah, I wouldn't fit 'em. That's shit-house (and very rare) from Japanese OEM.
Low possibility the crank journal will receive mild scoring over time...?
....and after the money & effort spent by you & old mate on getting the other bits blueprinted, not worth the risk huh?

What was the cause for the rebuild? Failed head-gasket?
I always liked the EJ20 or 22 better.....the 25's can be fragile as the miles increase....
I've very little experience with OEM stuff, and have never seen bearings in anything but pristine condition. For the sake of 150 bucks for new bearings, not going to risk it.

She's got 350,000 km, heaps of piston slap, had the heads off at 175k to piss off the composite head gaskets and found very little cross hatch left, and have babied it since, riding instead of building. Plus when it was my wife's car, she'd have it in gear before the oil pump had made pressure.

I've waited so long on the build, the stainless oil baffle plate has rusted. Damn it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ha ha yeah. I'd give my left nut to go for a ride in it. That ute is friggin' awesome.
I built a modified car years ago & I know how much time, money, more time, more money goes into making custom parts all get along together. Big respect.
A mate is 6 years into a Suzuki cappuccino build. Works in the Motorsport industry.

Hayabusa engine in the passengers seating position, turbo. Dry dumped, Motec up the wazoo. Has been built to take 30psi.

Had the roll cage fabricated out of butted tubbing, the sheet metal chassis is now for looks and hanging parts off. He has built this car with all four corners on scales aiming for perfect weight distribution.

Going to be an Aussie legend car on roids. ~600kg. Still 3-4 years away from being ready and strongly suspect the wife who came along after the car, now with kid, will demand it be sold.