Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well spotted. It's a hatch and it didn't start life anything as glorious as an SS or SLR but that just gives a few more freedoms now.

Still heaps of work to go but at least it has made a step in the right direction.
I liked the hatch backs, I spend a lot of my youth working on cars like that. I remember converting one to a 350chev motor with HQ brakes and worked on 2 genuine A9Xes. One A9X was a rally car and other one there wasn't much original gear left on it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
1600, was built as a rally car in the late eighties by SSS Automotive, gradually declined in condition since then until '11 when, after picking it up in '06 and doing a few events in it, I went to uni and it sat in my folks paddock looking sadder and sadder.

There's a pic somewhere earlier in this thread, but I'll attach it again.

View attachment 323199

Looks pretty sad here, but is worse now :(
First car I ever jumped was a datto. Ahh the memories

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Bought this for almost nothing with a motor needing some love.. So part way through rebuilding the engine and getting her back on the road.

Head was replaced, had cracks around 3 valve seats
Block in currently for b&h and anything else it needs
Recently rebuilt the front axle
Spent a full day stripping the interior and cleaning/pressure washing everything

Still plenty on the list, and plenty of money to spend.. Shame it's taking so much $$ away from MTB's lol

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Spent a full day stripping the interior and cleaning/pressure washing everything

Still plenty on the list, and plenty of money to spend.. Shame it's taking so much $$ away from MTB's lol
Everything?

[video=youtube;png5BFnwg1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=png5BFnwg1I[/video]

MARKL

Eats Squid
I liked the hatch backs, I spend a lot of my youth working on cars like that. I remember converting one to a 350chev motor with HQ brakes and worked on 2 genuine A9Xes. One A9X was a rally car and other one there wasn't much original gear left on it.
Yeah, won't be much original gear left. Started life as an auto 6. Now injected 304 (getting really tempted to stroke it), 6 speed manual, 9inch diff, Koni shocks, 6 piston Brembo front 4 at the rear (most over braked car in the world - why it needs the stroker). Car is being set up as a cruiser, should be fun.

A9X rally car - targa type car or dirt? Tears at the thought of dirt.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah, won't be much original gear left. Started life as an auto 6. Now injected 304 (getting really tempted to stroke it), 6 speed manual, 9inch diff, Koni shocks, 6 piston Brembo front 4 at the rear (most over braked car in the world - why it needs the stroker). Car is being set up as a cruiser, should be fun.

A9X rally car - targa type car or dirt? Tears at the thought of dirt.
Yes you need that stroker. LOL!

Yes dirt and it had the rally cage and all the dents to go with it. The owner didn't even know it was a true A9X body, my boss at the time checked the numbers and verified it after we noticed it had a disk braked Salisbury rear end. This was a long time ago when I was an apprentice.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yes dirt and it had the rally cage and all the dents to go with it. The owner didn't even know it was a true A9X body, my boss at the time checked the numbers and verified it after we noticed it had a disk braked Salisbury rear end. This was a long time ago when I was an apprentice.
:drama: they are stupid dollars now.

The stroker? I want bad but it is stretching the budget that has already been smashed to smithereens. May have to get going with the motor in its current form and do down the track - but I don't want to go back to the engineer:frusty:

Flow-Rider

Burner
The stroker? I want bad but it is stretching the budget that has already been smashed to smithereens. May have to get going with the motor in its current form and do down the track - but I don't want to go back to the engineer:frusty:
Yeah, been down that trail a few times, what ever you think of spending you need to double it. I didn't think the stroker kits were all that expensive these days. .

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yeah, been down that trail a few times, what ever you think of spending you need to double it. I didn't think the stroker kits were all that expensive these days. .
Yeah, but then it takes you down a path that says, :rant:cam, more revs, more squish, better get the steel crank and forged everything, 4 bolt bottom end...need a new intake and the intake I want :faint:

To be fair I would be happy with the cam and intake but the world don't work like that.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
1600, was built as a rally car in the late eighties by SSS Automotive, gradually declined in condition since then until '11 when, after picking it up in '06 and doing a few events in it, I went to uni and it sat in my folks paddock looking sadder and sadder.

There's a pic somewhere earlier in this thread, but I'll attach it again.

View attachment 323199

Looks pretty sad here, but is worse now :(
That's awesome man! Funnily enough I've got a 1600 that I'm planning on restoring very soon. Car's had a bit of work done to it, engine's running with twin webbers and and electronic distributor but there's soooo much rust :(

redbruce

Eats Squid
Yeah, but then it takes you down a path that says, :rant:cam, more revs, more squish, better get the steel crank and forged everything, 4 bolt bottom end...need a new intake and the intake I want :faint:

To be fair I would be happy with the cam and intake but the world don't work like that.
Sounds like an LS transplant might provide the best bang for the buck and meet needs.

That's awesome man! Funnily enough I've got a 1600 that I'm planning on restoring very soon. Car's had a bit of work done to it, engine's running with twin webbers and and electronic distributor but there's soooo much rust :(
If they haven't been looked after they rust like an italian car (ie everywhere).

There are clean units around if you look hard, might be better to just re shell.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
Merry Xmas binner

So I surprised myself this Xmas morn and bought these for the beetle resto. It's good to know friends who work for the super Cheap/BCF group.......

Attachments

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
If they haven't been looked after they rust like an italian car (ie everywhere).

There are clean units around if you look hard, might be better to just re shell.
Ain't that the truth haha. My old man has a 1600 as well which he's had for 40 years (his first brand new car) and has kept it really well but even it has a lot of rust.

See how I go when I strip it but I got the thing for practically nothing so not too fazed with cutting and welding.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Sounds like an LS transplant might provide the best bang for the buck and meet needs.
You are probably right but I decided to stick with the Holden V8 :noidea:

Anyhow too far gone, 6 speed has been set up etc so stick with the plan I keep telling myself, don't get anymore ideas :pound: The car should have been finished long ago, was supposed to be a simple project but the previous owner did some mods that failed engineering :frusty: and everytime that happens the conversation goes something along the lines of 'you can't use Willwood brakes, i can convert it to HQ will cost you about...' i say to the engineer 'what about if we stick a massive set of Brembos:pound:...' hence the delays...

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't see many of that model skylines being boosted. Do any of them come stock boosted other than the GTR now? Surely they've kept up building solid performance engines.

I don't see the point of a rear mounted turbo. Surely you want it as close to the dump as possible with cooling taking into account. 1/3 down the exhaust makes more sense.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't see many of that model skylines being boosted. Do any of them come stock boosted other than the GTR now? Surely they've kept up building solid performance engines.

I don't see the point of a rear mounted turbo. Surely you want it as close to the dump as possible with cooling taking into account. 1/3 down the exhaust makes more sense.
That set up is very ugly.

mason33

Likes Dirt

No skylines are factory boosted now. With the change to v6 there is very little room in the engine bay for a turbo or turbos, it can be done but it's expensive and a small job like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket could require engine out.

Rear mount turbos are a far from perfect solution but it just peaks my interest because it's something different and can be bodged together on a far tighter budget than a conventional turbo setup in these cars while maintaining an almost factory setup under the bonnet.