Newly Released Suspension & Components General

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Chinese Ti frames for $4500 with a fork :rolleyes:

The GMX is nice... but you can get a handmade custom Bearclaw Beau Jaxon with Ti or Carbon fork for $2700us ($3500) and they are very nice.

I know which one I would be looking at if I was in the market.

Yikes, didn’t realise they were charging that for a frame set. Only really looked at the wheels, comparing to the We Are One Union wheel set with i9 101 hubs, lifetime warranty is $2400RRP. Made in Canada. Looks like a bargain compared to the Curve but then you get along with Nextie rims ok at a fraction of that cost.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
They're still a Novatec hub with a Kinlin rim ordered from a catalogue and sold as a wheelset that they “designed” and “optimised” which the consumer pays a premium for.
You do realise that most manufacturing is done this way? Car manufacturers take components from ZF, Bendix, Bosch etc and suit them to their specifications. I don't see anything wrong with what Hunt is doing if indeed that is what they're doing and they're adding value by applying specific tweaks or design changes.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
...... with a Kinlin rim ordered from a catalogue and sold as a wheelset that they “designed” and “optimised” which the consumer pays a premium for.
So you are claiming... which rim?
Kinlin has nothing showing on their website that looks remotely like the hunt rim profile.
As noted by others, there are some brands that do what you describe above. However, Hunt is no longer in that category.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Some people get a lot of shit for putting enve stickers on their light bicycle rims where as these guys do the exact same thing and charge people for it.
Enve have that aura about them which adds a huge markup right off the bat and those US salaries aren't cheap either.
That is a big chunk of the pricetag right there.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
You do realise that most manufacturing is done this way? Car manufacturers take components from ZF, Bendix, Bosch etc and suit them to their specifications. I don't see anything wrong with what Hunt is doing if indeed that is what they're doing and they're adding value by applying specific tweaks or design changes.
But can you go to the manufacture website and buy them direct? You can go to farports right here and buy the same rim hunt are selling and get a dt swiss hub instead of a hunt branded novatec for the same price. A novatec hub will cost you $800~ Aud. You're paying for a sticker and a lifetime warranty for a rim that you could replace 2-3 times for cost difference.

So you are claiming... which rim?
Kinlin has nothing showing on their website that looks remotely like the hunt rim profile.
As noted by others, there are some brands that do what you describe above. However, Hunt is no longer in that category.
Kinlin XR31t here looks identical to the hunt aero wide. They even took the same rim profile picture from the kinlin website.

I have no skin in this at all, but don't kid yourself that Hunt anything more than a marketing company onselling catalogue wheels.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Bit harsh. The R&D companies like Enve do costs enormous amounts of money. Can't remember the exact details but they do thousands of prototypes before they get to an individual finished product. Factor in the warranties and the labour intensive carbon layup and everything made in the USA (which means they have to go through the proper carbon disposal environmental regulations rather than just dumping it into the Yangtze) and the prices suddenly don't seem so obscene imo. And no I don't have or ever plan to buy any of their products.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The Waltly fan club from here should start their own brand! They probably get more frames made!
Can't say I haven't thought about it. Put 20k ish into frames and a website with Facebook marketing. Once The first round of frames have sold run it like hunt etc where the customers deposit pays for the wholesale cost of the frame.

frenchman

Can't say I haven't thought about it. Put 20k ish into frames and a website with Facebook marketing. Once The first round of frames have sold run it like hunt etc where the customers deposit pays for the wholesale cost of the frame.
It's 5k into frames and 15k into marketing.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
And no I don't have or ever plan to buy any of their products.
I bought a set of their XC wheels back in about 2011-12 instead of a new bike that year, direct from Enve us as there was no Aussie importer at that time.
Enve have replaced 2 rims and sent me replacement spokes and nipples for both wheels. Which is pretty good CS.
I will never spend that money on wheels ever again but they are still going 100% today on light CX or bikepacking duties.

frenchman

You also have no proof
Ok man, don’t save yourself $500 -$1000 by buying direct from farsports.

I put a link in my reply to @bear the bear showing that the alloy rim they use is a Kinlin one and going to the farsports site you can buy the same carbon wheelsets without the logo (You'll even get DT swiss hubs for the same price!). There's nothing wrong with the hunt wheels, they source and onsell a good product but are even better at marketing. Many companies have been doing this for years, dmr, diety, halo but with a lot less marketing BS.

There's no point looking at it as if you've been gamed, you've got a cool sticker, lifetime warranty support (if the company lasts that long) and a cool insta photo they can repost of your ride. That's what the extra $500-$1000 per wheelset gets you. We've all been had at some point buying mountainbike parts, I bought a fucking crankbrothers product and I own 2 x renthal apex stems.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Would add to that that no one offering wheelsets they don't physically build from scratch themselves is doing anything other than just picking something off the rack they like from China / Vietnam. Even Hope don't make their own rims.

This video still cracks me up: How to make your own fake wheel company

Edit: probably help if I checked the history of this thread..

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's 5k into frames and 15k into marketing.
You forgot another $20k to pay the bike media to provide positive reviews of your product. I'm sure you'd have to pay to even get a review with a decent sized media outfit, plus an additional 'fee' for a good review.
Slightly off topic (in true RB style) I'd love to see some of the more prominent journos do a review on a range of bikes which had been disguised so that they were indistinguishable from each other without any of the marketing hype and give an honest review. I suspect without a handy press release and a pocket full of dollars they'd struggle to tell the difference between a Specialized and a Spot. /end sceptical rant.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
If you can prove that these companies make absolutely no material change to what's on the manufacturer's shelf and I'll buy theirs instead (funds notwithstanding!).

Interesting that you can buy them with DT Swiss hubs, where do they source their hubs and DT Swiss stickers from?