Older SUV, what's most reliable

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
A good mate who is a very established motoring writer, recommends Kia and Hyundai up to 10 years old. They poached some Audi/BMW/VW design and engineering talent, and got it sorted. My eldest loves hers, my sister in law loves hers too. He also is pro Toyota and Honda. The 2005 Toyota Corolla, always garaged, full service history, 57,000ks and 88 yo original owner, we just got for our youngest is mint.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Honda have definitely lost their design mojo. Their design team must have lunch with the Mitsubishi and Nissan teams and agree on terminally fugly car looking things.
Yeah, I totally agree, and I’m not a car guy, so couldn’t care less... but I have always loved Honda’s understated smooth simple lines, but now, these days... WTF is that mishmash horrid POS look with hexagon filled panels on ya weird taillight on ya body shape to vomit on.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'd buy a Forester any day of the week, people say how crap they are on the sand but most can't drive for peanuts.

SG series XT’s EJ255 is closed deck/semi closed. Left at factory spec, it’s pretty bloody good. Wind the wick up and it’s as bad as an ej253. Burp burp burp.

Flow-Rider

Burner
SG series XT’s EJ255 is closed deck/semi closed. Left at factory spec, it’s pretty bloody good. Wind the wick up and it’s as bad as an ej253. Burp burp burp.
Even this outback does fairly well, they both have a diff lock mod but that's no biggie.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Never owned a Honda, but mates who do, have found them the most reliable vehicles they’ve ever owned.
Wife used to be a spare parts interpreter and their warehouse was always low on Honda and Toyota parts. Not because they kept replacing them, but because there was rarely a need for them.

Honda and Toyota are consitently reliable.

safreek

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is what I wanted https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cor...m_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=mweb_VIP
Please await photo of Nissan Renault.
Turns out i had no say in the matter, deposit was given before I even knew.
Cue Simpson cartoon with the whip cracking
That van is belter - Hard to find , but unkillable if maintained .
The last of them were a very well sorted travel machine - hi flo air cleaner , uprated suspension - Have a look for the Longreach Version - lots of old blokes bought them new - no real work done - po -po ones have been beaten to death .

Flow-Rider

Burner
Such a shame they still let peanuts drive cars on Fraser Island... Looks like a nice place otherwise.
They were going to build a bridge across to it at one point, the place is screwed now. Nothing like what it was 30 years ago, those off-road camper trailers are the worst thing invented, once they get stuck in them, they dig huge ruts, and then it gets exacerbated by the others later on. There needs to be a requirement for a special licence to off-road in those places. It's quite different to a lot of other beaches because the sand is very fine, it's a lot more difficult to drive on when it's dry.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That van is belter - Hard to find , but unkillable if maintained .
The last of them were a very well sorted travel machine - hi flo air cleaner , uprated suspension - Have a look for the Longreach Version - lots of old blokes bought them new - no real work done - po -po ones have been beaten to death .
Ah memories.... Drove an XH Longreach Ute a lot back in my uni weekend job days. Horrid pos from new. Useless clutch fried towing so they put a heavy one in that needed both feet to operate - a long day in Melbourne traffic and my left leg was stuffed... Windows randomly dropped into the doors, factory lpg would occasionally backfire into the airbox making the bonnet jump up. Tie rods ends unscrewed themselves resulting in opposite lock sideways action on the west gate bridge in heavy traffic in the rain...

Had some poke though.

tobbogonist

a registered member
It runs on gas, you'll need to check if the system complies before registration, the tanks need checking every 10 years.
Checking process is pretty straight forward if their compliant. I had the landrover done last year, 200 bucks from memory.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Checking process is pretty straight forward if their compliant. I had the landrover done last year, 200 bucks from memory.
It's a fairly old car and LPG gas tanks have limited life spans, if it needs a new tank most likely easier to remove the gas system, something you should check before you buy the car that the tank is within the 10 inspection because the tanks need an independent inspection every 10 years. Dual fuel systems on those old pigs was a joke because you had to tune the car towards what ever fuel you ran on the most, it also didn't do the valves any good.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
CVT on our XTrail was awful
Meh, I like ours & it hasn't missed a beat over 180,000km. The pre '09 models IIRC did have issues, especially in the Pathfinders but it appeared to have been corrected beyond that. Put my foot down, it responds & goes just like it should.

Overall, I've found the X-Trail to be a good no nonsense SUV. Mechanically it's given me very little trouble and it's easy enough to work on that I can do most things myself. Parts are easy to come by and no over-expensive.

The only troubles I've had to date are:
  • Shithead teenagers kicking the door handle in, leading to a new door on insurance
  • Running out of clearance driving in soft sand, and probably overheating the diff. It may be 4WD, but that was beyond it for sure.
  • During said sand expedition, tearing the back bumper in half because it filled up with sand. Zip ties fixed that and the reversing radar still works.
  • Radiator dropping it's guts (because it had taken a significant impact at some point and eventually sprung a leak)
  • Electric seat adjustment switch dying. $150 for a fresh one and a few hours to put it in.
  • CV joint blew on one side at about 160,000km. Couple of hundred to fix that one
  • Lower swing arms worn out at about 170,000. A few hundred each I think to replace.
  • Brake rotors needed replacing from lumpy braking due to the above CV joint dropping it's guts all over one side. $100 each.
Really, considering it's age & km, it's got quite low service costs to date and still is a very comfortable and practical car to drive.

tobbogonist

a registered member
It's a fairly old car and LPG gas tanks have limited life spans, if it needs a new tank most likely easier to remove the gas system, something you should check before you buy the car that the tank is within the 10 inspection because the tanks need an independent inspection every 10 years. Dual fuel systems on those old pigs was a joke because you had to tune the car towards what ever fuel you ran on the most, it also didn't do the valves any good.
I know nothing about the technology. I just press the button to switch to gas. Man at shop said it was good.

slowmick

38-39"
Ah memories.... Drove an XH Longreach Ute a lot back in my uni weekend job days. Horrid pos from new. Useless clutch fried towing so they put a heavy one in that needed both feet to operate - a long day in Melbourne traffic and my left leg was stuffed... Windows randomly dropped into the doors, factory lpg would occasionally backfire into the airbox making the bonnet jump up. Tie rods ends unscrewed themselves resulting in opposite lock sideways action on the west gate bridge in heavy traffic in the rain...

Had some poke though.
how many door handles did you break?