Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I saw a two tone green/white kombi ute thingy hooking it around a corner through an intersection and then fanging it down Sandgate Rd today.

Was it you?

Was very tidy.

Ivan

Eats Squid
As usual, I couldn't help myself and my brother and I started a tear down. Found a few exhaust and vacuum leaks, changed all the fluids, and now we are stripping the carbs cause they don't appear too happy. Hopefully going to balance them as well. Also considering checking valve clearances cause I don't want to throw a valve at 20k rpm.

I'll load up some pictures later cause right now rotorburn is being recalcitrant and for some reason uploads won't work

Also, digging the two zx's posted. Did you guys do any performance work to them that yielded tangible benefits?

Honestly I wouldn't bother upgrading a ZX2R (unless you go for some sticky tyres). You best upgrade is going to be to sell it and buy a bigger displacement bike when your ready.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
ZMB11 quik draw

I saw a two tone green/white kombi ute thingy hooking it around a corner through an intersection and then fanging it down Sandgate Rd today.

Was it you?

Was very tidy.
Hahhhhh,yup that was me giving it a lil for my girls riding in the back.....some Sundays you just gotta give a big donk sum :first:

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Honestly I wouldn't bother upgrading a ZX2R (unless you go for some sticky tyres). You best upgrade is going to be to sell it and buy a bigger displacement bike when your ready.
Wasn't really planning on doing anything apart from make it run, set it up right and add some sticky rubber. The question was more in terms of "are there any glaring flaws that I can easily correct?". Mum and dad are already eyeing it off and it is likely that in a years time when I upgrade, they will buy it off me. Dad has a thing for small bikes that handle well, and the bike is pretty much exactly what mum wants in a bike. So I don't mind doing the work to it up front as it will get more than just the standard "1 year of use then flog it off" treatment many learner bikes det.

Yesterday I tore apart the carbs, cleaned a monumental amount of junk out of the jets and suddenly it runs beautifully. Idles nicely, responds well, all up I'm happy.

Also sand blasted and resprayed the exhaust pipes to clear up some rust.

I also did a thousand other small things.

Started work at 10am and by midnight I had a running bike. That day went fast.

Now just need to track down a windshield for it as the previous owner sprayed this one matt black, which apparently won't pass the pits.

After that, off to rego!

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
"Are there any glaring flaws that I can easily correct?"
Most bikes will benefit (post rego inspection) from opening up the airbox (often as simple as removing a restrictor from the aibox inlet), a freer breathing exhaust and a jet kit to suit. Done right it will make more power everywhere and remove the dip in performance at the engine speed at which noise tests are done.
It can make the bike louder than legal, but the more tractable engine and noise may save your life.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Hahhhhh,yup that was me giving it a lil for my girls riding in the back.....some Sundays you just gotta give a big donk sum :first:
Good stuff. I just happened to be up that way at my brother in laws and I spotted it when sitting at the lights and though fark that looks familiar!

Even wifey wanted to know exactly what it was.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
now this looks like fun, didnt want to go Honda K series?
2zz is too easy, was factory option so no compliance hassles. Factory ecu and emissions so no problems. Honda conversions are great but can be troublesome if you try and do it all by the book. Couldn't afford to pay for an engineered Honda conversion.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
reading through this makes me miss some of my old cars... :pout:

my last project, that i sold just before moving from WA to QLD was a '89 HR31 Passage GT. 4 door coolness, no B pillars so a nice flexy chassis... and just to help the cause a forged RB25 replaced the old red top RB20.
it needed a bit of tidying up to get rego (was bought from ACT, so needed to go over the pits anyway) but god it was fun. previous owner fitted some sub-par chinese parts that i was slowly replacing... but even with a cheap, lazy, bush-bearing turbo it spat out about 410rwhp. would have been much more fun with something like a GT35R strapped on the side...

another cool car before that was a '98 Legnum Super VR-4.
mine was one of the first in WA, if not Australia.. and a limited edition being the "Super" VR-4, not just the regular top of the line VR-4.
Twin turbo 2.5L V6 with AWD and the same trick AYC rear diff as the evo's. super cool, super fun, super sleeper... used to give a lot of people a bit surprise. AWD launches in that thing were great too, being an auto/tiptronic, the turbo's would spool off the torque converter, and it left the line with much gusto.
the legnum was sold though... being a rare-ish car, not even just to australia... there wasn't too many parts for them. and they had rods made of toothpicks, so i didn't want test their limits by winding any more boost into it than i already had!

but alas, i must be getting old now because the next project is likely an Audi B8 A4 Avant...

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Got all the bits to get my new wheels on finally. Just need to find time to install the coilovers and roll my guards now. Test fit the wheels with the final spacing and really happy with the result. This pic is of the test fit, so hopefully it'll look even better once its low.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
2zz is too easy, was factory option so no compliance hassles. Factory ecu and emissions so no problems. Honda conversions are great but can be troublesome if you try and do it all by the book. Couldn't afford to pay for an engineered Honda conversion.
Fair enough. Seems compliance is quite a bit more difficult than in QLD. I just had to get a modification plate for my car (civic with engine/trans swap, brake swap, cage etc etc) and it was as simple as taking it to an engineer for a look over, paid him <$100, and left with a 'legal' car.

Considering a Honda powered lotus as a future project, not sure when the time will come though...... but a friend just bought a 260 Cup and is putting bad ideas in my head. The S/C 2zz is a rocket.

My current toy

Lakeside Raceway - wallpaper by Alexx P, on Flickr

Lakeside Raceway - Wallpaper by Alexx P, on Flickr

Lakeside Raceway - Wallpaper by Alexx P, on Flickr

Untitled by Alexx P, on Flickr

funkymonkey

Likes Dirt
Bit of a bump. I'm back in an sti.
Very nice,

I am contemplating buying one, as the wife wants a new outback - which means I downsize the 4x4...
Any tips on best model/things to watch out for/would it look odd with a tow bar bike rack.

Understandably - I want an unmolested one - sti would be ideal...

Looking around the 20k max...

Either that or a Liberty GT Spec B

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Not really the typical post in here but I didn't think it was worth making a separate thread. My car (2004 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon) has a McIntosh Stereo. The speakers are actually fairly good, but it has a shit cd player that gets condensation in it and skips like a bitch until the car is warm (takes like 20 minutes or more).

How difficult is an aftermarket headunit install in a car like this? Ideally I would like a touch screen double-din sized one in place of the current stereo - I just dont want one of those fuck ugly din sized ones with green LEDs and shit. I found a fascia plate to suit double din that integrates the hazard light button on eBay for $100, and think I could get a head unit for $400 or so - so ideally if I could do it myself I could do it for like $550 or so... Which would be worth it, especially considering I would get an AUX input and Bluetooth with it. Am I up to the task if I set aside a weekend?

Or should I just get some desiccant out of a shoe box and tip it in my CD slot?

IMG_4654.jpg

Beej1

... that gets condensation in it and skips like a bitch until the car is warm (takes like 20 minutes or more).
Forgive me if you've thought of this already ... but if that condensation is from water getting in from outside the unit, it would be a good idea to solve that problem before your fancy new double DIN touch screen unit goes in yeah?

As for stereo installation tips, I found that looking in Subaru specific forums was the go. I used an Outback forum for stereo installation tips back when I had one... I think it was a US site ... LHD or RHD doesn't really matter.

I've heard good things about some of the Android touch screen units on eBay. But once again check on an automotive specific forum for which ones are best.

And a final thing ... if you get the right unit an AUX input shouldn't be an issue - built in 30GB hard drives are the go. Or a SD card slot at the least.

Shredden

Knows his goats
With regards to the condensation... I hadn't actually thought of that. It is a very well documented issue with this stereo but not in other Liberties with different stereos. I think it might be that it just accumulates from condensation in the air and the laser is very sensitive to it? Rather than an issue with the car not being water tight haha.

I'll check out the forums for sure. Its just that they do have a bit of a habit (in my experience) of drastically understating the work required on DIY jobs.

A built in HDD would be nice, but I get a lot of my music from Spotify and radio apps, so I would still probably be using the aux/bluetooth fairly often.