Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interesting (and unexpected) outcome that one. Someone didn't bribe (sorry, offer a political contribution) to the right person.

I didn't find some ironic amusement in the Clean Energy Council's whining about the proposal being "rejected before the completion of detailed environmental studies". I mean how dare they? Actually completing environmental studies before green-lighting projects? How do they expect us to make money?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Bit of a fraught one this one, huh? Nice on one hand to see the minister finally stepping in on major resources projects fucking up huge swathes of land willy-nilly, but hard to not roll your eyes at it being a major renewables project in WA despite all their gushing support for Abbot Point/Carmichael/Galilee etc in Qld or determination to build new dirty power generators in NSW.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Making Ammonia and piping it about in a RAMSAR listed wetlands and shipping all of it to Asia might not be the best option.
Yes, I’ll dig out the EPBC decision when I can and read the fine print. If it’s a legit problem then well and good and hopefully the proponents can manage it properly.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
All this massive infrastructure will do is fuel economic growth in Asia. - Where are the CO2 benefit analysis (CO2 neutrality) figures anyway?

The EIS is available below:

https://t.co/k8deVEWXdO?amp=1

“Built across 666,000ha and 20,000 cleared.”
The impacts on the remainder would be have similar or same consequence to clearing it. Weasel words, as usual.

The only thing that matters is the share of low carbon energy, so the question should be, would the energy produced by this hub offset any fossil fuel supply?

Or would it instead spur more growth and not change the share of FF energy marginally or at all? I don’t think anyone can answer that, and of course the optimistic assumption is always made.

Let’s ask Mauna Loa shall we...

Whatever the world needs hey?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
26 tonne compactor in the distance for scale

One thing I noticed walking around this dump is that, even by this stage, when all the 'recoverable' items have been removed (and Albury tip does a fantastic job with removing recycling, building materials, green waste, etc) there are still things left that are perfectly fine to do their job. Just in the time I was there, one of the guys set aside a few witches hats, whose only crime was they were pretty dirty. It struck me that probably a lot of the time, things are just thrown out because they just don't find their way to other people who could make use of them.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
26 tonne compactor in the distance for scale

One thing I noticed walking around this dump is that, even by this stage, when all the 'recoverable' items have been removed (and Albury tip does a fantastic job with removing recycling, building materials, green waste, etc) there are still things left that are perfectly fine to do their job. Just in the time I was there, one of the guys set aside a few witches hats, whose only crime was they were pretty dirty. It struck me that probably a lot of the time, things are just thrown out because they just don't find their way to other people who could make use of them.
I’ve got a mate who works at the local tip. The first time we went round his house we were amazed at how fancy the joint was and I started to get the impression that he worked in ‘waste management’ in much the same way as Tony Soprano did.

Nope, turns out there was nothing dodgy going on. He was just taking a lot of work home with him and getting creative with it.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Sad.

Labor just as sad.

If anyone actually cares about our country doing something about CC they will vote Greens...

[please withold the raft of bullshit excuses for not voting Greens, I've heard them all before and they are rubbish]

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Sad.

Labor just as sad.

If anyone actually cares about our country doing something about CC they will vote Greens...

[please withold the raft of bullshit excuses for not voting Greens, I've heard them all before and they are rubbish]
ALP are seemingly running scared because Fitzgibbon is convinced they have to do everything up to (and possibly including) making out with coal in Parliament otherwise they'll lose the next election.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
People that care about the planet will realise that net zero by 2050 is utterly inadequate anyway.

Net zero in less than a decade with massive CDR is the only solution, anything else is useless due to catastrophic overshoots & tipping points.

Does anyone here really understand how critical this is?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
People that care about the planet will realise that net zero by 2050 is utterly inadequate anyway.

Net zero in less than a decade with massive CDR is the only solution, anything else is useless due to catastrophic overshoots & tipping points.

Does anyone here really understand how critical this is?
Yes, but what do propose we do about the 50+% of the population that don't believe it, or just don't want to believe it?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
What they believe doesn't matter. Only net zero in less than a decade with massive CDR does.

I'm not being alarmist, I'm being honest:

Seriously, we're almost out of time.

Zero by 2050 is utter fucking bullshit.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Only one party is with you. See point 1 below. A majority Green government in both houses is literally the only way we will ever do the right thing. People still think it's a crazy notion. It is not.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
What they believe doesn't matter. Only net zero in less than a decade with massive CDR does.

I'm not being alarmist, I'm being honest:

Seriously, we're almost out of time.

We were out of time decades ago.