New bike time - suggestions?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If I had have seen this before buying my Bird I would be riding a blue Sentinel at the moment.
No need to be angry @caad9 :D I was super close to buying a Sentinel frame but decided it was too much bike. Once I made that decision I kept looking and found the Birds and I'm very happy with my decision.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No need to be angry @caad9 :D I was super close to buying a Sentinel frame but decided it was too much bike. Once I made that decision I kept looking and found the Birds and I'm very happy with my decision.
A short-shocked Sentinel would be the perfect Australian bike imo

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
The travel on the Sentinel can be reduced by shortening the shock stroke.
View attachment 390561

Then just put a 150mm fork and you have the same travel as the Scout but in a 29er package...
I saw that, too, would be a great bike if you stuck a shorter travel fork on it but might drop the bb too much

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A short-shocked Sentinel would be the perfect Australian bike imo
I'd argue the HA is a bit slack for most of our trails, but a lot of people seem to love it - so as long as I can install a reversed angleset to get the angles I want it's all good. :p

PJO

in me vL comy
I saw that, too, would be a great bike if you stuck a shorter travel fork on it but might drop the bb too much
I doubt you would notice. 10mm travel reduction in the front is only about 3-4mm of bottom bracket drop. 3mm is about the difference in sag height between 150mm and 140 rear travel (the 140mm travel being 3mm higher). It would all balance out quite alright as far as the numbers go.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'd argue the HA is a bit slack for most of our trails, but a lot of people seem to love it - so as long as I can install a reversed angleset to get the angles I want it's all good. :p
Slapping a shorter shock and fork in a bigger bike is not the solution if you want to make it something special.

Redesigned frame to sit somewhere between the Spur and the Scout, not a beefy as the 140-150 Scout but maybe a little bit more than the 120-120 Spur, then all the other measurements to suit where it slots in plonk in the middle of the trail category. IMO it needs to hit the target rather than being a bit of everything.

Spur 66° HA, Scout 64°, Sentinel 63.6°... ideally for the above, around the 65° mark.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The SA bloke who bought one of the other (4) Deore Spurs at the same time as mine may still have his.
Large, in the smoke colour, was for sale earlier this year but I didn't see it sold.

I'm off all week till Monday. Tomorrow looks good weather too.
The ol 9-5 Monday to Friday for me. Weekend looking wet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The ol 9-5 Monday to Friday for me. Weekend looking wet.
Are you not one of the work from home crew ? I thought it was only us Tradie/Labour chunts that had to go to work.

Come ride them, I can give them a hose off ;)

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Are you not one of the work from home crew ? I thought it was only us Tradie/Labour chunts that had to go to work.

Come ride them, I can give them a hose off ;)
I actually do work like actual job work at home. Did I get it wrong. :(

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
But if they did do a new Smuggler (or whatever) then their product line up would be almost a big an overlapping mess as Santa Cruz's is currently.

Plus how would they spec it? Wouldn't get an X2, be Float X and it'd probably lose that 36 up the front too for further product differentiation (product managers have to show they're doing something). At which point you'd just have a Spur with a piggyback shock. I just don't see the point unless the Spur is actually a bit of a fragile XC weenie. Which all accounts suggest it absolutely isn't.

I think you lot are spending too much time staring at big scary numbers on spec sheets and perhaps not appreciating that what you need is actually... a Sentinel.

;)
IMO - a Smuggler would keep the 36 as the Sentinel will likely have/move up to a 38 anyway. It's the 120/130mm fork travel limit on the Spur that leaves it a bit undergunned for fork options (for longevity under a heavy rider) IMO.

The Sentinel I had was a fine bike, but more squish than I needed. A 130mm rear with a 65deg HA, 150mm fork - Recipe for success I'm telling ya!

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
29” trail bike. 130-140 rear travel. $4k or less for frame. Prefer carbon, consider alloy. Got a new 210x55 shock can be changed to 210x50.

3-6 month wait on a Propain bit over budget, payment up front and they want $750 to ship QLD to SA! I have queried if that is an error.
Nukeproof Reactor 290. Good price but apparently climbing is a bit meh from reviews.
Revel Rascal. Bit over budget. Just don’t love looks or colours.
RAAW Jib?? The Madonna is bloody excellent, I can only assume the little brother has similar traits.