Newly Released Suspension & Components General

Flow-Rider

Burner
For real - I read that the other day and I am still confused as to how it works.
I think a lot of it is sales jargon, if you introduce something like foam inside a volume area, it's going to reduce the total volume no matter what. Adding foam would make it somewhat compressible depending on its density and pressure placed on it, so not as much ramp as a solid plastic spacer.

I'm struggling with that article / claim on first read. We see use of activated carbon in adsorption media in air quality control devices due to the high surface area / porosity etc. But .... how the hell can you increase the effective gas volume of a space by adding something solid (albeit porous) in there?
I can't see how it would work like they say either, my pee brain tells me it works similar to a damper but I'm not an engineer. I've tried foam spacers before as volume spacers back in the days when everyone used grease, and it did make the shock feel different.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The distinction is in the term adsorb (not absorb). Adsorb means the molecules cling to the material walls under pressure, and the higher the pressure, the more gas molecules cling to it. It basically means it will store more gas molecules inside the chamber under pressure than the fork would hold in an free/open volume. This is what reduces the ramp up.

I'd be interested to know how these cope if they cop an errant glob of grease though...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The distinction is in the term adsorb (not absorb). Adsorb means the molecules cling to the material walls under pressure, and the higher the pressure, the more gas molecules cling to it. It basically means it will store more gas molecules inside the chamber under pressure than the fork would hold in an free/open volume. This is what reduces the ramp up.

I'd be interested to know how these cope if they cop an errant glob of grease though...
I get the adsorption process but PV=nRT right so unless the air (gas) is changing state (to a liquid) then it must take up the same volume as before irrespective of whether it's stuck to a surface or not?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I get the adsorption process but PV=nRT right so unless the air (gas) is changing state (to a liquid) then it must take up the same volume as before irrespective of whether it's stuck to a surface or not?
I was just going with "the gist", you went all science'n'shit!

The gas volume must be able to change though surely, or the fork wouldn't be able to compress? The molecules just get more tightly packed as the fork is compressed. I would've thought the adsorbtion just attracted/collected some of the gas molecules a little easier than using physical compression to push them closer together?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
The gas volume must be able to change though surely, or the fork wouldn't be able to compress? The molecules just get more tightly packed as the fork is compressed. I would've thought the adsorbtion just attracted/collected some of the gas molecules a little easier than using physical compression to push them closer together?
Yeah - This is the part I struggle with. The 'adsorbing' must be able to somehow 'hide' the gas molecules from each other, or in other words allow them to be more tightly packed than if they are freely bumping up against each other. But then this additional 'space' that is freed up by the activated carbon must be larger than the space taken up by the carbon itself (and its non-carbon container) before it can have any net positive (negative?) effect.

Edit: Or, as you suggest, allow them to be packed together in the same space with less force?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The gas volume must be able to change though surely, or the fork wouldn't be able to compress?
Yes of course the volume changes as the fork compresses but as a result the pressure increases i.e. ramp up. Thus, I don't in my simple mind understand how (at the same temperature) a gas can have a lesser pressure (i.e. less ramp up) at the same (or actually less given the object inserted) volume?

They are basically advertising that this device effectively increases the air chamber volume to reduce ramp up and provide a more linear feel ... but my monkey brain doesn't understand how that's possible.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.