Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The real solution to water is desalination though. It’s a surprisingly small 5-10 percent energy cost to run desal to feed electrolysers. And lots of research going on into electrolysers that will run on sea water.

Problem with desal is brine disposal, it’s not great for marine ecosystems. Dilution is not the solution to pollution…
Perhaps we could sell the salt to the Saudis so their rich clients can ski on it? No need for expensive refrigeration then. So that's a win-win!

mark22

Likes Dirt
Nah, it’s all normal.

Yep never had any faith in this guy. I find it strange that people look at their own lifetime experience in respect to weather events I've had many conversations with folk that have never seen " that I'm my lifetime".

Engineers now look at a prediction of a one in 1,000 year event in respect of dam construction with many of these existing structures have been upgraded for safety by raising walls and upgrading spillways, not to increase ordinary storage capacity but to preserve integrity.

I believe there is far worse to come as most folk don't even look back further than their own experience or consider how short recorded Australian records are and certainly would not consider a timeline of 1-5k years.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yep never had any faith in this guy. I find it strange that people look at their own lifetime experience in respect to weather events I've had many conversations with folk that have never seen " that I'm my lifetime".

Engineers now look at a prediction of a one in 1,000 year event in respect of dam construction with many of these existing structures have been upgraded for safety by raising walls and upgrading spillways, not to increase ordinary storage capacity but to preserve integrity.

I believe there is far worse to come as most folk don't even look back further than their own experience or consider how short recorded Australian records are and certainly would not consider a timeline of 1-5k years.
Lol. That was making fun of the LNP funded fuckwits at advance Australia, not Flannary.

They misquoted him obviously;)

Flow-Rider

Burner

That's like the Brisbane CBD suburbs, they actually built them on a flood plane and then dammed the water off that enters the Brisbane river to restrict its flow. The population has exploded and they try to keep as much water in the dam as they can to avoid water restrictions, then when a big weather system comes they have to release the water at the last minute.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
That's like the Brisbane CBD suburbs, they actually built them on a flood plane and then dammed the water off that enters the Brisbane river to restrict its flow. The population has exploded and they try to keep as much water in the dam as they can to avoid water restrictions, then when a big weather system comes they have to release the water at the last minute.
Or, after the last minute in some cases!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Another one going… This will really start snowballing soon! I always assumed it would be beyond my lifetime, but perhaps not!

I remember doing a presentation a decade ago to a regional board about the climate modelling results of the day...when I made the mistake of saying annual rainfall wouldn't likely change significantly they relaxed and I lost them...never got to mention seasonality and variability and they ignored temperature. I was quietly confident we were in for interesting times...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Is she/it protesting about climate change or trans rights? The outfit makes it all a bit confusing.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
You'd think they would have painted the oil companies' offices, love the fire extinguisher paint thrower though :D .

Scotty T

Walks the walk
NUKULER!

If you want to feel sad and disgusted at the state of the world, read the comments on any social platform regarding Greta Thunberg's recent media. The women seem particularly vicious.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
NUKULER!

If you want to feel sad and disgusted at the state of the world, read the comments on any social platform regarding Greta Thunberg's recent media. The women seem particularly vicious.
Not that it makes it any less awful, but a lot of that stuff is generated by bought troll farms and not actually from real individuals. Obviously plenty of them exist too.

I saw something posted up the other day where after the Brazilian election, thousands of anti-Lula posts were spamming completely unrelated instagram posts.