mid travel 29er suggestions

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
This is how all good new bike purchases begin, I haven't been riding, you know what would help - A NEW BIKE!
I am eyeing off a Cotic Jeht for later in the year, will be a very interested onlooker if you go that way
So you haven't been riding then...

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m riding .....
But thinking all the time - very dangerous territory for a man with time and a ( limited but capable ) budget in mind .
not driving to work for a year has helped , doing slightly more exercise has helped .
NBD is always a great day .

Choices tho are many , it’s the stock situation which we all have to get around - may resolve quicker than expected .

online / direct to consumer bikes are well represented - and okay value .
Oh and chain reaction just sent an email advising - “ your bike is in stock “

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I’m riding .....
But thinking all the time - very dangerous territory for a man with time and a ( limited but capable ) budget in mind .
not driving to work for a year has helped , doing slightly more exercise has helped .
NBD is always a great day .

Choices tho are many , it’s the stock situation which we all have to get around - may resolve quicker than expected .

online / direct to consumer bikes are well represented - and okay value .
Oh and chain reaction just sent an email advising - “ your bike is in stock “
Really depends on your budget though. Very few choices if your budget is under 4k for example

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes
but , giant trance x is a good choice , the siskiu/ polygon , some of the hard tail options
- aggressive hard tail is the now term - canyon stoic is a deadset bargain , nukeproof scout .

But in the more ‘ special ‘ realm budget really needs to be around 6-8 k . That’s getting good fit out and proven performer .
I don’t need a bike - but the geometry and tech has moved on from my older bikes . the newer frames do ride really well - even if not a hand built raised in a convent virgin frame .

As a comparison I rode my fatbike on the weekend - not really a fair comparo - but here goes .
its fast enough on flat ground , descending is ...sketcky at speed , climbs okay .
twisty work thru the trees is ..exciting..
but it’s fun .
a new ‘ downcountry’ ( punch me in the nuts now ) would eat it alive , not to mention a new gen enduro .
New bikes climb well and descend even better .

Even with a numpty on board !

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Do you have a budget in mind?
What is this! I come here for support, and you start throwing dirty words around!
(Realistically, anything between $0 and say $9k YOLO)

I am eyeing off a Cotic Jeht for later in the year, will be a very interested onlooker if you go that way
From some initial email corro with the guys, was pretty impressed. Would really like to ride one first. But not likely to happen. Could take a punt.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A 10k bike is only $200 a week over 2 years - do you spend $200 a week on crap you don't need ?
if willing to spend /save $5k , its only $100 a week on crap you didn't really need

seeeeeee, I'm helping
I like how you are allowing for 2 x $10K bikes over 2 years, that's being ahead of the game

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
A 10k bike is only $200 a week over 2 years - do you spend $200 a week on crap you don't need ?
if willing to spend /save $5k , its only $100 a week on crap you didn't really need

seeeeeee, I'm helping
Well done. This makes everyone feel so much better. Part upgrades must work out to be about $18.31 per week - Winning.

It is also cheaper than owning a plane or dragster.

cammas

Seamstress

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Still got analysis paralysis. Sitting on the fence this long is likely to result in splinters...

Ibis ripmo (as fuck!)

Some dis this frame shape. But I like it. Alloy colour is sweet.

DVO build is the value (boutique) buy for sure. Topaz or Jade rear, Diamond fork, deore drivetrain, for 5500 (plus for coil). Support of local dealer. 7 year warranty. Coming off a snapped frame that gives me some comfort.

Banshee prime

Damn I like this frame! Ano black or raw. Both are . Industrial looking, no bs frameset.

Looks even more solid than the ripmo. Can also run coils.

Build would come out a bit higher than ripmo, but have better parts. Would spring for a mezzer fork, and a hand built dt 350 wheelset. Not sure if I can get a frame without the dpx2 shock (which I'd replace with dvo). I heard the fox works ok, but I don't have the tools to service these, and past fox float shock was shithouse. Dvo are super easy to work on at home.

Only 4 years warranty. Dealer is not local to me.

Others?!?
I think I'm off the Deviate. Can't justify almost 5k for a frameset alone (no shock). Idea seems cool, if I could ride one it might swing it, and if local support might swing it.

Sweet UK steel (is reel)
Again, like the look of these. But lack of test ride and lack of local support putting me off. Frameset are actually quite reasonably priced for hand welded reynolds steel.

Other alloy?
Why? When above is so nice.

Other fancy crabon...
Yeti sb130 - too much $$. Frameset over 5k. Maybe if I could get a non-turq frameset on its own? Would that be less than 4k? Prob not.
Similar story with other carbon frames.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It will likely come down to your riding conditions. Prime is a better descender than the Ripmo (likely not by much) but the Ripmo is a better climber/trail bike.

Be honest with yourself about what you most like about riding.