Older SUV, what's most reliable

safreek

Hey guys. Any mechanics or similar out there.
I'm looking at spending 8ish grand on an oldish SUV. Which ones are known for their reliability. People reckon a good Mazda or Toyota are the go, true or not.
Would you touch something like a koleos or BMW with under 200,000 on the clock.
Please start with true knowledge and not what ol Bob at the pub said.
Are Chrysler and dodge as bad as all the reviews, they look nice. Cheers for any knowledge passed on

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
We have a Koleos 2010 model. It is basiacally an X Trail underneath. Showing signs of age now with some small parts failing (door lock, rear tailgate latches, plastic around windscreen cracking). These are all common issues and easily fixed but not cheap.

It has a CVT box which is crap but so far has not given any issues. Overall not a bad car and has lots of equipment for the money. If you go down the Koleos path ensure it has a solid service history, which state are you in?

Decent independent Renault garages in both Vic and NSW will check a potential vehicle over for a fee and let you know if yay or nay.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Subaru outback are a good option, but trying to fine one that hasn't had the guts flogged out of it by some P plater will be the challenge, as I believe the parts and repairs are quite costly.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Subaru outback are a good option, but trying to fine one that hasn't had the guts flogged out of it by some P plater will be the challenge, as I believe the parts and repairs are quite costly.
parts are on par i beleive, but repairs are probably exxy due to subaru's habit of hiding stuff behind other stuff and cramming stuff into spaces meant for smaller stuff.

I rated the outback wifey had, mid 2000s H6 model. would definitely buy again, and would definitely get the 6 over the 4 again too. i dont think they're that much zoomier, but they dont work as hard and my understanding on talking to others is that they're more robust.

if you want reliability, get an old hilux. the ride is appalling and the 2.8l naturally aspirated diesel puts it in the same class as a zamboni, but you cant kill the bloody things.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
For anything around 10 years old and more, its probably more about buying on the condition and history of the particular car rather any particular car. A badly kept toyota will still be trouble.

Koleos is a good bet, not just because i like renaults - a Koleos isn't a Renault - its a Samsung build in Korea with Nissan mechanicals. But the dumb arse aussie stigma about the reno badge means they dont hold value, so youre basically getting a Korean made Entrail with more toys for less money. If you're not a badge snob, that makes them a good value used buy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Where will you be taking it? Do you need proper 4wd or awd with some ground clearance. Link is spot on, avoid Euro at that age unless you are flush with money and deficit of brain. Give us some idea of what freaky stuff the vehicle will do and how many km a year, towing etc. Some good deals on petrol 4wds if you can rationalise the costs.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Never owned a Honda, but mates who do, have found them the most reliable vehicles they’ve ever owned.
this —try CRV, but used car prices are up 20%, some tradie vehicles are up 40%, no new cars for 12-18 months in many models,...now is only the time to sell, not buy

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I rated the outback wifey had, mid 2000s H6 model. would definitely buy again, and would definitely get the 6 over the 4 again too. i dont think they're that much zoomier, but they dont work as hard and my understanding on talking to others is that they're more robust.
I’m still running a’05 Liberty H6 with over 250,000k’s and it’s been good. Just replaced the clutch and have had to do a wheel bearing but other than that it pretty much been normal consumables at each service.
Good thing about the H6 is it runs on a timing chain while the 4’s use a belt that is recommended for changing ever 100,000 and mean pulling a while heaps of ship apart to get to it

K.C.

Likes Dirt
look for FWD version for reliability and cheaper running cost.
if you says "oh, might go offroad sometimes and the extra traction helps", nah, don't bother with AWD SUV. you need a 4x4.

Flow-Rider

Burner
if you want reliability, get an old hilux. the ride is appalling and the 2.8l naturally aspirated diesel puts it in the same class as a zamboni, but you cant kill the bloody things.
Even old Hiluxes are hard to get now or overpriced by 5~8k. I would personally look for the pre electric injection pump 3.0l diesel.

The problem with old Subi's are if they've been cooked or have a poor service history the car will be totally fucked, alloy blocks and heads don't take well to cheap and old coolant, but a good 350000km car if they've been well serviced.

moorey

call me Mia
Even old Hiluxes are hard to get now or overpriced by 5~8k. I would personally look for the pre electric injection pump 3lt diesel.

The problem with old Subi's are if they've been cooked or have a poor service history the car will be totally fucked, alloy blocks and heads don't take well to cheap and old coolant, but a good 350000km car if they've been well serviced.
Hilux are the worst for Covid tax. People are taking the piss asking $25k for a mid 90’s model with 250,000+ on the clock.
I bought my 2013 a week before Covid hit the fan. Could get $6-8k more than I paid without blinking today.