Little Things You Love

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'm amazed that the tiny cameras on phones take as good photos as they do.
Throw in the big distances of space and you can only expect blurs.
I've found with the addition of an ultrapod or mini-tripod and the freedom you get with certain camera apps, my phone is now outperforming my old Olympus Pen-F in almost everything I shoot (with the exception of zoom photography).

It's a little bit bittersweet as I love the Olympus but it does make travel a lot lighter.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've found with the addition of an ultrapod or mini-tripod and the freedom you get with certain camera apps, my phone is now outperforming my old Olympus Pen-F in almost everything I shoot (with the exception of zoom photography).

It's a little bit bittersweet as I love the Olympus but it does make travel a lot lighter.
Mrs has an Olympus 5060 which still does all that is needed. Coupled with some schwanky lens and it is still a pretty handy camera.
Apparently it can also do IR and I'd like to fiddle with that one day too.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Mrs has an Olympus 5060 which still does all that is needed. Coupled with some schwanky lens and it is still a pretty handy camera.
Apparently it can also do IR and I'd like to fiddle with that one day too.
Apparently Olympus are getting out of the camera game, which is a bit sad although I'm hoping that might mean I'll be able to pick up a compatible big-arse telephoto lens on the cheap.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Has anyone tried a mirrorless SLR camera? My wife wants an EOS RP (or whatever Canon are about to release next) as she has a few nice USM lenses for her current camera (Canon 6D).

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Apparently Olympus are getting out of the camera game, which is a bit sad although I'm hoping that might mean I'll be able to pick up a compatible big-arse telephoto lens on the cheap.
It is shame. They did some nice cameras in their time. It has always been difficult to find attachments for the 5060 as they seems to have changed how they mount to the camera. The one you find isn't the one you are looking for.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
There are some astonishingly good photos being taken on phones these days including astrophotography. Have a look on CSIRO's blog. I am committed to my big heavy cumbersome set up and I know sometimes how to drive it. Nothing like toting 20kg of camera gear in a backpack on a 20km hike. Just in case you took the wrong lens!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Has anyone tried a mirrorless SLR camera? My wife wants an EOS RP (or whatever Canon are about to release next) as she has a few nice USM lenses for her current camera (Canon 6D).
Honestly there's almost no reason to get something with a mirror assembly these days. I had a Sony A7ii, now on a A6500 (crop sensor, smaller) and they're great. Had always been on Canon before the A7ii - went through 350D, 40D, 5D, 1DmkIII, 6D before moving to Sony. EVFs are way better than they used to be and you get used to them quickly.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Honestly there's almost no reason to get something with a mirror assembly these days. I had a Sony A7ii, now on a A6500 (crop sensor, smaller) and they're great. Had always been on Canon before the A7ii - went through 350D, 40D, 5D, 1DmkIII, 6D before moving to Sony. EVFs are way better than they used to be and you get used to them quickly.
I dunno. I'm starting to think mirrorless are going to be a bit like Minidisc. A great idea but unfortunately doomed because they're sandwiched between two vastly more popular things.

My Pen-F is mirrorless and I love it to bits but sadly my iPhone Pro outperforms it in most areas now - especially when it comes to convenience.
The iPhone obviously falls short when it comes to anything requiring a telephoto lens but then that's where your traditional Canon and Nikon SLRs have the advantage. Professional photographers will always plump for a big-arse you-beaut SLR from either of the big 2 whereas the casual market is well catered for by phones these days leaving the mirrorless market a bit of a wasteland. Olympus and Sony were dominating it for a few years with some really good designs but now there's only Sony left, I think.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Professional photographers will always plump for a big-arse you-beaut SLR from either of the big 2 whereas the casual market is well catered for by phones these days leaving the mirrorless market a bit of a wasteland. Olympus and Sony were dominating it for a few years with some really good designs but now there's only Sony left, I think.
Sony, Canon, Nikon all have professional and prosumer-level mirrorless bodies with full-frame sensors that equal or rival their SLR counterparts. Go to any of a bajillion weddings on a given weekend and you'll see Sonys in abundance both in photography and videography.

Not sure where a mirror assembly makes for an advantage over mirrorless when using telephoto lenses, if anything it's the opposite because the rear element can be closer to the sensor reducing overall lens length for the same focal length - my Tamron 70-180f/2.8 is the same size as my old Canon 24-70 f/2.8 was.

Phone photography is definitely a monster, but it's a barrier to entry to enthusiast photography that eats the entry-level compact/point-and-shoot market, not the mid-upper range markets where people will always start from the basis of needing a dedicated camera.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Sony, Canon, Nikon all have professional and prosumer-level mirrorless bodies with full-frame sensors that equal or rival their SLR counterparts. Go to any of a bajillion weddings on a given weekend and you'll see Sonys in abundance both in photography and videography.

Not sure where a mirror assembly makes for an advantage over mirrorless when using telephoto lenses, if anything it's the opposite because the rear element can be closer to the sensor reducing overall lens length for the same focal length - my Tamron 70-180f/2.8 is the same size as my old Canon 24-70 f/2.8 was.

Phone photography is definitely a monster, but it's a barrier to entry to enthusiast photography that eats the entry-level compact/point-and-shoot market, not the mid-upper range markets where people will always start from the basis of needing a dedicated camera.
I suppose I'm going off my personal experience with lens-shopping for my Olympus and my father's (keen nature photographer) old-school preference for SLRs with minimum 800mm lenses.

I'm in agreement with all the arguments in favour of mirrorless versus SLR but I can't help shake the feeling that given the expense involved when you go to the professional end of the market, people will tend to go all-in and get the larger units but then I don't know enough about the market to be able to speak definitively on the subject.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I'm in agreement with all the arguments in favour of mirrorless versus SLR but I can't help shake the feeling that given the expense involved when you go to the professional end of the market, people will tend to go all-in and get the larger units but then I don't know enough about the market to be able to speak definitively on the subject.
Situation makes sense with Olympus because the main selling point of the micro-4/3rds platform (small sensor) was that it made for small cameras and small lenses that were good to put in a pocket - high tech multi-lens phone photography definitely cannibalises that market, and the small sensors meant they were never really going to cut it as a professional camera. The others are just pro cameras without a mirror/prism that means they can be half an inch narrower and half a pound lighter. They still do everything else the same, including spying on your neighbour with your 800mm lens.

Also piss off @moorey when was the last time you posted anything in the appropriate thread? :p

moorey

call me Mia
Situation makes sense with Olympus because the main selling point of the micro-4/3rds platform (small sensor) was that it made for small cameras and small lenses that were good to put in a pocket - high tech multi-lens phone photography definitely cannibalises that market, and the small sensors meant they were never really going to cut it as a professional camera. The others are just pro cameras without a mirror/prism that means they can be half an inch narrower and half a pound lighter. They still do everything else the same, including spying on your neighbour with your 800mm lens.

Also piss off @moorey when was the last time you posted anything in the appropriate thread? :p
Hey! I’ve not posted a dog pic in years!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mirrorless is the future but I have too much money tied up in good glass and the platform isn't compatible and the adapters so far not up to the task. It is coming though.