Little Things You Hate

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
No idea, but he doesn't have much to say in favour of the thing.
Well, first thing of course is that data is not the plural of anecdote. One example with unknown maintenance history doesn’t condemn a model.

Main reason I’ve always had odd French stuff is that I buy them very cheap from people like your mate who jsut want to get rid of them, and then I go through them reversing out all the dumb shit mechanics have done to them to fuck them up and then I’m left with a nice reliable cheap car :)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Main reason I’ve always had odd French stuff is that I buy them very cheap from people like your mate who jsut want to get rid of them, and then I go through them reversing out all the dumb shit mechanics have done to them to fuck them up and then I’m left with a nice reliable cheap car :)
Nothing to do with your masochism fetish?

Haakon

This is a particular reason Hyundai did so well in Australia. It’s not particularly because their cars are good (although they actually are very good), it’s just they have a hassle free warranty and dealer support and make sure parts are cheaply and easily got.

You need two things to succeed - a good product and good support. Audi only does one of these things….

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is a particular reason Hyundai did so well in Australia. It’s not particularly because their cars are good (although they actually are very good), it’s just they have a hassle free warranty and dealer support and make sure parts are cheaply and easily got.

You need two things to succeed - a good product and good support. Audi only does one of these things….
The early Hyundais were a cheap and simple reliable small car, if parents didn't want their kids in a second hand car that's what they usually bought. They had their fair share of problems, but mechanically they ran for a long time. Not sure how many 100's of door handles and window regs I replaced on them. I bet there were some,"Dad No, just No," moments when parents brought the Excel home to their kids, they were a boring car to test drive, let alone own.

Haakon

The early Hyundais were a cheap and simple reliable small car, if parents didn't want their kids in a second hand car that's what they usually bought. They had their fair share of problems, but mechanically they ran for a long time. Not sure how many 100's of door handles and window regs I replaced on them. I bet there were some,"Dad No, just No," moments when parents brought the Excel home to their kids, they were a boring car to test drive, let alone own.
My uncle bought my Gran one of the very first ones (the rebodied Mitx Colt) back in 1988 - base model something like $7K brand new. Went forever with zero problems. Solid little unit with no pretensions.
The bubble Excels had a high profile problem with the chassis rail welds coming undone, big recall to rivet them back together - but it was done well with little hassle to owners so it didn’t kill their reputation or sales - this is where the euros in Australia go wrong… Every modeL will have some sort of problem, it’s jsut how they deal with it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My uncle bought my Gran one of the very first ones (the rebodied Mitx Colt) back in 1988 - base model something like $7K brand new. Went forever with zero problems. Solid little unit with no pretensions.
The bubble Excels had a high profile problem with the chassis rail welds coming undone, big recall to rivet them back together - but it was done well with little hassle to owners so it didn’t kill their reputation or sales - this is where the euros in Australia go wrong… Every modeL will have some sort of problem, it’s jsut how they deal with it.
Behold my Excel X2 AKA 'The Goat' that I accidentally had for 20+ years. Cost small change to keep it running and the A/C always worked.

Not the car you need if you want to get their in style nor impress your friends. Went well enough and you would have to try hard to get a speeding ticket. A bike will fit in the back with both wheels on.

I miss the honest goat in hindsight.

20151003_104648.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Behold my Excel X2 AKA 'The Goat' that I accidentally had for 20+ years. Cost small change to keep it running and the A/C always worked.

Not the car you need if you want to get their in style nor impress your friends. Went well enough and you would have to try hard to get a speeding ticket. A bike will fit in the back with both wheels on.

I miss the honest goat in hindsight.

View attachment 384234
Did you win the race, looks like you have some racing rub marks their mate?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Did you win the race, looks like you have some racing rub marks their mate?
Car park derby from memory. Park at a shopping centre and return to car to find a free unwanted addition :/

The fuel filled flap in a different shade of blue was from the factory. I guess they did those on a Friday afternoon.

Haakon

Shopping centres are no fun, I usually park far away from the crowd and when I come back there are cars next to me.
This is why I’m going to enjoy driving my Megane project car around. A presentable but not by a long shot immaculate body with already a fair few battle scars on it. Mechanically A1 and a mint interior, but zero fucks required in car parks!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The early Hyundais were a cheap and simple reliable small car
Had an early 90s excel that suffered only the muffler almost completely rusting away in 240,000km. Did duty hauling dogs and camping. Had a rock chip in a headlight and was going to put silicon in it just to keep water out until i discovered a complete headlight was under $100. If only the i30n wasnt a 6 month wait like everything else these days.

cammas

Seamstress
LTIH: manual labour, had to pull out some uprights of a colorbond fencing to straighten them, then realign it and set up some uprights for some sleepers. Now tomorrow I have to lay some pavers and potentially some more sleepers, now my problem not lies in the work but how I feel afterward, fark I get sore plus it takes away from riding time.
LTIL: the guy across the road sees me sweating my arse off digging out one of the holes and comes across the road to offer me the use of his jackhammer. Fark there is some good people near besides the bogans next door, who can suck some dogs balls, especially after they killed most of my front yard when they poisoned their weeds.