People who maybe know thing about cars please help

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You are wasting your money replacing the ECU. She's a parts car.

Having worked in the past for an organisation that had some more than occasional experience sinking its vehicles in waterways and reservoirs I can speak with some assurance that a modern 4x4 sunk deeply (like yours) in water (even very very clean water) continues to smell like a swamp forever which is a great accompaniment to a litany of ongoing mechanical failures.

The only exception I can recall is a Nissan Patrol ute that I flooded into the footwells on a 4x4 course in Cobar. Drove it through a farm dam. We stripped the vinyl floor and soundproofing out immediately and lobbed them in the tray. Drove the 2.5 hours home on a hot summers day so the lining dried out in the heat and wind no worries. Meanwhile I nearly expired from combination of heat exhaustion, noise assault and third degree burns to my feet in an uninsulated cab...but it dried the sucker out good and proper. No smell.

Mind you, the condition of the diff and gearbox oil was a different matter.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thats the attitude I hold.

My decision to buy a "4WD" was inspired almost entirely by this video:

[video=youtube;gWDL93c4tiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDL93c4tiM[/video]
And yet you still purchased a shopping trolley :doh:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Thats the attitude I hold.

My decision to buy a "4WD" was inspired almost entirely by this
Your copping a fair amount of flack for your escapade dude.

But fuck that looks like it would've been a metric shitload of rad to get a crv stuck like that! More people need to get into half arsed dumb shit.

My 02 subi outback has been rallied into trees and floated across rivers, because fuck real 4wds are expensive so i have a dig in a green pedo wagon.

Drink coffee and destroy.

Next time buy one of these, Padawon.
Whio.jpg

Nothing that can't be easily fixed, tonnes of inexpensive improvements that can be done & they're near impossible to kill.
This was such a fun little bongo bus to own & work on. Would go anywhere & has snatched many a pootrol out of the fudge. Nothing more pleasing than burbling around a bogged 4x4 & asking the sheepish owner, "Did you lift?"

scblack

Leucocholic
As many people have said a CRV is not a 4WD. Calling it a hairdressers 4WD is being WAY too kind to one.

Bad buy. Very bad. Even if just for shits and giggles.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Considering it automatically defaults to 2WD for over 99% of it's life I dont think it even qualifies for the term 4WD at all. The 4WD mode has reportedly been designed to kick in precisely 3.5 seconds after you needed it.

scblack

Leucocholic
Considering it automatically defaults to 2WD for over 99% of it's life I dont think it even qualifies for the term 4WD at all. The 4WD mode has reportedly been designed to kick in precisely 3.5 seconds after you needed it.
I recall an article comparing a few soft roaders, and the CRV was the only one that bogged itself in sand driving.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Drink coffee and destroy.
Cheers! It has been good fun so far. However, skinny dipping in the puddle to get the snatch strap onto the tow hook at 11pm in the middle of a polar vortex was... painful fun. Lucky the rescue crew are surfers and had a good supply of blutack or I'm sure I would have a festy ear infection by now.

Good job :). Bet you were thankful for the escape hatch in the roof eh.
For some reason the guys in the back of the car were absolutely panicking that they would drown inside the car, and had to get out ASAP! Not really possible when the water level outside the car is only at the bottom of the doors ;)

Next time buy one of these, Padawon.
Definitely an option one day, when I can afford rego and maintenance on a second car. I think I need something a little less exciting for a daily.

As many people have said a CRV is not a 4WD. Calling it a hairdressers 4WD is being WAY too kind to one.
The 4WD system isn't great, particularly on off-camber uphills. The front wheels spin for maybe 3/4 of a rotation before the back kicks in, which is just enough for the front end of the car to slide across and get you half off your line.

Like I said, despite this, I have been kinda surprised at its performance so far (other than the wading depth test haha). Some day I will get a car with proper locking diffs and a real 4WD system but for the few times that this will be taken offroad I think it's okay. I wanted something a little more modern and hairdresser'y anyway, considering 95% of my driving is commuting along Hoddle Street in peak hour.

Thanks for the other advice guys. I'll at least try to get it running for now with the ECU (found one for $80 which should be here by friday) and then re-evaluate what to do with it when I break down in the middle of a busy intersection. The carpets are already stripped and washed, currently drying, and I've ordered some new sound deadening. So fingers crossed the ongoing stank is... bearable

Flow-Rider

Burner
Can you actually see the fry marks on the ECU board, strange how you drove home before it wouldn't start again. Most ECU circuit boards are coated with circuit board lacquer paint. I would check the crank angle sensor is working.