Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Only one party is with you. See point 1 below. A majority Green government in both houses is literally the only way we will ever do the right thing. People still think it's a crazy notion. It is not.

I read it twice & can't find reference to CDR.

Also, this is too late:

18. A nationwide, systematic response is required to drastically reduce emissions from all sectors, draw down greenhouse gases, and be greenhouse gas neutral or negative by 2035.
And they say this is ok:

25. Thermal coal exports to be phased out by 2030 and all other fossil fuel exports to cease by 2040, with the exception of metallurgical coal.
If their policy doesn't match the science, it's useless.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
People that care about the planet will realise that net zero by 2050 is utterly inadequate anyway.

Net zero in less than a decade with massive CDR is the only solution, anything else is useless due to catastrophic overshoots & tipping points.

Does anyone here really understand how critical this is?
I’m not sure if my outlook has been jaded at all by watching Scotland get knocked out of the Euros this morning but seriously, what’s the point?

As a species we’re really not that concerned about existential threats. Millions of people around the world and throughout history live/have lived on the slopes of active volcanoes, on massive flood plains, geological faults, tsunami coasts, highly-flammable bushland, drought prone areas and in conflict zones.
To the vast majority of the worlds population climate change is just another act of cunty behaviour from The Gods and a fairly intangible one at that so we’re never going to get the changes we’re hoping for.

Anyway life’s meaningless and the slow heat death of the universe cant come quickly enough!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nothing that's been global before.

We have pretty much officially exited the Holocene period:

Let's zoom in a little & see how stable temperatures have been for the last 10,000 years:

1.5 degrees or 2 degrees drags us back in the Eemian climate, 130,000 years ago.

All this bullshit about "we've been here before" is bullshit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok...so can someone carpool with @hifiandmtb around this weekend? His "get your shit together" tour kicks off in the seat of new england and then it's a whirlwind of too much driving for one person. Bring your jackboots, there's going to be some arses to kick.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Does anyone here really understand how critical this is?
Yes. We're f***ed. It's the main reason I'm not having kids. It's also why I'm blowing cash on bikes, toys and other irresponsible crap rather than being sensible. May as well get out there and enjoy life because within two decades we'll probably be rationing fresh water and welded to air conditioners for several months of the year because it's simply too hot to be outside. And that's one of the more positive outcomes.

As you've said yourself, aiming for nominal targets won't save us, it's radical and completely unpalatable reductions in consumption of both energy and resources that will save us and they need to start tomorrow. Try selling that when a significant portion of the population aren't interested, refuse to see the danger or (in the case of evangelicals) are actively welcoming it because it matches their prophecy.

The only positives I've seen recently are (perversely) COVID-19 collectively demonstrating to humanity that we are not infallible and declining population rates and fertility worldwide.

Edit: apologies, not the most positive contribution.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’m not sure if my outlook has been jaded at all by watching Scotland get knocked out of the Euros this morning but seriously, what’s the point?

As a species we’re really not that concerned about existential threats. Millions of people around the world and throughout history live/have lived on the slopes of active volcanoes, on massive flood plains, geological faults, tsunami coasts, highly-flammable bushland, drought prone areas and in conflict zones.
To the vast majority of the worlds population climate change is just another act of cunty behaviour from The Gods and a fairly intangible one at that so we’re never going to get the changes we’re hoping for.

Anyway life’s meaningless and the slow heat death of the universe cant come quickly enough!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Nothing that's been global before.

We have pretty much officially exited the Holocene period:

Let's zoom in a little & see how stable temperatures have been for the last 10,000 years:

1.5 degrees or 2 degrees drags us back in the Eemian climate, 130,000 years ago.

All this bullshit about "we've been here before" is bullshit.
I don’t think anyone’s said “We’ve been here before“ and all I’m doing is pointing out that to the vast majority of the world’s population climate change is still a low priority. People tend to focus on the more immediate threats and people who are living week to week often aren’t afforded the luxury of being able to concern themselves with how things will look 10-15 years down the track.

The fact that it’s global makes sweet FA difference. That really just means it has the power to affect those of us who have been living in relative luxury for the last century and thus is a big ticket issue. The 90% of the population who are already burdened with a whole shitload of other more immediate problems are less concerned.

Its depressing stuff, I know but if there’s anything to take heart in it’s the fact that -in the words of the Great Bill Hicks- we’re a ‘virus with shoes’

We’ve managed to eke out an existence on this planet in conditions as extreme as the Arctic Circle, the Sahara desert, the Amazon Jungle and the oxygen-sparse plateaus of the Himalayas and the Andes and we have survived in these environments since the Bronze Age. Nowadays we’re even having credible discussions about colonising Mars.

Im not saying this is an excuse not to alter our behaviour, curb our waste and streamline our energy consumption - progress demands it and it’s sorely needed - but subjecting ourselves to undue personal stress over things that are far beyond our personal control seems -somewhat ironically- like a waste of energy.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
You mean the rich countries, yeah?
Go get a clipboard and take to the streets of Mumbai, Manila or Mexico City with a survey on ’issues you’re most concerned about’ and see where Climate Change falls. Fuck, Brazil’s Jair Bolsanoro made slashing down the Amazon rainforest an electoral promise!

Im not saying that they shouldn’t be concerned but I can see why they’re prioritising other things like crime, housing or the ability to feed ones family.

As for the rich countries, it does tend to be a higher priority. Just because Australia keeps electing fuckwits who are obsessed with coal - a bloody 19th century power source-, doesnt mean the rest of the OECD countries are quite as embarrassingly primitive.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said there was a clear human fingerprint on this “very freakish” event. Without emissions from cars, farms and industry, he said, the record temperatures in the western north Americas would be expected only once in tens of thousands of years, but the probability rises along with the levels of the greenhouse gas. “In the present-day climate, getting an extremely hot June is common and is likely to occur twice in three decades. However, an analysis from many computer models suggests that by the end of the century these extreme temperatures are more likely than not. Human influence is estimated to have increased the likelihood of a new record several thousand times.”

See, this is the sort of information that the average flesh monkey can't understand or doesn't want to understand.

Because if the flesh monkeys did understand, they'd likely declare a climate emergency & do something about it.

Why else would a climate emergency not be declared?