Little Things You Hate

Norco Maniac

Is back!
they missed it? hope that got sorted quickly. And all gone now?

Im doing ok since they emptied my stomach and removed all the pressure, it unkinked itself. Of course i stll get that feeling that every twinge is either another blockage or sign cancer is back
Yes that's the scary thing, isn't it, always at the back of your mind. My primary tumour went undiagnosed (even with ovarian surgery) for another 5 years before i became so sick i collapsed and had to go in for testing.

This recent CT contrast scan says no visible recurrence, so I'm sitting at around 5 1/2 years since the initial all clear, 6 is the first milestone that means long-term survival.

Have they given you any strategies to prevent a recurrence of this latest trouble?

Flow-Rider

Burner
@Haakon This is what happens when you do a proper home inspection. Most of the time people that are doing these inspections are ex builders themselves and still have ties in the industry and deliberately miss a lot of things, even then you can't use their report in any legal action and you have to involve other professionals from the building trade and no one wants to get involved. If there's one industry that needs to be audited, it's the building industry.

Shocking cost of exposing dodgy Aussie homes as death threats sent to viral inspector

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
@Haakon This is what happens when you do a proper home inspection. Most of the time people that are doing these inspections are ex builders themselves and still have ties in the industry and deliberately miss a lot of things, even then you can't use their report in any legal action and you have to involve other professionals from the building trade and no one wants to get involved. If there's one industry that needs to be audited, it's the building industry.

Shocking cost of exposing dodgy Aussie homes as death threats sent to viral inspector
Yeah I saw that... Its a worry! I reckon if this house was built today it would fail a few things - some very entertaining "she'll be right" approaches to the tradies in 1968 Hobart that built it :oops: Not much has changed...

But its still standing so nothing too dire at least... It is all hardwood framing so possibly a bit more robust.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah I saw that... Its a worry! I reckon if this house was built today it would fail a few things - some very entertaining "she'll be right" approaches to the tradies in 1968 Hobart that built it :oops: Not much has changed...

But its still standing so nothing too dire at least... It is all hardwood framing so possibly a bit more robust.
Old houses are strong and over engineered usually, outlast anything from the 90's onwards I would say if they've been looked after.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Old houses are strong and over engineered usually, outlast anything from the 90's onwards I would say if they've been looked after.
As someone who lived in and had mates who lived in a succession of ancient share houses I can anecdotally confirm that old places can handle an outstanding amount of abuse and neglect, and things that look like they may give way at any moment just refuse to forever(ish).

Why the downturn in the 90s specifically?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
As someone who lived in and had mates who lived in a succession of ancient share houses I can anecdotally confirm that old places can handle an outstanding amount of abuse and neglect, and things that look like they may give way at any moment just refuse to forever(ish).

Why the downturn in the 90s specifically?
Having gone to uni in Dunedin for 5 years (one of the coldest wettest places in NZ).
The old villas were.....ancient. Cold, mouldy (think black mould), drafty etc. However, the workmanship was better than most modern houses in NZ!