Mystic MTB - Bright

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The park operation will be leased to Elevation Parks- our sister bike park operational company.

There is a long history and a lot of work gone into reaching this point, but in short this model will give the park the best chance to thrive going forward.

So the park is now going to be ran for profit?

dirtart

Likes Bikes
It’s not viable for any organisation to run at a loss for long, which has been the challenge for the park in the past.

If you're asking if the park is going to be run as a commercial entity, then yes. This is the approach that was agreed upon as noted previously.

We are confident that with the experience of our team, we can significantly improve the riding experience at Mystic. We intend to do so while providing better value for money in any way we possible can.

So the park is now going to be ran for profit?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
It’s not viable for any organisation to run at a loss for long, which has been the challenge for the park in the past.

If you're asking if the park is going to be run as a commercial entity, then yes. This is the approach that was agreed upon as noted previously.

We are confident that with the experience of our team, we can significantly improve the riding experience at Mystic. We intend to do so while providing better value for money in any way we possible can.
Does that happen to include plans for a chairlift?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What about reducing the cost of a day pass?

If happily chuck $5 in as I'm rarely there, $15 is a bit steep for the occasional ride, especial as I'm riding my fat arse up as well.

dirtart

Likes Bikes
Our current plan is to retain access fees as they are, while investing significantly into new and improved trails, improved amenities, and additional benefits such as a full time bike patrol/medical service.

While we would all like to reduce or remove access fees, the reality is that it isn’t possible if we want to deliver a high quality experience.

We’ve got a few things in the works that will work to provide a range of new, cost effective membership options to help people ride for less.

What about reducing the cost of a day pass?

If happily chuck $5 in as I'm rarely there, $15 is a bit steep for the occasional ride, especial as I'm riding my fat arse up as well.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Is there a way of securing the remaining trees on the hill? Are there plans for them to be logged soon like the rest of the place has been? I'm all for new tracks, but riding in logged wastelands is a bit shit. It also means the trails get absolutely baked in the sun and don't retain any sort of moisture.

dirtart

Likes Bikes
We are working through the harvest scheduling now as we work on new trail plans. We will do our best to work around harvest plans while ensuring there is a whole lot more quality trail on offer. The reality is much of the existing trail network will be logged in the next 1-2 years. On a positive note though, pine trees grow quickly, and then the park has 25+ years before the next major harvest.

Is there a way of securing the remaining trees on the hill? Are there plans for them to be logged soon like the rest of the place has been? I'm all for new tracks, but riding in logged wastelands is a bit shit. It also means the trails get absolutely baked in the sun and don't retain any sort of moisture.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you're asking if the park is going to be run as a commercial entity, then yes.

I was quite clearly asking that, you were being unnecessarily evasive. Either way I've no stakes in this, I was just curious what the vague terms actually meant. I am looking forward to seeing good things for the Bright community and riders that head there.

Does that happen to include plans for a chairlift?

Surely it's only a matter of time before the chairlifts around Australia's ski fields need to be repurposed.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Replaced or removed?
Only removed at this stage - mount p is going from two lifts (the ancient two and old three) to one fast-loader six. Three will be removed next summer and new lift installed.

This season will be slow going with even more lovely queues than usual... maybe. Word is patronage will be well down this season due to cost of living.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Only removed at this stage - mount p is going from two lifts (the ancient two and old three) to one fast-loader six. Three will be removed next summer and new lift installed.

This season will be slow going with even more lovely queues than usual... maybe. Word is patronage will be well down this season due to cost of living.

That does sound like the Australian way. I'm sure this season they will proclaim the wonders of this new queue busting power lift and bump lift prices (saw the epic pass has gone up again for this year), then next year install the new lifts and praise the queue busting extra lifts...and bump up lift prices.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
You watch ???

A good insight to subscriptions.

I don't usually watch long, drawn out videos but I did watch this.

Start at 0:23 seconds.

Ha - no, didn't get the term from there, but you're right it's a good watch. Summary: short term shareholder demands = enshitification.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
That does sound like the Australian way. I'm sure this season they will proclaim the wonders of this new queue busting power lift and bump lift prices (saw the epic pass has gone up again for this year), then next year install the new lifts and praise the queue busting extra lifts...and bump up lift prices.
To be fair it's a major engineering exercise. They basically had to build a whole new road up to the top to get all the concrete trucks up to pour the footings, and all of that in an national park with all the oversight that requires. The whole site is also inaccessible for at least four to five months, so I don't think they could have done it all in one off season.

That's not to say Vail won't profiteer at every opportunity, although I don't think our season passes cost more this year at the early bird rate. If they did it wasn't huge.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Bright with all its troubles is setting a new standard in charging the rider.
Most other places are built by volunteers or thru govt grants.
I dont really understand how it evolved ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
To be fair it's a major engineering exercise. They basically had to build a whole new road up to the top to get all the concrete trucks up to pour the footings, and all of that in an national park with all the oversight that requires. The whole site is also inaccessible for at least four to five months, so I don't think they could have done it all in one off season.

That's not to say Vail won't profiteer at every opportunity, although I don't think our season passes cost more this year at the early bird rate. If they did it wasn't huge.

One of my favourite ski fields in japan (Iwatake) is installing a new gondola (in theory for next season). They will remove the old gondola after the new one is finished. It was interesting to see the construction progress as it will run quite close to the current gondola. I had high hopes of bombing the cleared line but a lack of snow while I was there put a big wet blanket on that urge.

I think the increase was about $50.

Last edited:

climberman

Likes Dirt

For the love of god please let us never use the Mt P double for anything ever again. Oldest operating chair in the country I think.