New bike time - suggestions?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Righto, been given permission to buy a new bike this year for the big 40th and was down to get a Range C1 before being completely shafted by one of the retailers.

Since then I have been completely lost as to what bike to go for and now looking for some suggestions.

Whilst I will have just the one bike at this stage it needs to be able to race the odd enduro and handle harder downhill type tracks so not after anything with smaller travel.

Things on my hit list currently are the Nukeproof Giga MX/29, Transition Spire, '22 Pivot Firebird or perhaps even a Forbidden dreadnaught possibly. Whilst the cost of some of these are getting up there I am certainly not looking at going full xx1 type stuff.

For those who have ridden any of the above let me know why I should/shouldn't get that bike or if there are some other models I should be looking at then let me know, I just don't want to be 41 by the time it arrives.....unlike the Norco

Dangals

Likes Dirt
I feel your pain. I’ve waited 6+ months for a frame that should be here already, but may not be here for 12 months…and I’ve missed the boat on everything else.
I know I can get a few things relatively quickly with a Firebird in the next 6 weeks or so and a Spire in the next 2-3 months. No idea on timing for other things but considering I put money down on the range like 5 months ago another couple is not too bad. Just don't want to wait 9-12 months for something there is no guarantee when it will get here

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Dreadnought is versatile af. Get that, you won't be disappointed*

Good shortlist though, would be tempted by a Spire or new Firebird too, they're meant to ride like much smaller / lighter bikes than they are.

*possibility of confirmation bias in response

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Bird Aeris 9 are in stock depending on the colour and size you want.

@komdotkom loves his Aether 9 and someone else on here has the Aeris 9 and loves it. Lifetime warranty on the frame and very highly regarded customer service as well.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Dreadnought is a looker….Spire supposedly quite versatile…those two get more points as they are Dorado approved….rumours of a new Megatower too soonish (internet rumours…lol)…

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bird Aeris 9 are in stock depending on the colour and size you want.

@komdotkom loves his Aether 9 and someone else on here has the Aeris 9 and loves it. Lifetime warranty on the frame and very highly regarded customer service as well.
@LPG is the Australian rep for Bird, I'm sure he'll push you into one.
I'm in Melbourne, your can take mine for a hack if you like

Dangals

Likes Dirt

Good shortlist though, would be tempted by a Spire or new Firebird too, they're meant to ride like much smaller / lighter bikes than they are.

Yes the Forbidden does look good and has been of interest from when Buchanan was smashing his Druid.

I had read the Spire and Firebird ride well for their sizes and retaining good downhill performance without being complete tanks to ride uphill.

Bird Aeris 9
Not really across that brand but will give it a look - thanks for the suggestion.

Dorado approved
I won't lie the idea of being able to turn one into more of a park bike with some dual crowns is mighty tempting and get two bikes out of one. Someone with a Spire is doing just that this week at Cannonball and pretty sure I saw the same with a Forbidden on their Insta feed as well.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I feel your pain. I’ve waited 6+ months for a frame that should be here already, but may not be here for 12 months…and I’ve missed the boat on everything else.
We paid way more than our budget for the wife's new bike post-xmas.
Just went looking to try sizing, and they had one that fitted in stock but 2 tier levels above what we were looking at.
The shop guy delved into the system and started giving eta's on other spec levels, August 2022, mid- 2023 (This was the one we were after).
Sucked up the price difference, the wife tried haggling (was funny to watch), then walked out with a new ride

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RM Altitude?
I'm biased but I'm loving mine as a big bike that pedals well. Ride-9 is more useful than I thought in allowing me to set it up for different trails.
The price to spec isn't the best with RM but it's not totally out of whack either

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I absolutely would recommend the Dreadnought. And they're in stock at their Melbourne based retailer.

Spire was also on my initial list but super delayed on delivery.
The 154mm travel performs well.
Not keen on the Pivot due to SuperDuper Boost.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Righto, been given permission to buy a new bike this year for the big 40th and was down to get a Range C1 before being completely shafted by one of the retailers.

Since then I have been completely lost as to what bike to go for and now looking for some suggestions.

Whilst I will have just the one bike at this stage it needs to be able to race the odd enduro and handle harder downhill type tracks so not after anything with smaller travel.

Things on my hit list currently are the Nukeproof Giga MX/29, Transition Spire, '22 Pivot Firebird or perhaps even a Forbidden dreadnaught possibly. Whilst the cost of some of these are getting up there I am certainly not looking at going full xx1 type stuff.

For those who have ridden any of the above let me know why I should/shouldn't get that bike or if there are some other models I should be looking at then let me know, I just don't want to be 41 by the time it arrives.....unlike the Norco
Buy all the bikes!!! Great short list.

I’ve got a Transition Sentinel and if I was looking for something bigger, a Spire would be top of my list. Having said that, @moorey ’s horror story re wait times is somewhat related to Transition… so, maybe wait times will push out more than you expect for that one.

I think they’re a bit over priced but have you considered a Commencal Meta AM?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
RM Altitude?
True, forgot about that, certainly a solid bike. Will suss their availability out.

I absolutely would recommend the Dreadnought. And they're in stock at their Melbourne based retailer.

Spire was also on my initial list but super delayed on delivery.
The 154mm travel performs well.
Not keen on the Pivot due to SuperDuper Boost.
Is it just Summit that does them in Melbourne? They only have an XL listed online and I'm likely more of a L guy looking at their sizes.

Buy all the bikes!!! Great short list.

I’ve got a Transition Sentinel and if I was looking for something bigger, a Spire would be top of my list. Having said that, @moorey ’s horror story re wait times is somewhat related to Transition… so, maybe wait times will push out more than you expect for that one.

I think they’re a bit over priced but have you considered a Commencal Meta AM?
I know at worst I can get a Spire around June/July directly through Supersports (unless they have been pushed back further) as I put my name down for one with Rod from his stock before xmas but might be able to get one through a dealer before that.

No I hadn't considered the Commencal actually as last time I looked stuff was out of stock with no solid ETA's but might give that another look to see if it has changed. Solid bike from what I understand