Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
All I'm saying is that not even Senna in his prime could beat the Williams with electronic suspension
Yeah but cars are much better at masking your general ineptitude than bikes are. Throw an average driver the keys to an R35 and they could hurl it around corners at twice the speed limit without too much drama. An average rider is not going to see which way Jesse Melamed went even if they're on a Live-Valved Pivot unobanium and the latter is on a crap hardtail.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
All I'm saying is that not even Senna in his prime could beat the Williams with electronic suspension
The electro bits on a F1 car had a different effect to what they do on a bike. The purpose of electro 'spension in F1 was to keep the car as stable as possible to keep the aerodynamics working at their finely-calculated best. Which is a pretty big deal at the speeds they do. Williams at that time also had one of the best aerodynamicists ever involved in the sport, and that played a big part in their success in that period.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah, it ain't "like MotoGp" as we're not doing any engine braking. At a glance it looks like it's just an extra (and kinda pointless) freewheel, evidently with lower drag than the rear hub. I understand the point of O-chains, but what can this offer that a standard freehub can't? Need to look deeper into how it works I guess...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano had a similar thing decades ago, but its catchy name escapes me (EDIT: it went by the rather unfortunate acronym FFS...). I think the theory is that by keeping the chain rolling it allows shifting even while not pedalling, which reduces the risk of munted chains & stuff from mash-shifts.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
No. A high engagement hub could make pedal kick back worse. It's all bike dependant and some are worse than others. If you want to know what all the fuss is a about go for a ride down a rough descent without a chain. If you can't tell the difference then you probably don't need one.