Mystic MTB - Bright

dirtart

Likes Bikes
There won’t be self shuttling in the park. There’s a number of reasons for this, many of which don’t sit with us. From our end though, being transparent, there really isn’t a manageable, safe, and functional way to do so. Particularly if we want to actually significantly grow and improve the park and trail system.

Whats the odds of paid self shuttles model returning, and the thoughts behind it?

climberman

Likes Dirt
As far as we are aware there is really only two parks globally that have a lift with the primary purpose of MTB-

Christchurch Adventure Park (NZ)
Spider Mountain (Texas, USA)

We are working on a couple of other lift assisted MTB focused operations, but nothing in Australia. The Whitsundays Skyway project will have a bike park and gondola, but it’s still primarily a general tourist site (like the Skyline parks in NZ).

A lift may be on the cards one day in Mystic (could also be a ground based lift), but it’s not in the current plans.
Time to bring the future forward :D

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Dunno, but MTB can be all year, skiing is Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep in Oz, and shuttles suck compared to a chairlift, it's not even vaguely comparable.
Mount Buller used to spin their chairlift allowing for 25+ runs a day...
These days on the blue bus, with half a millions km on the odometer that struggles to get out of 1st gear, you will get about 7-8..

Jpez

Down on the left!
Time to bring the future forward :D
Just imagine the grumbling from people when they are asked to pay $1000 a year in membership fees because some people don’t like busses.

As a side note I know people love to hate on mystic. Can’t self shuttle, fees are too much, hero/shred is boring. Don’t disagree there or whatever but this new move is really positive and I’m excited for its future. VIC sucks for decent riding. Or at least decent riding not 5-6 hours drive away so this can only be a good thing.
Im happy to pay my yearly membership.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Queenstown is another that doesn't cater for skiing ( a heap of other stuff up top for non-riders though).
Keep adding it to the list, I'll tell my wife I need to prove myself right and she will shake her head and I'll think I have freedom
Just imagine the grumbling from people when they are asked to pay $1000 a year in membership fees because some people don’t like busses.

As a side note I know people love to hate on mystic. Can’t self shuttle, fees are too much, hero/shred is boring. Don’t disagree there or whatever but this new move is really positive and I’m excited for its future. VIC sucks for decent riding. Or at least decent riding not 5-6 hours drive away so this can only be a good thing.
I'm a fan of Bright/Mystic. It's one of the only places on the mainland where you can ride from a town that has everything you want for a family holiday. I've been there a couple times with my wife and son when he was 1-2 years old and it is the only place where my wife is happy and she doesn't feel like she is just there to look after the little one while I ride. Bright isn't cheap and it's near 7hrs drive but we always have an awesome time and only regret not going for an extra day or 2.

I feel like Narooma might be an equivalent in some ways but I haven't been there yet.

climberman

Likes Dirt

I catch buses most working days, they are fine. I just don't take my bike on em!
Shuttling is always a game of 'race to get to the bottom to get place on bus/in 4WD, sit there for 20 mins til bus fills, drive up which takes forever, unload bikes, blah'

A 'liffetime' in a chair queue is about a standard to long wait shuttling.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I catch buses most working days, they are fine. I just don't take my bike on em!
Shuttling is always a game of 'race to get to the bottom to get place on bus/in 4WD, sit there for 20 mins til bus fills, drive up which takes forever, unload bikes, blah'

A 'liffetime' in a chair queue is about a standard to long wait shuttling.
Yeah I hear you. It’s frustrating. I’ve had a single day at Maydena between family commitments and there weren’t many people in the park and they were running 1 maybe two busses. I was waiting 40min for a few until Reece took pity on me and ran me up in the ute. I got 4 runs. Didn’t quite feel like I got my moneys worth.
And when the buses at Bright get out of sync or something or the driver goes of for a smoke or a chat and there’s a bus full of hot sweaty riders sitting for 20min. Yeah that shit needs to be sorted asap.
I’d love a chair just like everyone but obviously it’s not viable to do.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d love a chair just like everyone but obviously it’s not viable to do.
Surely the best candidate for a chair is Buller. It’s existing infrastructure in working condition that’s been used for bikes before. It runs end to end from the trails. I don’t know I ever managed 25+ runs like Mattyp above, but definitely got in significantly more than on the shuttles.

It would be interesting to know whether it wasn’t economically viable to run the chair with the amount of rider using it, or whether BSL just wanted to handball the whole MTB operation off to an outside operator. You’d only imagine that with the increased popularity of MTB, the stupid amount you can charge for services these days, and sheer number of people up there in the green season it’d only be more economically viable now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Surely the best candidate for a chair is Buller. It’s existing infrastructure in working condition that’s been used for bikes before. It runs end to end from the trails. I don’t know I ever managed 25+ runs like Mattyp above, but definitely got in significantly more than on the shuttles.

It would be interesting to know whether it wasn’t economically viable to run the chair with the amount of rider using it, or whether BSL just wanted to handball the whole MTB operation off to an outside operator. You’d only imagine that with the increased popularity of MTB, the stupid amount you can charge for services these days, and sheer number of people up there in the green season it’d only be more economically viable now.

I’m sure Simon French has crunched the numbers. Maybe he could lend some insight about how possible/viable it is or isn’t in a MTB specific application. I’ve heard him say they’d love to do it but maybe in the future etc.
@dirtart

dirtart

Likes Bikes
I’m pretty confident that we’ll see the first MTB specific lift operation in Australia within the next 5 years. Beyond the not insignificant capex costs, there is a whole host of compliance and regulatory costs for the operation, which make it extra hard. At the right site though, with the right trail network we believe it is viable.

We have looked at lift systems for a number of projects both in Australia and overseas. This includes ground based lifts, which are actually a pretty compelling option.

A lot would need to change at Mystic and in the broader MTB market to make a lift a viable option. In saying that though, surf parks are securing massive investment with a similar level of capital requirements and their business models don’t look amazing from an outsiders perspective.

While it’s not on the cards for Mystic right now, we definitely wouldn’t rule it out completely!

Cheers,
Frenchy

I’m sure Simon French has crunched the numbers. Maybe he could lend some insight about how possible/viable it is or isn’t in a MTB specific application. I’ve heard him say they’d love to do it but maybe in the future etc.
@dirtart

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I’m pretty confident that we’ll see the first MTB specific lift operation in Australia within the next 5 years. Beyond the not insignificant capex costs, there is a whole host of compliance and regulatory costs for the operation, which make it extra hard. At the right site though, with the right trail network we believe it is viable.

We have looked at lift systems for a number of projects both in Australia and overseas. This includes ground based lifts, which are actually a pretty compelling option.

A lot would need to change at Mystic and in the broader MTB market to make a lift a viable option. In saying that though, surf parks are securing massive investment with a similar level of capital requirements and their business models don’t look amazing from an outsiders perspective.

While it’s not on the cards for Mystic right now, we definitely wouldn’t rule it out completely!

Cheers,
Frenchy
No doubt ground based would also have much lower running costs. I don't know how much a chairlift or T-bar/poma would cost to run per hour, but would be pretty certain the little 'uns would require far less traffic for viability compared to a chairlift.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

Fairly sure the Buller chairlift was shutdown by WorkSafe... The bikes and riders were being loaded in a spot where the chairs would not slow down, as well as the fact you had to have the bike sitting on your lap which meant the safety bar could not come down, it was actually pretty sketchy if someone hit the e-stop on the lift....
I've often thought that Hotham is probably best set out for MTB trails... The flat road along the top gives access to a large area of Terrain to drop into the bottom of Snake Gully below... The tracks could funnel to the main Village chair from both sides and you'd only have to run one lift...
The fact that it is run by Vail Resorts, who already have MTB tracks at Falls Creek, and I believe also do MTB stuff in the US? You would think they would be all over this considering how short, and shit, the snow season here is.

LPG

likes thicc birds

No doubt ground based would also have much lower running costs. I don't know how much a chairlift or T-bar/poma would cost to run per hour, but would be pretty certain the little 'uns would require far less traffic for viability compared to a chairlift.
It could be pretty cheap compared to a chair and less safety approvals provided it is done over the right terrain. Bikes could basically be towed up. Problem is getting a mechanism right to attach, detach and balance support as you climb.

It would also be funny to see the people who fall off just like t bars!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I listened to a podcast with the owners of Bikepark Wales and they discussed the topic of a chair lift at that park. They were saying that a chair lift would cost 10 million pounds, it can't run in windy conditions and it's not much chop to ride on when it's wet (compared to shuttle vans). Plus, it needs two weeks downtime for maintenance per year and that means you either don't have any uplift for that time or you have to runs vans, which you wouldn't want to have hanging around just for two weeks of use. They mentioned that Whistler has 30k skiers in a day while they only have 80k riders in a whole year and they reckon the economics don't add up as you would never pay it off.
Not sure what Mystic would get but the UK has a pretty big population to pull from.