mid travel 29er suggestions

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Subscribed.
Thinking of a short-mid travel 29er to complement the HT in the next 6 months or so.
Don't need a lot of travel (120mm or so each end), so more on the XC-end of trail.
Had a look at all of the suggestions here and really liking the look of some of them, particularly the Banshees.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run a Topaz on my V2 Prime and it’s sweet. So much plusher than the Monarch+ that it came with but also has a more supportive mid range.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I like the Topaz, availability of parts, and the ability to rebuild at home. Also seems to be the same shock as the Suntour TriAir (which can come in a bit cheaper). Just not sure they fit the v3 Prime frames with the piggyback.

(edit) Scratch that: As per Wake Jake's comment, I found an mtbr thread noting that the Topaz T3 fits ok, but the Topaz 2 does not. This is for Phantom, but assume Prime should also be ok.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
For us that actually need to budget I'm quite tempted with with the spec on the Merida 140 700 for next year. Especially when you compare it to, say, the spec of an alloy Sight for the same price...

Rorschach

For us that actually need to budget I'm quite tempted with with the spec on the Merida 140 700 for next year. Especially when you compare it to, say, the spec of an alloy Sight for the same price...
Flow really liked the ally Meridas - put it on my list for sure

DMan

Flow really liked the ally Meridas - put it on my list for sure

And at $3800 it's what a frame is worth with some of those "boutique" brands...

Rorschach

And at $3800 it's what a frame is worth with some of those "boutique" brands...
Hard to pass up, despite Merida not having the prestige of some other brands, mainstream or not.
Probably doesn't help (or does, depending on your viewpoint) you can't get them in the US, so a fair few places can't review them

DMan

Hard to pass up, despite Merida not having the prestige of some other brands, mainstream or not.
Probably doesn't help (or does, depending on your viewpoint) you can't get them in the US, so a fair few places can't review them
Lol. If not having the prestige keeps them affordable, then that suits me!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
A mate had a Merida hardtail a few years back. Was really well made. Welding and machining was spot-on, and can confirm the paint must've been pretty tough too - because ol' mate dumped in hard into the ground a fair few times and it barely ever showed a scratch!

dirtdad

Those Meridas are chock full of good stuff for the money! Wonder what the stock levels are like this year?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
That's the million dollar question. Very limited from what I've found
Stock issues still obviously, but the Siskiu T8 or Rift Zone 29 3 both look like great options for <$3.5k too if you’re looking for options.

dirtdad

Now I'm less than 90% sure on a banshee. More like 60%. Kind of keen on some UK steel (is real) like the Cotic Jeht someone mentioned above, or a Starling Murmur.

Dammit I'm a flake.

Also, warranty frame for my Mondraker Foxy has apparently shipped. Hopefully here soon. No idea which model they are giving me. But it means I will have a 140mm 27.5 trail bike back in the stable shortly. This is its own new bike day. Fresh frameset! Could always whack an angleset in the front to slacken it a deg or 2. Then add a Mattoc Pro to up my front travel by 10-20mm.... It'd be like grandfathers axe (full original - only replaced both wheels, F/R shocks, full drivetrain, and frame).

Argh! Decisions.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now I'm less than 90% sure on a banshee. More like 60%. Kind of keen on some UK steel (is real) like the Cotic Jeht someone mentioned above, or a Starling Murmur.

Dammit I'm a flake.

Also, warranty frame for my Mondraker Foxy has apparently shipped. Hopefully here soon. No idea which model they are giving me. But it means I will have a 140mm 27.5 trail bike back in the stable shortly. This is its own new bike day. Fresh frameset! Could always whack an angleset in the front to slacken it a deg or 2. Then add a Mattoc Pro to up my front travel by 10-20mm.... It'd be like grandfathers axe (full original - only replaced both wheels, F/R shocks, full drivetrain, and frame).

Argh! Decisions.
Stanton
Frameset is reasonable price - shipping is okay - Availability is good - as in March 2021

* no , i haven't been looking : )

dirtdad

Cotic seems to be March 2021 as well for their Taiwan built Jeht. Starling seem to build more on demand, and have 12 week lead-time. So maybe more into April for a Starling. Pipedream Full Moxie was another possibility, their site read like they had stock? I reached out to Production Privee by email for dates on a new round of Shan No.5's, but haven't heard back. I'm waaay overthinking a new build, because I haven't been riding enough.

DMan

Cotic seems to be March 2021 as well for their Taiwan built Jeht. Starling seem to build more on demand, and have 12 week lead-time. So maybe more into April for a Starling. Pipedream Full Moxie was another possibility, their site read like they had stock? I reached out to Production Privee by email for dates on a new round of Shan No.5's, but haven't heard back. I'm waaay overthinking a new build, because I haven't been riding enough.
Do you have a budget in mind?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is how all good new bike purchases begin, I haven't been riding, you know what would help - A NEW BIKE!
I am eyeing off a Cotic Jeht for later in the year, will be a very interested onlooker if you go that way