Little Things You Hate

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
With a forecast el nino looks like we are back to lots of this in the new 2 years.
Yeah looks like it and after that storm we had, there is so much dry shit on the deck ready to go up in flames. Bloody councils havent cleared the branches up.

Downgraded to watch and act while they put out the remaining fires but expecting the SW'erly to send 35-70kph gusts up the gorge later so it might change again.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
We had a close one yesterday. 42⁰ and a decent wind and I thought I heard something about a grinding machine. Took out two houses and a shed. Spread in to grass paddocks, the back end of town was on the verge of evacuation. If the wind had of been from the north we would have been finding somewhere safe.

Screenshot_20230115_054603_WhatsApp.jpg

20230114_161837-01.png

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Tradies taking the piss on quotes. If they don’t want the job I’d prefer they just say so.

Or maybe enough people would accept their stupid prices and they only work half as much?

$26K to dig a 1 metre wide trench 1-2 meters deep and 5 metres long and install an aggregate drain….

Haakon

Maybe they picked up that you didn't like them.

Coates hire, $300 a day and remember to dial-before you dig.
I was super friendly!! Really! It must be a tassie thing, every quote we've had for a bunch of stuff has been insane, and the one quote we had that was halfway reasonable I'm going to have to redo half the job anyway.

Yep, I'm about to learn how to drive a mini excavator :)

nathanm

Eats Squid
I was super friendly!! Really! It must be a tassie thing, every quote we've had for a bunch of stuff has been insane, and the one quote we had that was halfway reasonable I'm going to have to redo half the job anyway.

Yep, I'm about to learn how to drive a mini excavator :)
It's just a recent thing in Tassie. Pre-building boom you could get a tradie cheap and quick and they were pretty good as everyone knows every one in Tassie so reputations counted. Now no one is any of the cheap, quick or good scale.
Give it another year or two and they'll be all back to scrambling for work, but will all still be rubbish at it due to Tasmania's lax laws in relation to trade qualifications and accreditations.

Haakon

It's just a recent thing in Tassie. Pre-building boom you could get a tradie cheap and quick and they were pretty good as everyone knows every one in Tassie so reputations counted. Now no one is any of the cheap, quick or good scale.
Give it another year or two and they'll be all back to scrambling for work, but will all still be rubbish at it due to Tasmania's lax laws in relation to trade qualifications and accreditations.
Yeah right. Ok, thats at least nice to know its not just me! Guess the house renos will take an extra year or two and I'll be collecting some new skills and tools along the way! Might still be shit quality work, but at least the price will be right...

nathanm

Eats Squid
Yeah right. Ok, thats at least nice to know its not just me! Guess the house renos will take an extra year or two and I'll be collecting some new skills and tools along the way! Might still be shit quality work, but at least the price will be right...
Yep, if you want something done these days it is cheaper and better to do it yourself. It's a sad state of affairs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tradies taking the piss on quotes. If they don’t want the job I’d prefer they just say so.

Or maybe enough people would accept their stupid prices and they only work half as much?

$26K to dig a 1 metre wide trench 1-2 meters deep and 5 metres long and install an aggregate drain….
Wow! That's on the expensive side. Try some other people, but Hobart is the mecca for investors ATM and these building trades are taking advantage of them. Brisbane is pretty much the same, some of the prices for labour have almost doubled in the last 2 years.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Wow! That's on the expensive side. Try some other people, but Hobart is the mecca for investors ATM and these building trades are taking advantage of them. Brisbane is pretty much the same, some of the prices for labour have almost doubled in the last 2 years.
mate of mine has been slumming it in a LBS for the past couple of years but has now gone back to running the family electrical business as they have something like 60+ new homes to wire over the next two years.
Another mate is also as sparkie and does retail work exclusively as he's able to pick up and charge a healthy $100+ hour for the money for jam work like fitting powerpoints and new light switches in household jobs that the other companies are too busy for as they're all doing the new fit outs. He was bored by the monotony of laying 100's of meters of cable :p each and every day.
Give you a bit of context as to why trades are so difficult to secure and why they cost so much here in Tas and most other states ATM.

Flow-Rider

Burner
mate of mine has been slumming it in a LBS for the past couple of years but has now gone back to running the family electrical business as they have something like 60+ new homes to wire over the next two years.
Another mate is also as sparkie and does retail work exclusively as he's able to pick up and charge a healthy $100+ hour for the money for jam work like fitting powerpoints and new light switches in household jobs that the other companies are too busy for as they're all doing the new fit outs. He was bored by the monotony of laying 100's of meters of cable :p each and every day.
Give you a bit of context as to why trades are so difficult to secure and why they cost so much here in Tas and most other states ATM.
I do most of the handy man stuff myself, and luckily I know an electrician that I've used for a long time. You can call the plumber for a simple job here, and if it's not over $500 they won't even bother showing up. All the low to medium paying jobs here, people just ghost the employer when they find a better job.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid

Ill fly down and do it for half. You don't even have to put up for my airfare or accommodation,

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I do most of the handy man stuff myself, and luckily I know an electrician that I've used for a long time. You can call the plumber for a simple job here, and if it's not over $500 they won't even bother showing up. All the low to medium paying jobs here, people just ghost the employer when they find a better job.
tasmania has been on the maybe list for a tree change in the foreseeable future. I cant work out if you guys are trying to surreptitiously dissuade people from making the move to keep the place as idyllic as possible, or its a fair warning